Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti launching SX4?

I came across this interesting news report about Maruti launching an all-new SUV to be priced between Rs. 9 to 12 lacs. The new SUV will be positioned between the Gypsy and the Grand Vitara. The report doesn't name the vehicle but I suspect it will be the SX4 co-developed by Suzuki and FIAT during their honeymoon days.

Maruti already has a license from FIAT for manufacturing JTD 1.9, the diesel engine that powers SX4 in Europe. Also, the new Baleno is based on the SX 4 platform. Already reports have appeared about the new Baleno possibly featuring the JTD 1.9.

Here's the link to the Business Standard report:

Companies & Industry=
Old 9th January 2007, 14:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The SX4 will be sweet if launched here. With the Swift, new Baleno and the SX4 sharing a common platform, Maruti could look to aggressively price the SX4 if they power it with the new Baleno's 1.6L engine as well. Internationally the SX4 comes with a 1.6L VVT petrol anyhow alongwith the 1.9L DDiS.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

India being diesel territory, SX4 with the JTD 1.9 should be a runaway success. Yes, sharing the same platform and engine by various Maruti offerings would generate plenty of economies. Don't know though as to who would benefit from them - Maruti car buyers or Maruti shareholders! After all, these would be Maruti's top-end cars.

SX4 details are available here:

Suzuki SX4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

www.suzukisx4.com

Last edited by directinjection : 9th January 2007 at 15:22.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Would be nice to have the SX4 in India. It'll be a different kind of car. Probably can compare it to the Fusion? I don't think it will be accepted as an SUV though. It does have off-road capabilities. It is sold as a cross-over vehicle in the European markets.

Here's a review on the UK version of the SX4 -

Suzuki SX4 (06 on) Review - Parker's
Old 9th January 2007, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Maruti.. SX4 is lovely...
Old 9th January 2007, 15:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Sx4 is itself nothing but the new baleno.
Old 9th January 2007, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
The Sx4 is itself nothing but the new baleno.
SX4 is a hatch while the new Baleno is a three box sedan.
SX4 is available with 4-wheel drive but the new Baleno is not.

Haven't compared their specifications yet but there should be other difference as well:
  1. Wheelbase: SX4 has a wheelbase of 2500 MM. New Baleno's should be lesser.
  2. Ground clearance: SX4's must be higher, even for the 2-wheel drive version.
  3. Wheel and tyre size: SX4's figures would be higher.
  4. Gear Ratios. SX4's gearing should be lower.
Old 9th January 2007, 16:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

They both are the same platform SX-4 or baleno. It's just like palio/petra or indica/indigo.
Old 9th January 2007, 16:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They both are the same platform SX-4 or baleno. It's just like palio/petra or indica/indigo.
It's more like this:

Swift -> Palio
New Baleno -> Petra
SX4 (4wd) -> Nothing
Sx4 (2wd) -> Adventure (more or less).

I would love to have an SX4 sold in India.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

WOW!!!

Great news... Though the price shouldnt be 9-10L. Since, they baleno based on the SX4 will be out too, the pricing should only be .75L more than the baleno... About 8L would be a good price...

We'll have a better SUV to be used in the city mainly, without giving scares on highway runs...

Above 9L... Suzuki is no Honda... Into civic and corolla range with a 5 seater SUV is not going to be easy...
Old 10th January 2007, 10:42   #11
BHPian

@directinjection,

Here's a story that I had googled in 2005. The link still exists. The thought of a crossover car interested me and I followed the developments for a few months. I soon realised that this was the SX4.

Suzuki’s new model in India - Deccan Herald

What confuses me is why did Suzuki suddenly decide to launch a sedan version? Was it because of our love for "booted cars"? Or is Suzuki launching both the sedan and the hatch in India?

I'd love to get a scoop on the hatch plans ....
Old 10th January 2007, 11:31   #12
BHPian

Guys,
I proudly own a SX4 here (Brunei) and it took me less than 2 days to decided on it. Its surely a better choice available here in this price range (Brunei$21k equal to Rs.6lks). Its a 1.6 VVT Auto Petrol with ABS/EBD twin airbags, factory fitted MP3/WMA CD Player with 8 speakers. Just completed first service after 1k mileage. As an typical Indian auto mind, i have to say something about the fuel consumption rite? :-) its surely better than even my Santro '02 model in India. There is this fuel/mileage indicator which shows easily 16-19km/l average most of the time, esp when my wife maintains around 80kmph. Actually I wanted to get the 4WD 1.9JTD but unfortunately it is not available here. Size wise its quite taller than any sedan but surely shorter than Suzuki Vitara. Comfortably fits 5 ppl. The back seat is a bit higher than the front, so it feels very comfy when sitting in the back. Rear seats are 60:40 splittable/foldable, not flat though.
Initial opinion : its worth every penny, with all kinds of features like 16inch sport alloys, roof rails, nice audio system etc. Suzuki out side India, normally does a no nonsense job in terms of fit and finish! Comes with black/grey interior and black Nylon seats, not like the typical fabric which is a big relief for me! The car is made in Japan and not like Toyota Vios in this range which is a lousy 1.5l Thai make and a gas guzzler. More over you see 100s of Vios in the road and you do not feel proud of anymore owning it. But SX4 is a stunner and a head turner wherever i go.
My idea is to bring it back to india if it all i want it. As this is a 1.6l i can get some subsidy in Customs duty which will be max 70% for a min of one year old car.
I really afraid, this suv styled SX4 will not make it to India sooner. I heard and read somewhere that the salooner will be the first to make it to the Indian roads.
Cheers...
Old 10th January 2007, 14:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Guys,
80kmph. Actually I wanted to get the 4WD 1.9JTD but unfortunately it is not available here. Size wise its quite taller than any sedan but surely shorter than Suzuki Vitara. Comfortably fits 5 ppl. The back seat is a bit higher than the front, so it feels very comfy when sitting in the back. Rear seats are 60:40 splittable/foldable, not flat though.
Initial opinion : its worth every penny, with all kinds of features like feel proud of anymore owning it. But SX4 is a stunner and a head turner wherever i go.
My idea is to bring it back to india if it all i want it. As this is a 1.6l i can get some subsidy in Customs duty which will be max 70% for a min of one year old car.
I really afraid, this suv styled SX4 will not make it to India sooner. I heard and read somewhere that the salooner will be the first to make it to the Indian roads.
Cheers...
That's a nice review. Seems like a great car you have there! Also seems good on the mileage front.

I like to go out on long trips in my car so here's my favourite question - how large is the boot? You said the 4WD is not available - what about the 2WD 1.9JTD?
Old 10th January 2007, 15:55   #14
BHPian

CBlazer:
The boot is reasonably good. Check out the info below: comfortably fits 2 big and 2 small luggages. More than enough as its a hatchback...

Luggage Capacity (rear seats up): 270 litres VDA
Luggage Capacity (rear seats tumble folded): 625 litres VDA
Luggage Capacity (to roof, rear seats folded): 1,045 litres VDA

I didnt get any of the diesel versions here. Just one model 1.6glx being imported at the moment.
Old 11th January 2007, 08:27   #15
BHPian

Reg SX4 for India, I would be very surprised if it makes it to India in its hatch avatar. If at all they do it, I would accept then that Maruti is changing to be new age automobile company who wants to try new ideas and dare to experiment! Till today, i dont think they have any of these qualities...hmmm may be a little with Swift...but it is more because of Suzuki not Maruti.

I would like to see a 2l CRDI version of 4x4 SX4, with ABS/EBD, atleast twin airbags, alloys for not more than 8l otr. What do you people think!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks