Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 14:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio S9 variant launched at Rs. 13.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
According to him the ride quality and 4wd offroad capabilities with a load of food containers etc in the boot are much better than in a Pajero or a Fortuner.

And that he prefers the S4+ to the S11 4wd because far less electronics means it is much easier and cheaper to recover from the engine getting a bath from fording streams or waterlogged roads.
True, its better than old endeavor as well.

That Tow hook alone makes this more SUV than anything else in the market in my eyes. The ones with less electronics are a better bet, somehow they are prone to occasional niggles. Even their own technicians recommend lower models unless you want 4x4.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
True, its better than old endeavor as well.

That Tow hook alone makes this more SUV than anything else in the market in my eyes. The ones with less electronics are a better bet, somehow they are prone to occasional niggles. Even their own technicians recommend lower models unless you want 4x4.
Yeah, I don't ever offroad and most of my use for this S10 is as a regular highway cruiser with enough space for my wife and kids to comfortably stretch out. At the most ghat roads to a hill station.

They say the rocking motion of the Scorpio helps them sleep too, I suppose there's something to that logic.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
They say the rocking motion of the Scorpio helps them sleep too, I suppose there's something to that logic.
, and I have never been in a Scorpio. But whenever I have travelled in a high GC vehicle that was rocking sideways on curvy roads, I have had motion sickness. Only if I constantly watch out for the upcoming curves and keep myself steady by holding on to the door handles, would I be okay at the end of the trip.

Maybe this is not experienced much in the newer Scorpios, but any car that has this rocking motion tends to lead to motion sickness for the passengers at the back.
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

The roll is quite well damped with anti roll bar installed. Certainly a lot better than older generation Scorpios.

My family had no vomit issues on the way up / down from Valparai some months back (2 km hill with 46 hairpins).
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
, and I have never been in a Scorpio. But whenever I have travelled in a high GC vehicle that was rocking sideways on curvy roads, I have had motion sickness. Only if I constantly watch out for the upcoming curves and keep myself steady by holding on to the door handles, would I be okay at the end of the trip.
For starters - Always look at things as far away as possible , they appear still and do not read anything.

A lot of pitching and rolling is inherent to many of these vehicles due to their higher center of gravity and suspension design. The key is to drive without the vehicle pitching and rolling a lot making the occupants uncomfortable. Driven that way, they are very comfortable with the tall seating and excellent view.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 17:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Outdated in terms of design. The basic body shell is almost 20 years old with rain gutters .
I have seen a lot of folks bringing this (rain gutters) up in Scorpio threads. And I always wondered, are rain gutters THAT big a deal?

Here is a car launched in 2018, supposedly designed from scratch, which is winning design awards worldwide. POST LINK (New Suzuki Jimny in 2018).

Mahindra Scorpio S9 variant launched at Rs. 13.99 lakh-suzuki_jimny_2018_12.jpg
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 19:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have seen a lot of folks bringing this (rain gutters) up in Scorpio threads. And I always wondered, are rain gutters THAT big a deal?

Here is a car launched in 2018, supposedly designed from scratch, which is winning design awards worldwide. POST LINK (New Suzuki Jimny in 2018).

Attachment 1818335
Rain gutters are used for fitting roof carriers, light bars , Antennae and Me for cleaning the roof, i`m not that tall so I need something to grab on while I climb on top of the rear tires. Rain gutters help keep the side windows clear during rain as well but here is the thing about style - Rain gutters are very 19__ , vintage . The door wrapping around over the roof is considered more modern.

I have no problem with the gutters as all our vehicles have them!
Old 21st November 2018, 17:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
According to him the ride quality and 4wd offroad capabilities with a load of food containers etc in the boot are much better than in a Pajero or a Fortuner.
I have heard some 4wd Scorpio owners praise the ride quality of their vehicles. Generally Scorpio is a vehicle not praised for its ride. Does this imply that the 4wd variant has better ride than the 2wd version ? Has anybody tried to compare or has had first hand experience of the same ?
Old 21st November 2018, 17:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have heard some 4wd Scorpio owners praise the ride quality of their vehicles. Generally Scorpio is a vehicle not praised for its ride. Does this imply that the 4wd variant has better ride than the 2wd version ? Has anybody tried to compare or has had first hand experience of the same ?
Offroad or over rough country roads a lighter and more maneuverable vehicle with independent coil springs will certainly beat one of the older model Fortuners / Endys with leaf spring suspensions.

As far as I'm concerned the on road ride quality in the Scorpio is appreciated by my kids at least, they claim it rocks them to sleep.
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

The 4WD iteration of the Scorpio has a better ride compared to its 2WD siblings, no doubt on that. The sway movement is still there, not as extreme as older Scorpio or its 2WD iteration but is there and you can feel it. The bobbing and pitching movement is less, this is noticeable and this is the main differentiation.

Since 4WD's are exported so they might be having better components.

Ride is not as good as either a Duster or the Storme.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd November 2018 at 08:34.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:12   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I owned a 2WD Scorpio between early 2008 and late 2011. Almost 4 years and 50K Kms on the clock, because I used to do frequent, short, leisure trips between Bangalore, Madras, Ooty, Coorg and so on at that time.
I ve driven that thing over all sorts of roads and all sorts of tracks including rough terrain, slush and so on.
It was an excellent vehicle in many ways. Powerful, smooth engine, enjoyable gear shift, extremely spacious and generally tough as nails.
However, as I became more and more conscious and aware and gained greater experience with more and more vehicles, both in India and abroad, I found, over time, that the Scorpio ride was manageable only in the front driver seat.
The front passenger (mostly my wife) used to complain about the swaying motion and discomfort.
On the very rare occasions that we were more than 2 people in the vehicle, the people in the back (even though strapped in with their seat belts) used to also grumble about the swaying motion.
Basically the Scorpio is a bit of a top heavy beast. And nowadays, with increasing standards and consumer comfort preferences, there are far better options available in the market than the Scorpio, from a “ride comfort” perspective.
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

My serious question regarding Scorpio (never having driven one) is has the ride really improved with time and successive iterations or it has really remained same throughout. I ask this because I believe Mahindra engineers must have affected small changes over time, if someone could detail it over the years that would be great.

For example shankar.balan mentions swaying, rocking motion for passengers during his ownership of past varient, is it still there in S9, S11 latest varients or is it somehow muted. If 'yes' by how much ?

Last edited by lurker : 22nd November 2018 at 09:47.
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

The body roll is there - its a high ground clearance vehicle. But it is damped by an anti roll bar. The suspension is coil spring now so much better than earlier leaf spring Scorpios.

NVH damping has also improved to a good extent compared to previous models though there's plenty of scope for improvement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks