Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 11:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: E-trio plans to launch retrofitted electric Alto & Wagon-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazayal View Post
Can someone do the math as to in which conditions this thing is going to make economic sense? I can't make sense out of this.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What price does one put on the refinement, the zero engine noise, the no gear drive, the instant torque and the not having to worry about regular service?
This is a viable solution only when one's small car has a lot of engine / drive-train issues and is burning a hole in the pocket for maintenance. (Even then - only if the owner has an emotional attachment with the car and isn't able to part with it!)

We are looking at a roughly 3-4 Lakh worth of car as donor, then the added cost of electrification, charging installation at parking etc. Servicing of rolling stock, steering gear etc will all be required anyway. Its only the engine and transmission related maintenance like oil changes, belt adjustments that we'll get rid of. Then the car will become a restricted city run-about exclusively without any option to take it out of town even for exceptions... To me its too many compromises vis-a-vis what we get in return. For now its only for those who have a car + money simply lying around in home without any other purpose for it.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th September 2019 at 11:47.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 14:03   #32
BHPian

Even if the electric drive motor is regen type, the recharging in braking mode is very limited. I suggest, since the power train is apparently loading only the front wheels, the rear wheels, which are free, should be loaded with hub mounted alternators / dynamos for generating the power on the move and recharge the battery on the move and see the difference. Of course, the extra load will necessitate higher capacity of the drive motor, but with trial and error I am sure the range will definitely go up
refaircargo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate their effort but it may just turnout to be another company that benefits from the T-hub startups. Feel sorry for the investors as none of the options are economically viable. If there is no price correction, it won't be long before they vanish into thin air after making 'sensational headline' few months before.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 16:24   #34
BHPian

At 3-4 lakhs of retrofit, I think its a good economic proposition. How does it help:

a) Bring cost of running to Re. 1 per km compared to Rs. 5 for a petrol vehicles. For people with running of 1000 km per month - thats a straight saving of Rs. 4000 per month. Plus you are insulated against oil shocks

b) Longevity of the car. This is aimed at 5+ and preferably 10yr+ old cars where engine life was coming to an end and with Govt going strict on IC vehicles the registration may not get extended.

c) Compared to a new EV. Cheapest EV is expected to be 10L so 4L seems a steal

In my view, economics are all sorted and the catch is in winning consumer trust. They need to win the trust with sound & proven technology, warranty on parts & battery and after sales service. If they are able to do that perhaps in collaboration with a larger car manufacturer or 3rd party component manufacturer then they have a winner.

~m

Last edited by serious_maniac : 20th September 2019 at 16:26. Reason: typos
serious_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 20:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
+1

Then the car will become a restricted city run-about exclusively without any option to take it out of town even for exceptions... To me its too many compromises vis-a-vis what we get in return.
I agree with the point made here, however, there are many government initiatives which are moving the country towards EV. As per FAME II, the govt is planning for 1 EV charging station per 25km's on national highways. Hyundai has tied up with Indian Oil pumps to install EV stations, and then there is possibility of restaurants and hotels to attract customers by offering free charging for EV's etc as most of it will be subsidized by government. We are just at step 1 and India is gearing up for EV revolution.

There are supermarkets and offices spaces in many countries where they offer free charging for EV vehicles and they get priority parking spaces as well. New EV vehicles are getting subsidy in form of pre-paid card which is loaded with credit for EV charging stations. India should follow the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
I suggest, since the power train is apparently loading only the front wheels, the rear wheels, which are free, should be loaded with hub mounted alternators / dynamos for generating the power on the move and recharge the battery on the move and see the difference.
This is a great idea, I would also suggest that they install a Solar Panel on top of the car, so when it is sitting idle in hot Indian summers, it will recharge itself slowly and it will become self-sustainable. I know they charge slowly, but hey, when I am in office for 9 hours a day, it should do the job or when it is idling at home, it can be parked outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Appreciate their effort but it may just turnout to be another company that benefits from the T-hub startups. Feel sorry for the investors as none of the options are economically viable. If there is no price correction, it won't be long before they vanish into thin air after making 'sensational headline' few months before.
Agree, Kicks and Yaris were launched at hefty prices and they are not putting any charts on fire. Now Nissan has announced a new base variant with better price and Toyota followed the same, however, the damage was already done.

They should have done what MG has done with Hector. MG announced a killer price, and after getting all the hype they need, they are slowly increasing the prices "Introductory Prices" should do the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post

b) Longevity of the car. This is aimed at 5+ and preferably 10yr+ old cars where engine life was coming to an end and with Govt going strict on IC vehicles the registration may not get extended.
Totally agree, it will be a boon for Diesel owners in Delhi especially where the 10 years old Diesel vehicles are not being renewed.

A new EV is never a "GREEN" car, as the metal and plastics are not recycled in new EV. It's not the case with retrofitted EV's, where apart from engine, everything is being recycled and is a true EV (assuming government is providing us with clean energy).
Old 13th February 2023, 21:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The Maruti 800 inspired this electric car.

After a hiatus of a few years, the Chinese brand Jiangnan returns, the appearance of whose new electric car was inspired by the Suzuki Alto, previously produced under license.

he 3.81-meter body has a wheelbase of 2.52 meters and customers will be able to choose from 2 drives. The base electric motor has a power of 75 hp/120 Nm, a range of 305 km according to Chinese standards, while the optional drive motor has a range of 109 hp/160 Nm and the larger – but also unknown capacity – battery has a range of 406 km. U2 prices and distribution dates have not yet been announced by Jiangnan.

E-trio plans to launch retrofitted electric Alto & Wagon-R-jiangnan1.jpg

E-trio plans to launch retrofitted electric Alto & Wagon-R-jiangnan2768x511.jpg

E-trio plans to launch retrofitted electric Alto & Wagon-R-jiangnan3768x768.jpg

E-trio plans to launch retrofitted electric Alto & Wagon-R-jiangnan4768x768.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks