Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 19:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!

Thanks to Sudhir Singh for sending information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!-pricelist-261018-tax-copy.jpg

Toyota is now offering extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km on all models. Earlier, the maximum extension one could avail of was 5 year / 1.8 lakh km.

A total of 10 extended warranty packages are now available with options of one or two more years with a km interval of 20,000 km upto 1.6 lakh km. The 1.8-2.2 lakh km warranties can be availed only for the 4th and 5th years combined.

Prices vary depending on model and the age of the vehicle from the date of delivery. The standard manufacturer warranty is 3 years / 1 lakh km.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 12th November 2018 at 19:10.
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 19:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!

Not surprising if this is coming from Toyota at all.

Those opting for Extended Warranty from Toyota are certainly contributing to the revenues of the Automaker there . But at the same time, it is very imminent that one must opt for Extended Warranty for any new car that is purchased today.

I wouldn't call this a good move by Toyota (you already are) but will appreciate that consistency in delivering reliable and frugal products as always and they lead the way. They may not be 100% free of niggles but the sample is too small to factor when compared with the overall numbers seen on our roads and the occurrence is way too less to rant.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 19:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

2.2 lakh kms in 4th and 5th year translates to an average of 3700 to 6000 kms per month - well above the average that most personal cars would do.

It would be meaningful ONLY if the warranty period was also extended beyond 5 years.

In the current situation, for most folks this warranty would just look good on paper.
AMG Power is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 20:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

It would be meaningful ONLY if the warranty period was also extended beyond 5 years.

In the current situation, for most folks this warranty would just look good on paper.
Yes an extension till the 7th or 8th year would have made more sense for the private car buyers. Now private car owners have to choose from the other schemes available based on their monthly running.

In the current scenario the cab owners should be happy.
Rs 67,960 for an Innova for 220,000 km translates to 30 Paisa per kilometer.
Rs 36,643 for an Etios diesel for 220,000 km translates to 16 Paisa per kilometer!

So it should be a good deal for the fleet owners.
T for Toyota, T for Taxi.

Last edited by Samba : 12th November 2018 at 20:23.
Samba is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 21:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Many owners(on TeamBhp and outside) seems to be having issues related to tyres and alignment, Toyota seems to be least interested, saying it's wear and tear parts hence no replacement/correction will be made under warranty, is this how they are going to make money?
Old 13th November 2018, 09:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Yes an extension till the 7th or 8th year would have made more sense for the private car buyers. Now private car owners have to choose from the other schemes available based on their monthly running.
Toyota does offer warranties up to 7 years. They call it "Timeless Warranty" which is different from their extended packages - related thread (Toyota India's Extended Warranty Plans & Pricing - Up to 7 years of coverage) & their website.

Quote:
Agreed. For most private owners, the Timeless Warranty makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
So it should be a good deal for the fleet owners.
You bet! Another advantage is those fleet owners will keep coming to the authorised workshop for 2 lakh km (versus getting the work done themselves which is very popular with fleets). Net net, Toyota & its dealers make money from:

- The sale of extended warranty packages. It's like an insurance policy where the 'premiums' will easily exceed the 'claims' in Toyota cars (might not be the case with some European brands).

- The continuous maintenance of the said vehicle from the authorised dealer. This is mandatory to keep the warranty intact.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 09:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Many owners(on TeamBhp and outside) seems to be having issues related to tyres and alignment, Toyota seems to be least interested, saying it's wear and tear parts hence no replacement/correction will be made under warranty, is this how they are going to make money?
Car manufacturers do not offer free replacements for wear and tear parts including brake pads/shoes, clutch plates, tyres, wipers among other parts. Unless of course these parts had manufacturing defects from the factory and any failure or compromised performance can be traced to such defects.

For e.g. my car's front brake pads were replaced when the car was about 2-3 months old (IIRC) as a part of a recall because the brakes would squeak loudly and it was embarrassing to say the least. They were replaced with another model of Bosch pads which got rid of the problem permanently.

It is best to check your warranty booklet to ascertain exactly what is covered under warranty and what is not. BTW, don't fault just Toyota. All car companies and dealerships make the highest profits on consumables.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 11:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Car manufacturers do not offer free replacements for wear and tear parts including brake pads/shoes, clutch plates, tyres, wipers among other parts. Unless of course these parts had manufacturing defects from the factory and any failure or compromised performance can be traced to such defects.

It is best to check your warranty booklet to ascertain exactly what is covered under warranty and what is not. BTW, don't fault just Toyota. All car companies and dealerships make the highest profits on consumables.
Few posts from our forum :

Quote:
I don't know what it is with the Bridgestone B390 tires, we've had two of them burst in the one year of ownership. Maybe we had a bad batch of tires or just sheer bad luck. My father wrote a very concerned complaint to Toyota about the installation of such shoddy tires on a vehicle of this size and credit to TKM, we immediately got a call back from them. They've opened up a case file and are investigating. We're hoping for a positive outcome on Toyota's part although I'm unsure of what they could really do other than compensate us somehow.

Quote:
One reason for thinking about switching to Toyota was the stupendous service support that they used to give and the way they deal with the such issues. But in this particular case, why is Toyota not issuing an official recall to replace the tyres of the affected batch of Crystas. It might not be a manufacturing defect, but Toyota only selected and installed a tyre size that was not suitable for the vehicle right? Many experts including our official review had pointed out potential issues because of these tyres. Why should a customer pay for a mistake that Toyota did (wrong tyre choice).
Quote:
2600 KMS and the first side wall tear happened on new year. Thank you Toyota for not listening to anyone on the forum and arrogantly sticking to 17" low profile tyres. I'm going to use my zero depreciation insurance every single time the tyre breaks to replace these tires which costs around 12k. Hope, better sense prevails to the design team in Toyota. This car needs to be driven on Indian roads and not on international standard express highways.
Quote:
Sitting at my local tyre alignment shop, a pretty experienced guy who trains authorized workshop technicians and is an expert on suspension and tyre problems analysis said that he has seen new Innova Crysta tyres wear out within 30 to 40k kms in stark contrast to the old Innova whose tyres easily did 60k and more. He said most owners were blissfully unaware that there was an alignment problem right from the day the car was delivered.
Quote:
In fact, for the old customers, the issue still seems to persist. I remember seeing bhpian - @samabhi's post recently. I don't exactly remember whether it was the braking issue or the tyre issue which he reported.

For the newer customers, the issue would be non-existent since Toyota changed all the tyre size back to 16" from January 2017 till start of September 2017. They re-introduced 17" in September and now I'm one of those unlucky ones who is stuck with the 17"
I did do my research before making a claim against such a giant know for reliability. I just can't ignore that car makers have started to take Indian customers for granted, other brands too seem have developed issues, previously not associated with them.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Few posts from our forum :

I did do my research before making a claim against such a giant know for reliability. I just can't ignore that car makers have started to take Indian customers for granted, other brands too seem have developed issues, previously not associated with them.
It doesnt happen to every one , It would have been nice if you could quote my posts on the same thread. I have a very different experience of what you are painting with my touring sport 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!-img20180703wa0000.jpg  

Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!-img20180724wa0007.jpg  

Old 13th November 2018, 15:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You may have done your research on the Innova Crysta thread but I am afraid you have reached the incorrect conclusion. The issues faced by Innova Crysta owners don't have anything to do with quality of the components, i.e a manufacturing defect, but is related to the size of wheels and tyres selected by TKM to give their people carrier/van err.."MUV" a better look. I had a 9th gen Corolla and now an decade old Altis without any ownership complaints.

Those damaged tyres and/or wheels are due to the fact that low profile tyres are susceptible to damage when driven over potholes or rough roads that are aplenty in this country. Any wheel size of >/=17" and a profile of </=55 may be asking for trouble unless you are very careful. Ask a luxury Euro sedan owner or those who have upsized tyres and wheels (more for the coolness factor than anything else) how cognizant they are of the risks they entail whilst driving on Indian roads.

Regardless, tyre or rim damage will not be covered by the manufacturer or supplier.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th November 2018 at 15:28. Reason: typos
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 15:25   #11
BHPian

Off topic. I just received an email today where Honda Australia is offering 7 years unlimited KM manufacturing warranty as standard across its portfolio, including the new CRV and HRV. Not just Honda, even Skoda offers something similar to its products.

Why something similar is not being offered in India? Why extended warranty and not a standard warranty?
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Is toyota also giving warranty on those cars which are currently not under warranty. Lets say I have a 2013 fortuner which is not under warranty and I want to get one now? I dont think the extended warranty works that way as there isnt anything to extend, but you never know.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I have had issues with air conditioning on a corolla. Just stopped cooling all of a sudden. The vehicle is regularly serviced and all at the company service center.
This is the second replacement of the evaporator in about 110,000 Km (12 years), first one being around 75000 km (8 years).
I am wondering if the warranties are just on mechanicals or cover these items as well.

subbarp

Last edited by subbarp : 15th November 2018 at 13:37. Reason: Mentioning the car
Old 20th July 2019, 08:59   #14
BHPian

Reviving this thread, Toyota dealer is saying no more than upto 5th year extended warranty I can buy at the time of delivery on innova. Does anyone know if Toyota still offers upto 7th year extended warranty at one go while taking the car delivery?
Old 20th July 2019, 09:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Does anyone know if Toyota still offers upto 7th year extended warranty at one go while taking the car delivery?
Toyota never offered 7 years coverage at one go. Extended warranty is available in 2 plans; True warranty and Timeless warranty.

True warranty can be purchased for either for 4th year or 4th and 5th year anytime "within" the standard 3 year warranty period.

Timeless warranty is an yearly extension package for 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th year which can be purchased every year "after" the standard 3 year warranty is over.

So at the time of purchase, you can go upto 5 years (or 2.2 lakh kms) of coverage through True plan and extend yearly for next 2 years (20k kms per year for upto total of 7 years or 1.4 lakh kms) through Timeless plan.

Attaching a picture from this (Toyota India's Extended Warranty Plans & Pricing - Up to 7 years of coverage) thread;

Toyota now offers extended warranty up to 2.2 lakh km!-toyota-common-flyer-service_june-14page002-1.jpg

You can see the buying period next to the plan name. Hope that helps.

Last edited by self_driven : 20th July 2019 at 09:33.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks