Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:42   #31
BHPian

Re: 2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted in India, now launched @ 15.89 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyunda iIndia has introduced the Elantra facelift at a starting price of ₹ 15.89 lakh.

Attachment 1919937

Link
So the top end SX(O) AT is now around 1.5 Lakhs more with the addition of:
- LED Headlights
- TPMS
- ISOFix mounts
- Hyundai Blue Link
anything else?
The pre-facelift model for Petrol SX(O) AT was around 19L ex-showroom.

I think the other features like wireless charging, front sensors etc. were already part of SX(O) for the 2018/ 19 manufactured cars.
With the price increase, I fail to understand if Hyundai really wants this one to succeed as it drastically reduces its VFM factor against Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia!

Is this dead on arrival or in the grave on arrival!
vickyP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
So the top end SX(O) AT is now around 1.5 Lakhs more with the addition of:
- LED Headlights
- TPMS
- ISOFix mounts
- Hyundai Blue Link
anything else?
The updated website content has mentioned "Automatic Cruise Control" for the higher trims. If this is the radar assisted cruise control which automatically brakes and accelarates the car by detecting obstacles ahead, I think the price increase is worth it.

Auto cruise would truly make it a comfortable car to drive.
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
The updated website content has mentioned "Automatic Cruise Control" for the higher trims. If this is the radar assisted cruise control which automatically brakes and accelarates the car by detecting obstacles ahead, I think the price increase is worth it.

Check out our fellow TBHP member's Volvo S80 ownership thread. I don't have the link though. Automatic cruise control isn't a very viable feature in India, given the condition of our roads. Besides, I highly think that demanding a premium of 2.5L over the base S is not a smart move by Hyundai. Pair that with the awkward looks (subjective) and the fact that one can get an Octavia at around the same price, Hyundai's got it wrong.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Disagree, Auto cruise in India as of now will be a headache. Look at the number of bikes zig - zagging, Cows,dogs and pedestrian running on streets. This might be good on a highway. I would like to have this on my car but there should be a switch to manually turn off when i don't need it ( read - within city ).

Well, overall the car does not looks a serious attempt in giving it a makeover. Looks very similar to its predecessor. It also goes in Octavia 1.8 territory which any day is a better car than Elantra. Sorry Hyundai, even this version will not do anything for you in D segment. It will settle down to 100 per month figure very soon !

D Segment Petrol sedan - Octavia 1.8 > Octavia 1.4 > Civic CVT > Elantra / Corolla ( if you can get it)
Roadster17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Disagree, Auto cruise in India as of now will be a headache. Look at the number of bikes zig - zagging, Cows,dogs and pedestrian running on streets. This might be good on a highway. I would like to have this on my car but there should be a switch to manually turn off when i don't need it ( read - within city ).)
By auto-cruise, the original poster was referring to Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). ACC will be engaged manually by the driver, generally at cruising speeds.
Even in international markets Elantra does not have Stop-Go Cruise Control.
Once the speed drops below 10 kmph or near zero, ACC disengages. ACC is a boon on highways for long distance trips.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 3rd October 2019 at 19:36.
dheepak10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 19:56   #36
BHPian

I think people are over-reacting over the looks. I've seen a few of the new Elantras in the USA and they're pretty striking in person (although the one's I see have larger, better designed wheels). Cars of this segment are budget cars and are usually very bland in design which is why Hyundai has gone the polarizing route. Go see the car in person, you might just change your mind.
raystriker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 03:49   #37
BHPian

Could anyone please let me know if Hyundai has gotten rid of the lap belt for the rear centre passenger and given the elantra a proper 3 point seat belt for all occupants? I am very allergic to lapbelts especially at that price point and almost closing in on year 2020. Thank you
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 08:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
I think people are over-reacting over the looks. I've seen a few of the new Elantras in the USA and they're pretty striking in person (although the one's I see have larger, better designed wheels). Cars of this segment are budget cars and are usually very bland in design which is why Hyundai has gone the polarizing route. Go see the car in person, you might just change your mind.
Though looks are very subjective but generally with each new car launch, we all do tend to grow along with the design elements - no matter how weird they may seem in the beginning. Remember Octavia face-lift? I for one still believes that it looks quite good and has a certain character as compared to anything else on our roads with those quad headlight setup!
With regards to the Elantra face-lift, I assume that you may be referring to the sports or limited version as being sold in US. Both those definitely have a much better alloy wheel design (personal opinion) and the sport version definitely is a 17 inch alloys. We should have got these as an option

Certain cars do look much better in person than in pictures and hoping Elantra is one of them as well. I just simply loved the pre-facelift version and it was always there on the shortlist of my next car to buy!
Hyundai Elantra Sport with 17 inch alloys:
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted in India, now launched @ 15.89 lakh-2019hyundaielantrasportreview.jpg  

vickyP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 08:36   #39
BHPian

I think it's important to remember that the American market is where the profit's at, for almost all car makers. The are so many competitors in the American market in this segment which is why they did what they needed to do and make a striking new design. The pre-facelift design was just too boring and mundane compared to the Civic and Mazda 3.

Maybe because I've seen this design around for a long enough period, it has grown on me. I think it really suits this car. To make it too handsome would lead to the overall experience with this car, a disappointment, since it's kind of a budget car and sits on the second lowest echelon in the (American) car world. This car doesn't need to be particularly good looking. It's a daily driver for college kids (who are millennials and more progressive and open to eccentric designs). Their parent's usually finance it for them and it's the only car they're willing to do so for as it's a safe, reliable and relatively frugal. The kids don't care as long as it can carry their friends and some junk.

Last edited by raystriker : 4th October 2019 at 08:59.
raystriker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 13:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Some new features of the Elantra facelift -
The new features are a welcome addition, but in typical Hyundai fashion, there is some equipment deleting: The facelift loses the auto-dimming function for the mirror! . What’s more, it’s youger sibling, the Verna gets it! Way to go Hyundai!
This is because they have shared the IRVM (with the Blue Link and call function) with the Venue.

Quote:

It would be too expensive for India. I don’t think even the international model gets it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Well, overall the car does not looks a serious attempt in giving it a makeover. Looks very similar to its predecessor. It also goes in Octavia 1.8 territory which any day is a better car than Elantra. Sorry Hyundai, even this version will not do anything for you in D segment. It will settle down to 100 per month figure very soon !
D Segment Petrol sedan - Octavia 1.8 > Octavia 1.4 > Civic CVT > Elantra / Corolla (if you can get it)
+1 to that. Hyundai had a real chance here. But there’s no diesel That’s a bad move as there is no well-priced diesel in this segment. Also, there would have been a true competitor to the Octavia TDi DSG and cheaper too. I predict this car will settle at the third spot, behind the Octavia and Corolla, in sales. Should do about ~80 units per month IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Both those definitely have a much better alloy wheel design (personal opinion) and the sport version definitely is a 17 inch alloys. We should have got these as an option.
Well, 17-inchers on a sedan are simply not practical in India. It affects ride quality also.
Look at the Innova’s tyre burst thread and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

OT: Is the 2019 Elantra a better buy than its sibling, the Tucson? The Elantra gets:
  • Fresher styling (the Tucson remains unchanged since 2016) which may appeal to buyers.
  • More features like: 8-speaker Infinity system, ventilated seats (an absolute favourite!), touchscreen with Blue Link and connectivity options, TPMS, LED quad projector headlamps, standard safety features on all variants
  • A BS6 engine (the Tucson has the same engine, in non-BS6 guise)
The top end petrols are a full 4 lakhs apart! That’s a big premium for increased ground clearance and a panoramic sunroof, right? So, is the big Hyundai worth it, with its younger sibling in the picture? Do share your thoughts.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 4th October 2019 at 14:01.
artemis_fowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 14:03   #41
BHPian

The Elantra facelift still retains it's value for money factor. You get a lot of car for what you pay. Yes! They missed out the Diesel but then Hyundai isn't continuing 1.6 CRDi and the 1.5 would have been underpowered. Moreover the 2.0 was the only option they had which would have hiked its price considerably killing the Value for Money aspect. Also, as per a friend recently who bought the prefacelift, his Hyundai sales advisor told him the diesel hardly used to sell. The consumers preferred Petrol more as most were used in the Urban hustle and I believe it. This segment of vehicles now caters to Urban buyers who doesn't mind the low ground clearance and have limited running. The sales advisor further added, the consumers going in for buying Elantra diesel ended up buying the Tucson or Creta depending on their budget. Some even bought Verna diesel Automatic as they felt spending the high mullah on Elantra did not made sense as Verna had the same engine with better driveability. I too for one wouldn't put my money on the Elantra diesel, even though its a segment above I would've preferred the Creta instead if diesel was a priority. If it had to be a sedan, Skoda Octavia it is irrespective of choices in the market as that car offers the best engine in it's segment be it on paper or on the road in terms of performance.

Last edited by YashD : 4th October 2019 at 14:12.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 22:55   #42
BHPian

Although it was a long shot earlier, the new prices have helped me rule out at least one choice. How can a car costing 20 lacs on road, not have automatic climate control?

I guess the only reason for it's existence is too herd future buyers towards the Verna SX(o).
Old 5th October 2019, 00:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marutifan View Post
Although it was a long shot earlier, the new prices have helped me rule out at least one choice. How can a car costing 20 lacs on road, not have automatic climate control?

I guess the only reason for it's existence is too herd future buyers towards the Verna SX(o).
I guess the base variants of all cars are almost always meant to entice those few buyers from the segment below
Old 5th October 2019, 19:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
I guess the base variants of all cars are almost always meant to entice those few buyers from the segment below
150 odd BHP vs 120 odd BHP, larger, wider seating, 2.0 litre engine, are worth the upgrade in my opinion, especially since 6 airbags now seem to be standard safety equipment across variants.2018 Elantra was on my hotlist for some time, but for the lower Ingress/egress for my parents comfort.
Old 5th October 2019, 21:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
150 odd BHP vs 120 odd BHP, larger, wider seating, 2.0 litre engine, are worth the upgrade in my opinion, especially since 6 airbags now seem to be standard safety equipment across variants.2018 Elantra was on my hotlist for some time, but for the lower Ingress/egress for my parents comfort.
I agree on the larger and wider seating. However losing out on the acc, and ventilated seats, and a whole lot of other features compared to the Verna sx(o), while costing 6 lacs more seems steep to me.

If we rationalize the other features, then we end up paying 10 lacs more for a slightly bigger car with a slightly better engine. To me at least it doesn't make sense. I think Hyundai will probably become a little more honest and add a few more features back in. Or else increase the prices of the Verna and end up shooting themselves in the foot in the current depressed market.
marutifan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks