Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2007, 10:17   #16
BHPian

Thanks Himanshu for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My friend who currently drives a 2.2 says longevity or otherwise, the 2.2 is a hoot to drive and he doesnt care about anything else. In his words - Verna Torque at Fiesta Refinement.
Your friend already drives a 2.2 ! Where? And, how? Has there been some sort of a pre-release for a chosen few already?
Old 12th January 2007, 10:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Your friend already drives a 2.2 ! Where? And, how? Has there been some sort of a pre-release for a chosen few already?
Testing...by some users.
Old 12th January 2007, 11:56   #18
BHPian

"DICOR" are ya really happy?

Hey Guys, well all this about the DICOR sounds good cause the SUV looks good. However hows the Handling? the acceleration and then with a much powerful 2.2 heavier engine how do you think this would affect the ride quality. All these questions - cause I have personally talked to people who jumped and bought he DICOR when launched in '06 and they cant stop talking of the number of visits to the Dealer for issues like NOISE, VIBRATION, door alignment, gear ranges, gear box issues and many many more. So considering you guys are fans of the DICOR and considering you'll do have the insight on this vehicle could anybody make a buyer out of me for this SUV?

Also, this SUV is very sluggish when I last drove one its like punching the accelerator and going for a quick nap until it reponds.

I am interested to the point that I would like it sitting in my garage however from the stories I have heard of people who have bought one I am petrified to step into it and drive it around .......so any sellers?
Old 12th January 2007, 12:03   #19
BHPian

some guys surely get lucky.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Hey Guys, well all this about the DICOR sounds good cause the SUV looks good. However hows the Handling? the acceleration and then with a much powerful 2.2 heavier engine how do you think this would affect the ride quality. All these questions - cause I have personally talked to people who jumped and bought he DICOR when launched in '06 and they cant stop talking of the number of visits to the Dealer for issues like NOISE, VIBRATION, door alignment, gear ranges, gear box issues and many many more. So considering you guys are fans of the DICOR and considering you'll do have the insight on this vehicle could anybody make a buyer out of me for this SUV?

Also, this SUV is very sluggish when I last drove one its like punching the accelerator and going for a quick nap until it reponds.

I am interested to the point that I would like it sitting in my garage however from the stories I have heard of people who have bought one I am petrified to step into it and drive it around .......so any sellers?
your friends said about the noise when they had teh bonnet open and the engine running?

you punched a Dicor's or the old TCIC's acclerator? or the petrol ones? Seems for your driving style, you should stick with petrols.

For more info about TBHPians Dicor do a "search".

For seller try a nearby Fiat/Tata dealer.

Welcome to TBHP
Old 12th January 2007, 12:27   #21
BHPian

HI Juda

I still dont understand how people can drive this car or so called SUV, I am talking about SAFARI DICOR. I tried driving a brand new one which my friend had bought 15-20 days back, the thing just doesnt take off its only when you have gove 200-300 mts it starts picking up, its like the initially you need a lot of power so that the sleeping giant can get up and go, on highways it is a bit ok I guess because once it is on a roll it doesnt mind bieng pushed but beyong 140 and you can stand on the accelerator but will not go any faster. Also the breaking is a bit wierd, there are times when you wonder if the thing is going to stop or not. Also various niggles that my friend has faced since he bought it actually makes you feel if you are buying a 407 or a SUV.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:33   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In his words - Verna Torque at Fiesta Refinement.

WOW!!! Thats an excellent combination...
Old 12th January 2007, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
your friends said about the noise when they had teh bonnet open and the engine running?

you punched a Dicor's or the old TCIC's acclerator? or the petrol ones? Seems for your driving style, you should stick with petrols.

For more info about TBHPians Dicor do a "search".

For seller try a nearby Fiat/Tata dealer.

Welcome to TBHP
Nope they were talking about the "in cabin" noise...who cares of the noise that comes after the bonnet is opened.

Also, the punching of the accelerator of the scorpio gives you a quicker response that is if you are considering that I am looking at the petrol reponse from a diesel engine which is not the case.

By "any sellers" I meant can anyone convince me of buying this SUV with a better argument?
Old 12th January 2007, 12:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Testing...by some users.
If iam not getting to curious which state is this car(2.2)running?
Old 12th January 2007, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
but beyong 140 and you can stand on the accelerator but will not go any faster.
Limited electronically by the ECU and mechanically by a governor, according to dr fate - engine refuses to go beyond 2,500 rpm on 5th gear.

Quote:
Also the breaking is a bit wierd, there are times when you wonder if the thing is going to stop or not. Also various niggles that my friend has faced since he bought it actually makes you feel if you are buying a 407 or a SUV.
My sympathies, though I've had no issues with braking. Ask your friend to speak to his dealer - they've retrofitted a revised rear brake booster and some other stuff recently (3 months back).

As for acceleration, this thing can move pretty well once you know how to drive it around - ask Sriram (Quicksilver) who seemed to be impressed during the recent Rumble-In-The-Jungle Kerala Meet.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th January 2007 at 14:21.
Old 12th January 2007, 14:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info man. spoke to dealers in kerala. they have no idea that a 2.2L engine is ever being thought of by tata. What people....!!!!.
Old 12th January 2007, 16:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI Juda

I still dont understand how people can drive this car or so called SUV, I am talking about SAFARI DICOR. on highways it is a bit ok I guess because once it is on a roll it doesnt mind bieng pushed but beyong 140 and you can stand on the accelerator but will not go any faster.
As Steeroid says, its limited to 150 kmph on the speedo (actual 140 I guess).....I do about 110 kms a day, most of it is in lousy NCR traffic and I find it a hoot to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Also, the punching of the accelerator of the scorpio gives you a quicker response
Heh-heh, I had a ball yesterday around 8 in the morning on the stretch leading upto the Rajokri flyover on NH8, systematically r*ping a smart alec in a Scorpio who had cut in front of me just before that - he couldn't keep level either in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Finally, I reached the magically restricted 150 kmph before he drew level but we then ran out of road and he stayed tamely behind

Last edited by suman : 12th January 2007 at 16:07.
Old 12th January 2007, 16:12   #28
BHPian

Suman, I think I'd agree with you on the Top speed comparison of Scorpio as that thing gets bad after 100km/hr I drove it from Pune to GOA and at times I felt I was all over the road with it and also a twitch of the steering could get the Scorpio rolling like a baby. Anyways, is hitting the high note with the DOCIR a good experience especially when you consider its mass? Doesnt it feel a little unreliable at speeds exceeding 100km/hr?

However, Scorpio can any day whip a DICOR in the start-up or a Quarter mile drag I am sure abt that one.
Old 12th January 2007, 16:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I reached the magically restricted 150 kmph before he drew level but we then ran out of road and he stayed tamely behind
Dont think am being a spoilsport...

Dont you feel doing 150 on a Safari (scorpio even worse) is rather dangerous??? Asking this cause, i have felt the body roll in the scorpio to be a bit scary...
Old 12th January 2007, 18:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
well. u wanna hear something very interesting?

My friend himself is buying the current Dicor in Feb. Of course, being a senior ERC guy, he is getting a fab deal, but what he told me is (I am reproducing verbatim our conversation- or whatever is left in my memory considering I had a long night last night with a friend and a bottle of single malt for company )
(of course this conversation was in Punjabi with a fair share of colour thrown in for good measure, but I am translating it into English)
"its true that hte 2.2 is a more advanced engine but I prefer the 3.0. we have put the 3.0 engine thru so much sh*t while doing endurance testing that you wouldnt believe it. and nothing ever goes wrong with this engine. in fact, the internal rating for this engine is upto 500000 kms. the 2.2 is a frail engine in comparison (relatively speaking ofcourse!). beyond a 100000 kms, that engine displayed some "interesting" characteristics. apparently the issue is with the engine block which is the same as that of the 2.0 L safari.

since I want to keep the car for at least 7-8 years and my car is driven for over 25000 kms every year, I will stick to the 3.0"

I grilled him on the "interesting" bit, but he wouldnt divulge any furhter and simply said "my lips are sealed"

Before any fellow BHPians start pounding me for this post, let me raise my hands in surrender and say"I am only a messenger here"!
As the Engine block is from 407 and thoroughly tested (as our friend says) I would like to buy 3.0L safari only.

Will the 3.0L Safari be available later in Euro4 versions? Once I heard from dealer rep that 3.0L cant be made euro4 compliant and only 2.2L will be in Euro compliant.

Does anyone has idea about this?

Most Viewed