Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 19:18   #16
BHPian

Re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

Okay, its official now. The webpage featuring Gypsy has been taken down from the Maruti Suzuki Arena website though the pricing link is still active.

The King is dead. Long live the KING!
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 05:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Okay, its official now. The webpage featuring Gypsy has been taken down from the Maruti Suzuki Arena website though the pricing link is still active.

The King is dead. Long live the KING!
Weirdly, its opening on my laptop just fine. Even tried clearing the cache.

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-gypsy.jpg

Regarding the formal announcement, even the dealers are clueless. Atleast Maruti is the first to inform the dealers about any such decision, so that they don't end up with dead inventories. Regarding Current Ertiga being discontinued,the sales managers knew about it atleast 2 months in advance. I checked with few of my sources in a nearby showroom. They have no official confirmation as of now. Even the regional sales manager denied any such news.

I also tried to contact a couple of friends in MSIL, one of them said while the Gypsy is earmarked not to get any updates(like Omni), they still don't know about any such news. Inevitably, it will happen, but I guess, this December news is false. Not sure where the NDTV guys got their information from, and every media house is happily circulating the same without confirming the news.

I'm glad, TeamBHP hasn't added any fuel to this fire, and has rightly mentioned the news as Rumour.

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-1.jpg

Need I remind the so called Media houses, how many times in the past they have been proven wrong with such exclusive news??

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st November 2018 at 05:59.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 06:36   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

[?
I just checked on the off chance. And here is the screen shot taken just now from the Maruti Suzuki Arena India Website. On clicking through on the Gypsy icon it goes straight through to the picture that LeoShashi posted. Yes it is inevitable that the Gypsy will go. But for many of us it will be the passing of an icon.
Attached Thumbnails
End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-515ecf291254424d9ff2a327f29110c1.png  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st November 2018 at 06:38.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 07:42   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Had a chat with the Regional Sales Manager of Maruti and General Manager of a reputed dealership. As per them, they haven't received any official word from Maruti regarding bookings being closed and whatever is being spread in the Media.

Also talked to someone senior in the Maruti-Suzuki management, and his exact words were "Since when did Maruti start giving deadlines about production?"

Gypsy will be discontinued eventually, its inevitable, but as of now, there is no official confirmation by Maruti even to its dealers. Definitely sounds like a desperate attempt by the Media houses to get some spice.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 08:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1820620

Regarding the formal announcement, even the dealers are clueless. Atleast Maruti is the first to inform the dealers about any such decision, so that they don't end up with dead inventories. Regarding Current Ertiga being discontinued,the sales managers knew about it atleast 2 months in advance. I checked with few of my sources in a nearby showroom. They have no official confirmation as of now. Even the regional sales manager denied any such news.

I also tried to contact a couple of friends in MSIL, one of them said while the Gypsy is earmarked not to get any updates(like Omni), they still don't know about any such news. Inevitably, it will happen, but I guess, this December news is false. Not sure where the NDTV guys got their information from, and every media house is happily circulating the same without confirming the news.

I'm glad, TeamBHP hasn't added any fuel to this fire, and has rightly mentioned the news as Rumour.

Attachment 1820621

Need I remind the so called Media houses, how many times in the past they have been proven wrong with such exclusive news??
My bad Shashi; I was unable to load the page featuring the Gypsy after trying multiple times and I assumed the worst. Quite possibly it might have been a system glitch.

Well, it gives the potential Gypsy buyers a few more weeks/months to get what is soon to be a classic...
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 15:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
My bad Shashi; I was unable to load the page featuring the Gypsy after trying multiple times and I assumed the worst. Quite possibly it might have been a system glitch.

Well, it gives the potential Gypsy buyers a few more weeks/months to get what is soon to be a classic...
Even I tried a few times for the last two days. Even today the site says that the page "may have been removed".
The webpage at https://apps.marutisuzuki.com/gypsy1.aspx might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
So either MUL has decided to stop Gypsy or there may be a new version on the horizon. Jimny?

Last edited by Aroy : 21st November 2018 at 15:19.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest notice to dealers says:

Please note that there will be no further production/dispatches of GYPSY(All variants). You are thereby requested not to accept any further bookings for the model.

Its now confirmed: The King is dead. RIP.
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest notice to dealers says:

Please note that there will be no further production/dispatches of GYPSY(All variants). You are thereby requested not to accept any further bookings for the model.

Its now confirmed: The King is dead. RIP.
What is the source, Shashi?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Local dealership Manager showed me a notice.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

In a weird sense, I'm happy that the Gypsy has been finally laid to rest. I have had my share of fun with it for 9 years and 1.1L kms with it, with it breaking down only thrice (two damaged hoses and one broken rear leaf spring in the middle of the jungle). In all these years from the 90s, I had been waiting for the Jimny and it never materialized.

I do hope Maruti will consider it now at least.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
In a weird sense, I'm happy that the Gypsy has been finally laid to rest. I have had my share of fun with it for 9 years and 1.1L kms with it, with it breaking down only thrice (two damaged hoses and one broken rear leaf spring in the middle of the jungle). In all these years from the 90s, I had been waiting for the Jimny and it never materialized.

I do hope Maruti will consider it now at least.
All said and done, nothing parallels the thrill of driving a Gypsy. The Jimny might be a sophisticated and cute purpose-built off-road machine but does not come even close to the "character" of a Gypsy My personal opinion and no offense to Jimny fans here!!
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please find the screenshot:

End of an era: Maruti Gypsy bookings to be officially closed from December 2018-10.jpg

A sad day indeed.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th March 2019 at 16:12. Reason: Adding watermark
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All said and done, nothing parallels the thrill of driving a Gypsy. The Jimny might be a sophisticated and cute purpose-built off-road machine but does not come even close to the "character" of a Gypsy My personal opinion and no offense to Jimny fans here!!
That's why I mentioned I have enjoyed the Gypsy for 9 years. I have never tried the Jimmy, but in my mid 40s now, there are some creature comforts that I look forward to. Specifically, a larger seat and air-conditioning.

And I have also had the Sierra side-by-side, for the same amount of time. Trust me, it's a very underrated car for what it is. Comfort levels were on a whole different level. I have done stuff with it that I wouldn't do on the Gypsy, for the simple reason that the vehicle would do it, but I doubt if I would have survived.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's why I mentioned I have enjoyed the Gypsy for 9 years. I have never tried the Jimmy, but in my mid 40s now, there are some creature comforts that I look forward to. Specifically, a larger seat and air-conditioning.
Of course yes - the Gypsy leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to even basic creature comforts like power steering, A/C, power windows, etc. but therein lies its beauty and charm, in my humble opinion. Of course, as one ages [I am in the 5th decade of my life as well ] and the body struggles to keep up with the spirit, we have no option but to move on. From that perspective, Jimny is definitely a good option.

Quote:
And I have also had the Sierra side-by-side, for the same amount of time. Trust me, it's a very underrated car for what it is. Comfort levels were on a whole different level. I have done stuff with it that I wouldn't do on the Gypsy, for the simple reason that the vehicle would do it, but I doubt if I would have survived.
I know exactly what you are talking about as Sierra was my first car I had it for close to 3 years and believe me, I have not experienced that level of ride comfort till date - and I say this having owned a Safari and now owining a Pajero!! Not sure if it was a massive opportunity lost for Tata or the car was way ahead of its times. I still miss her....
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 13:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

A sad day indeed! What a run she's had.
What an apt tagline as well - "There is a Gypsy in everyone"
You shall be missed champ!
starter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks