Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which engine option would you take with the OHC body ?
Give me the OHC body with the NHC 1.5 engine 3 5.00%
Give me the OHC body with the NHC 1.5 Vtec engine 9 15.00%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.3 engine 1 1.67%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.5 engine 4 6.67%
Give me the OHC body with OHC 1.5 Vtec engine 37 61.67%
I like the NHC the way it is 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 14:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does the OHC body with the NHC heart appeal to you ?

Like many others on this forum, I have also been a great fan of the OHC. I still love it and admire the well-kept specimens that I see on the roads. However, when I was in the market for a C-segmenter, Honda had already phased it out and replaced it with an ugly looking version of the City (no offense intended to any NHC owners), but with more fuel efficiency, which is a prime factor here.

Seeing the many threads here that talk about the OHC (especially the 1.5 and Vtec versions), I was thinking about a scenario, where the big boys at Honda take inspiration from our forum and decide to bring back the OHC body (the shape, looks etc) with the following engine options.

Option 1 : OHC body with NHC 1.5 engine
Option 2 : OHC body with NHC 1.5 Vtec engine
Option 3 : OHC body with OHC 1.3 engine
Option 4 : OHC body with OHC 1.5 engine
Option 5 : OHC body with OHC 1.5 Vtec engine

Would like to know which of the above combinations appeals most to tbhp-ians ?

I would go for Option 1.
Rationale being that I am not a power freak (I do love the occasional adrenaline surge), do not redline my car, love FE cars and the 76bhp or so put out by the NHC is more than adequate for my needs (city and highway). The looks (or lack of it) was the only thing that put me off and made me go the Baleno way.

EDIT : Oops, I should have had a 6th poll option for those that prefer the NHC as it is now.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th January 2007 at 14:15.
Old 11th January 2007, 14:22   #2
BHPian

14" alloys on OHC + new VTEC

OHC Body made a little more sturdy and new VTEC + I'd like to have 14" alloys plz.
Old 11th January 2007, 14:25   #3
BHPian

I love the OHC Vtec.. If it were upto me, NHC would've been brought out as a different model for people aspiring for better fuel efficiency and for the tamed hearts.. No offence anyone.. But then I've always loved cars with long hoods and conventional sleek designs..
Old 11th January 2007, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'll take the OHC with Vtec engine though I'm very happy with my 1.5 non vtec OHC
Old 11th January 2007, 14:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One word : WHY?

To elaborate, the problem with the OHC was never the engine (so why change). And the problem with the NHC was never everything else (so why disregard).

The OHCs time has come and gone. Its time to move on. Atleast from the new car POV.
Old 11th January 2007, 14:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
To elaborate, the problem with the OHC was never the engine (so why change). And the problem with the NHC was never everything else (so why disregard).
GTO, I agree that there was nothing really wrong with the OHC engine. However, the newer engine has its plus points or else Honda would not have taken the trouble to dish out a new one. FE is one area (that I am aware of) where the new engine would better the OHC's engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The OHCs time has come and gone. Its time to move on. Atleast from the new car POV.
Again agree that the old has to make way for the new. However, it does not hurt to have the new one a step better than the one it replaces, does it ? In this case, the looks could have been bettered or atleast an attempt could have been made to avoid the spaceship kind of look.

Moreover, this is just a hypothetical attempt to gauge what we look for in our rides. I don't think Honda is going to go the OHC way.

EDIT : Mods, thanks for adding the 6th option to the poll.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th January 2007 at 14:44.
Old 11th January 2007, 15:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would still stick to the OHC with the VTEC engine. I neither like the shape nor the engine of the NHC.
Old 11th January 2007, 15:56   #8
BHPian

i like the NHC shape. Can i have NHC + OHC 1.5 L engine (presumably more powerful?
Old 11th January 2007, 16:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, I agree that there was nothing really wrong with the OHC engine. However, the newer engine has its plus points or else Honda would not have taken the trouble to dish out a new one. FE is one area (that I am aware of) where the new engine would better the OHC's engine.
The 1.5 regular NHC engine would have certain packaging differences also. Else the OHC 1.3 had identical FE but way better power @ 90BHP. On the other hand, the NHC engine has better driveability. Pretty even situation if you ask me...and not necessarily one engine being better than the other.

Quote:
However, it does not hurt to have the new one a step better than the one it replaces, does it ?
On the contrary, the new one is milestones ahead of the older one. Except for shape. But in terms of structural rigidity etc., it is leagues ahead.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

SB, i dont think your 3rd option will get any votes here, not saying that is not a good car, but considering the options it is difficult to vote for it. i will take the OHC with the Vtech anyday.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would pick option 6 for city and option 5 for highway.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
SB, i dont think your 3rd option will get any votes here, not saying that is not a good car, but considering the options it is difficult to vote for it. i will take the OHC with the Vtech anyday.
Yeah, I agree. However, given its specs (90bhp, good looks and good FE), it would be surprising if it did not have any fans here. If the NHC (the FE engine part of it, that is) was not in the picture, I would have plumped for the OHC1.3. IMO, it's a pocket rocket in its own right - like the Esteem.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th January 2007 at 16:26.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

I prefer the OHC with the OHC 1.5 VTEC engine.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Why not? For the one who expects max return on FE, live with a car that has excellent looks & decent performance
Old 11th January 2007, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

how about this .....

a NHC body with a OHC 1.3 engine ?.... i think this would have effectively killed the ACCENT, IKON, FIESTA, AVEO, and whatever else that sells in this segment,.....

Most Viewed