Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Reg SX4 for India, I would be very surprised if it makes it to India in its hatch avatar. If at all they do it, I would accept then that Maruti is changing to be new age automobile company who wants to try new ideas and dare to experiment! Till today, i dont think they have any of these qualities...hmmm may be a little with Swift...but it is more because of Suzuki not Maruti.

I would like to see a 2l CRDI version of 4x4 SX4, with ABS/EBD, atleast twin airbags, alloys for not more than 8l otr. What do you people think!
Given that the Business Standard report describes the new vehicle as an SUV and the fact that Maruti's license agreement with FIAT includes JTD 1.9, it seems likely that Maruti will be launching the hatchback version fitted with the 2 litre FIAT CRDI engine (1.9 JTD) which should be good enough for the Grand Vitara too (in its 150 BHP avatar). Remember, the BS report also talks about Maruti's efforts at localising the Vitara, in order to reduce its price. Times are definitely changing at Maruti!
Old 11th January 2007, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. Maruti seems to have come a long way. From being known as a company that never retires its products and instead makes minor mods and then labels it as "All new M800 or whatever", they have now become so aggressive. Ditched the Zen, brought in the new Estilo, a new product in the Swift, the Baleno to be brought in a completely new avatar, duo engines, diesel powerplants etc etc. Way to go, Suzuki.

The SX4 is one neat car and would like to have it here. Don't really care whether it is called the Baleno or SX4 or whatever.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:

I would like to see a 2l CRDI version of 4x4 SX4, with ABS/EBD, atleast twin airbags, alloys for not more than 8l otr. What do you people think!
All that for 8L otr .... WOW! That would be aggressive pricing going by the BS report. You also have to note that even if the hatch is priced at 8L, the sedan has to be priced more. Remember we expect hatches to be less expensive than the sedans, no matter what bells and whistles the hatches have.

The BS report talks of a 9-12L price band. The model you are referring to will be placed right at the top of that bracket. No prices for guessing that the SX4 hatch will not sell if priced at 12L in India. Not just because it is a "Maruti", but because it is a crossover hatch - not a regular SUV. It's a new territory. Which is why it would be a bold move if Maruti launches the hatch.

We probably should rename the thread as "Maruti launching SX4 hatch?".
Old 12th January 2007, 05:55   #19
BHPian

First, Maruti is a company which is in a delegate situation where it can not be very aggressive in pricing. In India it is known as a people mover maker! They can not unfortunately act like Toyota or Honda when it comes to pricing. One find example is Grand Vitara. Eventhough 4x4 mini SUVs are Suzuki's cakewalk elsewhere, they couldn't convert that success here in India. I hardly see those vehicles in the roads, because in that price range, they have to compete with Honda CRVs or Tuscons which is very difficult.

Secondly, size wise, SX4 is not at all comparable with Tuscon for ex which is a 2l CRDi 4x4 with big wheels. Tuscon is also a comfy 5 seater with tall specs, available for around Rs.15l otr. Personally, I would prefer to go for well-reviewed Tuscon or proven Vitara rather than SX4, for their sheer size. For a buyer in this kinda range, who is going to fork out 12l+ is not a great deal to add in just 20-30% more and take the really bigger Vitara or Tuscon.

So, I would be happy if SX4 is fitted against the likes of top end Scorpio or Safari and priced around them with a little bit of premium. Size still not at comparable with these biggies as well, but it doesn't matter anymore, because, Suzuki has its other advantages of after sales/cheap spares/reliability/brand etc.

So, max 9l for the top end is the right price and anything above, we are going to see another Vitara story here...
Old 12th January 2007, 12:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
You also have to note that even if the hatch is priced at 8L, the sedan has to be priced more. Remember we expect hatches to be less expensive than the sedans, no matter what bells and whistles the hatches have.
Its not like a simple hatch and sedan... Its more of like an SUV... A modern softroader like the CRV, for instance...

So... I think the price is fair...
Old 12th January 2007, 12:31   #21
BHPian

The SX4 is a real looker. Indian car scene sure is hotting up, but where are the roads :(
Old 13th January 2007, 09:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its not like a simple hatch and sedan... Its more of like an SUV... A modern softroader like the CRV, for instance...

So... I think the price is fair...
I agree it's not just another hatch and it has to be more expensive than even a premium hatch. I was only stating what people might perceive if both the SX4 and the SX4 sedan are launched in India. It will take some time for people to change their perceptions. Really depends a lot on how MUL markets the SX4.

Quote:
So, I would be happy if SX4 is fitted against the likes of top end Scorpio or Safari and priced around them with a little bit of premium. Size still not at comparable with these biggies as well, but it doesn't matter anymore, because, Suzuki has its other advantages of after sales/cheap spares/reliability/brand etc.

So, max 9l for the top end is the right price and anything above, we are going to see another Vitara story here...
Size will be a problem, but if priced properly this is a segment where MUL can expect SX4 to compete for qualities other than size.
Old 13th January 2007, 16:02   #23
BHPian

the baleno is derived from the SX4.I saw picture of it.The baleno is only a SX4 where Suzuki has added a boot only that.I think the Baleno will not get 4WD transmission.In Europe the Sx4 can come with the 1.9 JTD from Fiat in 120 hp version.That engine is used on so many vehicules in Europe such the Alfa romeo 159 sedan and stationwagon, the Opel Movano, The Renault Trafic new gen, the Opel Vectra , the Opel Astra, Fiat cars of course, saab 9-3 and 9-5
.That engine can out put between 120 hp and 212 hp when it gets a twin turbo system ,that version was shown on a Opel Vectra OPC concept years ago i think 2 years ago.
If the new Baleno get that engine it will be a very good news , have many path for tuning.
Old 13th January 2007, 16:53   #24
BHPian

Maruti launching SX4

The new Baleno looks just like SX4 till the center pillar. The front view is ditto like SX4 including european styled headlamp cluster, grill etc. The wheel is smaller with 14in alloys against the 16inches for SX4. Interior nobody knows exactly as its not out yet. But please i do not think for sure SX4 XOver is a sister to Baleno sedan like UV-A to Aveo or Indica to Indigo. SX4 and Baleno are two different concepts, one is a simple sedan upgrade and another is radical shift?! in car design you accept it or not.

You have to drive the SX4 to agree on this. I have driven this beauty almost 2k and it handles like a car but you sit like as you are in a SUV. This is what the SUV lovers (atleast I) need. We do not want to sacrifice the stability for that look-down others view!

No harm in relating these two but when it comes to pricing, its not at all meaningful to follow the same pricing method as that of Aveo-UV-A or Indica/Indigo stuff. hope im clear!
Old 13th January 2007, 21:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, launching the SX4 hatch with 4wd is not a good idea for Indian market. Even in Europe this is a niche segment and only farmers in rural areas who cannot afford big SUVs go for it. If launched it will meet the same fate as Fusion and SRV, probably worse because of the 4wd. The 1.9 diesel will have to be imported and this will hurt pricing.

The only other SUV I can think of is the Jimny.

Old 14th January 2007, 00:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Frankly, launching the SX4 hatch with 4wd is not a good idea for Indian market. Even in Europe this is a niche segment and only farmers in rural areas who cannot afford big SUVs go for it. If launched it will meet the same fate as Fusion and SRV, probably worse because of the 4wd. The 1.9 diesel will have to be imported and this will hurt pricing.

The only other SUV I can think of is the Jimny.
If the new Baleno came out with a diesel option, what would it be - the higher bhp(compared to the Swift) 1.3 version or the 1.9 JTD? I was guessing that the 1.9 JTD would also be manufactured in MUL's new diesel engine plant.
Old 14th January 2007, 01:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
If the new Baleno came out with a diesel option, what would it be - the higher bhp(compared to the Swift) 1.3 version or the 1.9 JTD? I was guessing that the 1.9 JTD would also be manufactured in MUL's new diesel engine plant.
It will most likely be the 16V version or even the 1.4 version of the 1.3 JTD.
Old 14th January 2007, 08:25   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It will most likely be the 16V version or even the 1.4 version of the 1.3 JTD.
I highly doubt it... Please correct me if wrong...

Does Maruti have rights to modify the engine???

i thought they had just bought the rights to sell the engine through their old allaince...
Old 14th January 2007, 10:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I highly doubt it... Please correct me if wrong...

Does Maruti have rights to modify the engine???

i thought they had just bought the rights to sell the engine through their old allaince...
All these variants are existing FIAT designs and are currently sold in Europe. For ex the 1.4 is a bored out version used in the Opel Agila. Of course, this is just my educated guess. 1.9 is an all new engine and would be unnecessary.
Old 14th January 2007, 18:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

leaving aside the drivetrain combinations and permutations available to suzuki for their SX4/New Baleno platform, I can safely say that it would be a brilliant move to introduce both in the Indian market for obvious reasons.

There is no reason that the SX4 hatch cannot do well even with a price tag of 9 lacs. I do believe there is a market for small, lifestyle SUV/sport hatch, especially in diesel guise. Maruti's aggressive localisation and platform/parts sharing can result in even lower on-road prices.

Most Viewed