Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2007, 20:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDA View Post
Anyways, is hitting the high note with the DOCIR a good experience especially when you consider its mass? Doesnt it feel a little unreliable at speeds exceeding 100km/hr?
On the contrary its BEST at speeds over 100 kmph - the engine settles into an almost inaudible hum (wind noise is higher than engine noise at those speeds) and the vehicle is stable as a rock.

Quote:
However, Scorpio can any day whip a DICOR in the start-up or a Quarter mile drag I am sure abt that one.
Dont bet on it!
Old 13th January 2007, 01:25   #32
BHPian

I agree on the stability front of the Safari's and would like to add that replacement of stock tyres to upgraded rubber make a HUGE amount of difference in a safari,irrespective of Dicor or Tcic.

And in my most humble opinion derived from my experience i feel Suv's and Muv's are more about stamina,comfort and competence on broken roads,

Lets say with 5 people on board both in Scorpio and Safari from point A to point B in a typical indian roads going at 100+....please try this for yourself and analyse the final result for yourself.
Old 13th January 2007, 09:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, is hitting the high note with the DOCIR a good experience especially when you consider its mass? Doesnt it feel a little unreliable at speeds exceeding 100km/hr?
Well, it may sound funny but as I've said earlier in my ownership report (and as pointed out by Steeroid), it feels ROCK SOLID at high speeds, no roll, nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Dont bet on it!
Yes, that's what I'd say as well. It depends on the individuals driving as well as the vehicle itself......I did whip this guy & it was a start up situation as well; there was a dip in the road just before the wide four lane started, so we'd all changed down to 2nd & then I comprehensively whipped him

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Dont you feel doing 150 on a Safari (scorpio even worse) is rather dangerous???
Well, depends on road & traffic conditions. This was at 8 in the morning on a 4 lane highway with very little traffic - I wouldn't do this in heavy traffic conditions because sudden stoppages if required would take some space.....but stability wise as Steeroid has also mentioned, no issues
Old 18th January 2007, 12:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Base engine, not the block. Its a TCIC base with new block and new head + new injection.
Steeroid, Just to get my history right: What was the problem with the TCIC 2.0 Engine?
Old 18th January 2007, 12:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Steeroid, Just to get my history right: What was the problem with the TCIC 2.0 Engine?
90 bhp on 2 tonnes is what was wrong.

OT - I hear talk about the 3.0 being upgraded to about 160 bhp with a VGT and new Fuel Injection. Someone says dont do engine swap, just upgrade your 3.0 to VGT, new FI and ECU when it comes out.

The new Tata TL Sprint is an all-round improvement in the TL 4x4 and will start production by Tata Motors at their Pune facility in the Spring of 2007, powered by a 140 bhp 2.2-litre diesel engine. Tata's 2.2-litre unit which will power the TL Sprint, also powers their Safari SUV, and with very similar vehicle characteristics it achieves a maximum speed of 160 km/h, from 0 to 100 km/h in 14.9 seconds, and uses 7.9 litres of fuel per 100 km. Later next year Fiat will begin production of the TL Sprint at their Cordoba plant in Argentina, with the body-on-frame pick-up badged as both a Fiat and Tata for the South American markets. Fiat will use Cordoba as a springboard to bring the TL Sprint to Europe, with exports and its market arrival scheduled for mid 2008.

The South American-built version will though feature an upgraded version Tata's new 3.0-litre DICOR (Direct Injection Common Rail) diesel engine. Currently the DICOR engine turns out 115 bhp at 3,000 rpm and 290 Nm torque between 1,600 and 2,000 rpm; however this unit will be uprated to 157 bhp in the new application.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th January 2007 at 12:50.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT - I hear talk about the 3.0 being upgraded to about 160 bhp with a VGT and new Fuel Injection. Someone says dont do engine swap, just upgrade your 3.0 to VGT, new FI and ECU when it comes out.
The news was on edmunds.com . The TL Sprint is going to get that engine along with the 2.2.
Old 18th January 2007, 13:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
90 bhp on 2 tonnes is what was wrong.
Yeah I understand that What I want to know is: Did 2.0 TCIC have some longevity issues or bad ownership experience (from maintenance point of view) ?
Old 18th January 2007, 13:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The news was on edmunds.com . The TL Sprint is going to get that engine along with the 2.2.
Sajo, Can you provide the link to the news article. Any prospective dates for the launch..

Edit: Oops, never mind i got the link here it is.. Inside Line: Love Child: Compact Pickup Borne of Fiat-Tata Marriage -

Thanks to Google !!

Last edited by man23ish : 18th January 2007 at 13:39.
Old 18th January 2007, 16:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Steeroid]
quote]

Yummy... I hope tata's offer this kind of upgrade to 3.0 dicor owners at a reasonable price .
Old 18th January 2007, 20:11   #40
BHPian

Weight was the major issue with a engine(2.0) though under-powered could with some right tweaks can be coined as 'adequate',

Unfortunatley it was never done.anyway the present engine is a class act and should solve all greviences of power-seekers.

VGT powered engine is good,but honestly steeroid if we are to retro-fit that package we seriously must think of up-grading the suspension and every thing related to brakes.

And on question of Tata taking hints of practicality and quality from other's.............ahahahahaha....
Old 19th January 2007, 23:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

so himanshu you never came up with the "barrel nos." for the safaris being produced after 18th jan....

i'm currently looking forward to buying a safari for my father for his construction project in the hills.....i've been asking him to wait for the 2.2....but it seems that its gonna be too delayed....

so now we're back to the 3.0L....

its a reliable engine no doubt....but the rest of the car?.....we already have a couple of safaris....both 2.0L TCIC's.....they have so many problems i've lost count....but one thing is there....the kind of punishment that is meted out to the cars in the hills of uttarkashi and himachal pradesh ,the cars have shown pretty good reliability....never have they broken down....never....the turbo's been changed once,suspension overhauled about 3 times.....brakes discs changed....but never let down....

so i really want to know the 18th jan thing.....

upgrading to the VGT....mmmmmm...that'll be a good choice....but seeing the drivers i doubt i'll suggest it to the drivers....the brakes and suspension is already quite a dicy matter in case of the safari.....i don't want and additional power or speed in the car.....

the weight distribution and momentum of this super heavy vehicle is such that it just cannot handle any more speed....

hell the 2.0L is enough.....most of you drive the safari in planes with straight roads....but in the hills the body roll of the safari is so much that any more speed and there will be no traction....the car will understeer and have hugh body roll.....

i seriously think that until the weight distribution and suspension is sorted out the power should not be increased....it'll become a killer....
Old 20th January 2007, 15:52   #42
BHPian

does anyone know what is the expected price of the new safari 2.2 dicor....
also where are the barrel no. himanshu
Old 20th January 2007, 21:07   #43
BHPian

here is a dumb question. pls dont mind guys. what is VGT?
Old 20th January 2007, 22:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

VGT = Variable Geometry Turbochargeer.
Old 21st January 2007, 14:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Another stupid question - What has geometry got to do with a turbocharger..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
VGT = Variable Geometry Turbochargeer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks