Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

For Prospective Dicor owners

In case anyone is planning a purchase of the Dicor in the next couple of weeks, please wait till the end of Jan.

I just got off the phone with a friend who works for Tata Motors ERC. He has informed me that the Dicors rolling off the assembly lines post Jan 18 will have ALL recurring defects rectified!

Apparently there was some issue with the Fuel Injection Pump and the ECU. The new Dicors will be fitted with a new design Mico FIP and the ECU is also being revamped.

There is a 'barrel no' allocated to each batch which he will inform me tomorrow- this will help identify whehter the Dicor is post 18th Jan or not.

when I get the barrel no., I will update this post and anyone interested in the no. can PM me.

Also he informed that the 2.2 will be priced 44000 above the existing variants (ex factory)- so OTR it wuld translate to about 65-70K hike- pretty good deal if you ask me!

I have deferred my Dicor purchase to after 25th Jan.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:44   #2

Thanks for sharing this information. Is 2.2 also being released at the end of Jan'07?

Cheers
Old 10th January 2007, 13:18   #3

Plz let me know that number wen u get it n does he have any information about the new Indica or any other upgrades.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Dicor

Thanks for the Info. I am planning to buy Safari Dicor in the month of April. Will the 2.2 released by then?

regards
Deepak
Old 10th January 2007, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Advertisements in TOI for the past couple of days are showing FREE accessories worth Rs. 55000/- for the DICOR version... Is this the sign of things to come ?
Old 10th January 2007, 19:55   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the info.....I did read somewhere that the new 2.2L engine would be available for export in Jan 2007 and in the India market only by mid 2007. Is that right?

Cheers
Jacob
Old 10th January 2007, 20:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Apparently there was some issue with the Fuel Injection Pump and the ECU. The new Dicors will be fitted with a new design Mico FIP and the ECU is also being revamped.
1. How many people have had Fuel Injection issues - I know I havent, and none of those that I know have either.

2. Delphi have a long-term contract with Tata with a lock-in period so I really doubt if they can go the Bosch way, at least on existing models.

3. Redesigning the FI pump and fitting an altogether new pump is not a minor rectification - its a major job which I doubt they will undertake, especially when they have another engine available.

Therefore I seriously doubt this Mico FI Pump thing. However, only time will tell.
Old 10th January 2007, 20:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1. How many people have had Fuel Injection issues - I know I havent, and none of those that I know have either.

2. Delphi have a long-term contract with Tata with a lock-in period so I really doubt if they can go the Bosch way, at least on existing models.

3. Redesigning the FI pump and fitting an altogether new pump is not a minor rectification - its a major job which I doubt they will undertake, especially when they have another engine available.

Therefore I seriously doubt this Mico FI Pump thing. However, only time will tell.

Well, my friend is a reasonably senior guy at the ERC- and he specifically mentioned to me to wait for Post 18/1 manufactured vehicles for these changes.

so I guess the best way is to check out a post 18/1 vehicle.

So far, his info has always been accurate given his role in ERC...(Any more info from me, and his identity will be easy for any tata motors employee to guess so I will leave it at that)
Old 11th January 2007, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that all the older dicors will qualify for the retrofits ? I ask so coz in the past we have seen many of the dicors being retrofitted..
Not too sure about the whether whole FIP will be replaced or the ECM changed..
Old 11th January 2007, 14:48   #10
BHPian

Himanshu,

I assume your friend only asked you to wait till Jan-18th and didn't ask you to wait a "little more" for the new engine. If so, I would infer that it will be a while before we see the 2.2L safari on Indian roads.

Anyway, we have been hearing (since mid-06) that it will be available in the next 6 months...

Thanks,
Su-47
Old 11th January 2007, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

well. u wanna hear something very interesting?

My friend himself is buying the current Dicor in Feb. Of course, being a senior ERC guy, he is getting a fab deal, but what he told me is (I am reproducing verbatim our conversation- or whatever is left in my memory considering I had a long night last night with a friend and a bottle of single malt for company )
(of course this conversation was in Punjabi with a fair share of colour thrown in for good measure, but I am translating it into English)
"its true that hte 2.2 is a more advanced engine but I prefer the 3.0. we have put the 3.0 engine thru so much sh*t while doing endurance testing that you wouldnt believe it. and nothing ever goes wrong with this engine. in fact, the internal rating for this engine is upto 500000 kms. the 2.2 is a frail engine in comparison (relatively speaking ofcourse!). beyond a 100000 kms, that engine displayed some "interesting" characteristics. apparently the issue is with the engine block which is the same as that of the 2.0 L safari.

since I want to keep the car for at least 7-8 years and my car is driven for over 25000 kms every year, I will stick to the 3.0"

I grilled him on the "interesting" bit, but he wouldnt divulge any furhter and simply said "my lips are sealed"

Before any fellow BHPians start pounding me for this post, let me raise my hands in surrender and say"I am only a messenger here"!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 11th January 2007 at 15:08.
Old 11th January 2007, 15:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(of course this conversation was in Punjabi with a fair share of colour thrown in for good measure,
Actually, this is getting intresting. Now we have two more clues about the identity of this person in ERC ... Any Sherlock Holmes amongst us ?
Old 11th January 2007, 15:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Actually, this is getting intresting. Now we have two more clues about the identity of this person in ERC ... Any Sherlock Holmes amongst us ?

O.T. Maybe not.... Punjabi is not his native tongue, it is mine. plus the Dicor purchase will not be in his name but that of a relative (who has a different surname ) So the Sherlocks will have to rest for a while!
Old 11th January 2007, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
apparently the issue is with the engine block which is the same as that of the 2.0 L safari.
Base engine, not the block. Its a TCIC base with new block and new head + new injection.

3.0 is 407 engine yaar - it'll run on and on and on, even after you stop ticking.

PS: the feedback on the lock-in contract that Delphi has is from a source in Delphi. So its going to be an interesting battle of two sources.

My friend who currently drives a 2.2 says longevity or otherwise, the 2.2 is a hoot to drive and he doesnt care about anything else. In his words - Verna Torque at Fiesta Refinement.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th January 2007 at 18:37.
Old 11th January 2007, 18:51   #15
BHPian

So..... there is a good hype for the 2.2

But when can we expect this..... i am really in a hurry to know about the launch dates. However i will be buying this in Apr / May only.....

I just want to test drive at the earliest.

Most Viewed