Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2018, 17:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

One thing I can't fathom is the Yaris in the death throes! Had it been realeased along with the City, I may have got the Yaris. Is it that bad to 'deserve' just 421 units in Oct '18. 7 airbags, discs all round all the safety features one would want in a C segment sedan and it's a Toyota, leaves me scratching my scalp!! It isn't that overpriced for what it offers, engine is must be at par with the Ciaz and also comes with a CVT!!
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 17:13   #17
BHPian

Hyundai
- Santro has boosted Hyundai sales and Hyundai have breached the 50K mark after a long time. Well done Hyundai!
- Good to see that Verna is consistently doing around 3.5K per month

Maruti
- Maruti must be worried. No VERY WORRIED by the Santro
- S-cross has not been such a success for Maruti. It's still struggling around the 3K mark and well short of their target of 5K per month.

Ford
- Bad to see such poor numbers for Figo but hey Ford must be happy with the numbers for Freestyle

Honda
- BRV was a good concept but led down by the poor implementation.
- I was hoping that Jazz would sell around the 3K mark per month but it's sales has been cannibalized by WRV and that's not such a bad thing for Honda

Mahindra
- Why are they still counting Nuvosport?

Renault
- Only one word on the Captur numbers. They DESERVE it. Let's hope they pick up lessons from it and don't sell cheap products at premium price.

TATA
- NEXON = A hit
- TIGAO = Another hit

Toyota
- YARIS = A flop. Let's hope we get good discounts

Last edited by searacer932 : 10th November 2018 at 17:17.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 18:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
It isn't that overpriced for what it offers
The country doesn't think so!

City is overpriced, but it has the backing of nearly two decades of trust built up in the market. Toyota simply got greedy trying to price their product even further especially when their last attempt was a flop.

I believe they might have had a fighting chance if priced against Verna instead.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 19:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Mitsubishi has always been non existent for owners. Have never visited an ASS in the last 6.5 years for my 7 years old Pajero. Apart from ripping off owners they never had anything worthwhile in the service department. Totally in contrast with the amazing machines they build.
Completely agree! Also, shouldn't Outlander be added to the list of models sold under the HM-Mitsu brand?
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 19:37   #20
BHPian

Sales Revenue calculation for October 2018 has been done and posted here (Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker).

Top 25 cars based on sales revenue:
October 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top_25_cars_revenue_oct_18.jpg

OEM Market Share based on Revenue:
October 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oem_market_share_oct_18.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2018 at 07:57. Reason: Uploading images as attachments
jpcoolguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 22:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
One thing I can't fathom is the Yaris in the death throes! Had it been realeased along with the City, I may have got the Yaris. Is it that bad to 'deserve' just 421 units in Oct '18. 7 airbags, discs all round all the safety features one would want in a C segment sedan and it's a Toyota, leaves me scratching my scalp!! It isn't that overpriced for what it offers, engine is must be at par with the Ciaz and also comes with a CVT!!
The City seats five in comfort and the petrol is a gem, the diesel accounts for a good percentage of sales, especially for high mileage users. These, mileage and space, are the two primary selling points for nearly every successful vehicle. The Toyota badge doesn't have any value over a Honda in the sedan space, especially over the City. Reliability is something that Honda has mastered, Toyota can't squeeze any premium on that count. The Etios did the ground work in creating the low rent perception. Disc brakes all around mean little, a lot of manufacturers have figured out an effective combination of discs and drums, the Toyota is no power horse to require disc brakes.

The sales reflect the complete misreading of the market by Toyota, I'm not surprised it's outsold by the Rapid, although old Skoda has advertised and pushed it really hard. The VW twins are better equipped with better drivetrains and continuously upgraded. The Verna is a segment above in terms of specs.
avira_tk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 00:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Marazzo is a disappointment to me. It should have taken market share from Innova, which is not a self driven vehicle in many of the purchases. The Marazzo interior comfort is comparable at about half the price. The engine is competent and shouldn't matter.

It's just the second month and very early to judge. Let's see sales performance of November, when most of the Diwali and Dhanteras purchases have come. Considering the number of Marazzos I saw for delivery at the Dealer, I think this vehicle will clock in the high 4000 to 5000 initially, and ought to eat up the market of the BRV and Lodgy (what little remains of these), and some part of Ertiga volumes as well. If the vehicle really proves to be a hit, I think some Innova numbers will also be up for grabs

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 11th November 2018 at 00:41.
HighwayofLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 12:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

By any performance yardstick, the Yaris seems to be a Dud! In spite of segment first 6 airbags and automatic options in every variant, customers have preferred the Ciaz, City and Verna. These three cars clock 10k between them every month. And the Yaris is well below 700 units on an average! Toyota did not do a bad job with the Yaris like the Etios, but customers are not taking a liking to the product.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yaris is a Petrol-only offering. Do we have the Petrol/Diesel breakup of it's main competitors?
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 14:08   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yaris is a Petrol-only offering. Do we have the Petrol/Diesel breakup of it's main competitors?
The market is clearly biased towards petrols now with the Ciaz, City all selling more than 75% of their petrols rather than diesels.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ne-2018-a.html (Model-wise Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Jan - June 2018))

Same reason why the Yaris was launched as 'petrol only'.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yaris' low sales are nothing to do with petrol or diesel. Most Sedans sold are petrol thess days, given the NGT's special hatred of diesels. The Yaris hasn't sold because Toyota has been greedy in the way they've priced it. It just isn't a VFM package for what it offers, just like the Etios. If the Marazzo does well, it will do the same to the Innova, not in the same scale perhaps, but something similar. Let's hope that turns into a price reduction on the GX variants of the Crysta.
HighwayofLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 23:17   #27
BHPian

The initial Amaze "craze" seems to have blown over and as expected it is settling around a respectable 4-5k a month. Honda seems to have cleared off the backlogs for Amaze as seen from the numbers of the of the other cars. City and WR-V both see a substantial increase in numbers as a result. Honda it seems is not too bothered in the sales of Jazz and it is in the list only to make up the numbers for the other models with common parts.
feluda86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 23:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see Brezza doing well after AMT's launch! Will keep an close eye, since there are no other alternative for a reliable Diesel auto with good safety rating(ironic).

Tigor has seen increase in dispatch of the facelift, with almost no mechanical changes to it, I don't expect it to do better numbers than the one I have, I don't expect it to fail either.

Santro, expected more dispatch from Hyundai, all their products usually sell more than expected after a launch and settle down to second or third position in their segments, Santro seems to be lagging here! Another i10 in the making?

Germans : After reading about the issues in Korean car maker and Toyota's mighty Innova (alignment, brakes, tyre related), I went to have a glance at the Germans, to my surprise most owner seem to be having a great time with their machines, VW post 2014 seems very reliable, service too seems ok ok type. We might see good increase in sales.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 06:48   #29
BHPian

I have a feeling that Fiat and Jeep are going the Chevrolet way. I don't see how a dealership and service network can be sustained with sales of few hundred fiat cars and 1150 Jeep Compass. GM closed Chevrolet in India despite having higher sales than this.

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 12th November 2018 at 06:51.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 07:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

9 out of 17 mass market PV makers witness sales decline in April-October.

- Volkswagen(24.28 %) , Skoda (1.48 %), Renault ( 26.17%) and Nissan (26.81%)are part of this group.

Manufactures that posted positive growth during that period are:

- Maruti Suzuki with 9.1%, Hyundai grows 3.86 per cent, Mahindra & Mahindra registered 0.45 %, Honda with 2.98% , Tata with 25.65 , TKM with 14.69 Ford with 15.5 and FCA with 28.99% have posted positive growth.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks