Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 13:28   #166
BHPian

re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Based on the features and the engine options that we are getting, I am still hoping that, the prices would be in the range of 18.xx to 20.xx .

As the petrol one is coming with CVT and paddle shifters and the diesel is getting only manual, is there a possibility that diesel will be cheaper of the two?

Maybe, Honda has planned 1.5L turbo for later, the same way they came up with limited number of Hybrid's ten years back !
daf23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 13:41   #167
Senior - BHPian

Those lane change cameras in ORVM and the side indicators on the bumper sides , on Indian roads Good luck Honda !
Really wish they had atleast given the manual option on Petrol.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

There are a lot of concern over charging ports - but I see 3 charging ports provided in this car - the 12v socket in front, the 1.5A usb socket in front and the 12v socket in the middle.
The socket below the armrest , or rather the driver armrest, is designed in such a way that the socket is usable by the rear occupants.
As this car lacks built in navigation, I suspect that the socket that shall be used most is the 1.5A USB, which shall connect the phone to provide navigation / entertainment via android auto / apple carplay, at the same time charging the phone.

Yes, people have to be REALLY cautious with that protruding lane change camera on the left ORVM.

Regarding the price, I can take a wild guess that the petrol and diesel shall be priced very close to each other, as we have seen that almost always, the petrol top end automatic is priced very close to the diesel top end manual. Eg: both City ZX CVT petrol and the ZX MT diesel ex Showroom is 14.27 lakhs

Also, Honda website has been updated including the civic in the model lineup

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-screenshot-16.png
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 15:21   #169
Team-BHP Support

From the reviews so far it looks like Honda got it right with the Civic, especially on the diesel variant. Though its well loaded on features couple of add-ons would have made it better, for e.g.; memory seats. The front seats are really good, but I felt the one on sale in Singapore is quite bad on under thigh support for the rear seats. And they would have provided black interiors as an option, I have seen it here and it looks really sporty.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 16:08   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
A few video reviews mention that the seats are low slung.
This concerns me since I tend to suffer back aches and at times it is very painful getting into or out off sedans.
And most reviewers have mentioned that the ground clearance is better than the older version.
That is not saying much since the older one was much criticized for bottom scrapping.

I hope the official Team-Bhp review addresses these issues.
If you have back pain during ingress/egress, then it would make sense to avoid sedans altogether, there's really nothing a review can add here. Besides, increasing ground clearance won't really have any noticeable impact on seating position.

As for back pain during travelling, I can vouch that gen 8 Civic is really comfortable by segment standards. And typically, these parameters don't undergo a massive change across models.

PS: There's a very instructive thread on back pain and riding, would strongly recommend going through:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...n-driving.html (Severe back pain and driving!)
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 17:00   #171
BHPian

The initial reviews seem promising. Performance is an area where there's room for improvement. But it seems to deliver everywhere else. It's very well loaded too.

All hopes are now pinned on the price. Only one top variant + Honda pricing means it's going to be pricey. Honda must not get too carried away here. I have a feeling that both the variants will be priced very close to each other. Ideal would be 19-21 lakhs ex-showroom.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 17:08   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
All hopes are now pinned on the price. Only one top variant + Honda pricing means it's going to be pricey. Honda must not get too carried away here. I have a feeling that both the variants will be priced very close to each other. Ideal would be 19-21 lakhs ex-showroom.
Expect a wider price range because both petrol and diesel will have a mid-variant with smaller 16 inch wheels and projector headlamps (not LEDs). It is quite likely that few other fancy features will be culled from mid-variant.

Just don't expect any shock pricing. I think it will be priced at par with or slightly above Hyundai Elantra petrol and diesel variants.
Old 16th February 2019, 18:00   #173
BHPian

Considering how they priced the Accord, I am not too hopeful on the pricing of the Civic. The reviews have been a mixed bag, I don't think anyone came out of them saying it was a winner. Mediocre engine performance, same old engines. Nothing in the mid range, missing out on some features that the completion provides, such as ventilated seats, CVT gear box is not inspiring either. The rear seats are too low placed and that's an issue for under thigh support. And they are pretty much meant for only 2 people. This is not going to appeal to the enthusiast, that is where Skoda scores. It's more of a jack of all trades but not doing anything better specifically. It's just my opinion, and I'm not impressed. This may appeal to a lot of other people, but I think that's only till the point Honda messes up the pricing again.
iFuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 18:41   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Expect a wider price range because both petrol and diesel will have a mid-variant with smaller 16 inch wheels and projector headlamps (not LEDs). It is quite likely that few other fancy features will be culled from mid-variant.

Just don't expect any shock pricing. I think it will be priced at par with or slightly above Hyundai Elantra petrol and diesel variants.
If the top end petrol is priced on par / slightly above the Elantra's petrol variant then it would be quiet cheaper than the Corolla Altis top end petrol. I have been holding out from buying the Elantra top end petrol since the Civic's possible launch news came up. But then, Elantra is also poised to upgrade its line mid this year... Some decent choices once again in this segment !
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 01:34   #175
BHPian

Honda Civic - Booked !

Hi all,

We have booked the 10th-generation Civic (Zx) Petrol CVT (Platinum White). The car is supposed to replace our 2nd gen Honda City (2004) which has run about 70,000 km. Booking amount Rs 51,000/-

The dealer is expecting 5 cars to arrive at Thiruvananthapuram just before the launch on March 7, 2019. We will confirm the booking only after proper test drives. The car is meant to be used by my father. We have decided to wait for the second lot.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-civic-booking.jpg

Expectations

Hope the car will have good safety parameters like the international version. Expect linear power delivery, comfortable ride and acceptable handling. The localisation of the 10th Civic is about 30%.

Concerns

1, Will the Indian Civic meet the international standards in safety?

There were concerns about the construction of Elantra

“The US spec Elantra uses a new construction method that uses more glued-together panels rather than spot-welding, by using aerospace adhesives .The glue bead is applied robotically - but Hyundai’s India plant will not be able to offer the same level of sophistication in the car's construction

Link http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/exclusi...review-1340075

2, Pricing

The ex-showroom price is expected to be 15.5 L to 19.5 L.
Honda being Honda will certainly over price the top end version. I think the Civic ZX CVT (Petrol) will undercut the top end Corolla Altis (VL CVT Petrol) by a small margin.

Corolla Altis (VL CVT Petrol) on road price at Thiruvananthapuram
Ex-Showroom Price (Incl. GST) 20,19,000 + 4,15,800 (RTO) + 1,04,725 (Insurance) + 20,190 Tax Collected at Source (TCS) = ₹ 25,59,715 (Source – Carwale.com)

Two more variants expected for the petrol CVT, V and VX. Probably to attract customers to the showroom. Disappointed ones can buy the top end City Zx CVT. It commands an on road price of 16.71 L ! at Thiruvalla, Kerala.

But like the 4th Gen City (facelift) it seems only the Zx will have 6 airbags. When compared to Vx the Zx is also expected to have sunroof, full LED headlamps, Lane watch camera and 17” alloys instead of 16”. The mid and top variant (petrol) will have 7" Touchscreen HU with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

3, Ground clearance – 171 mm. The person who attended the training says Honda has tested the car more than 60,000 km in Indian conditions. They have specifically adjusted the ride height and suspension settings so that it will not bottom out. Hoping for the best.

Features expected on all variants as per reports from auto journalists

Vehicle Stability Assist
Agile Handling Assist (1st in Segment)
Brake assist
Hill start assist
ABS with EBD
Electronic Handbrake with Auto Hold

Walkaway Auto Lock
Cruise Control
Multi view Reverse Camera
Smart Key (Option to Remote Start Car)
Dual Zone Climate Control
Rear AC Vents

I am very sorry that I shared the wrong details about the Civic’s petrol engine in an earlier post. I hoped that they will choose the 2.0-litre i-VTEC petrol (154hp, 189Nm torque) paired with CVT in Civic. But unfortunately Honda has opted for the 1.8-litre i-VTEC motor, now with 141hp (only). Honda should have brought the 1.5-Liter turbocharged engine for Civic. But there are several reports on the engine issues involving the Honda’s 1.5-liter turbo engine.

Link 1 http://www.motor1.com/news/268789/ho...oubles-report/

Link 2 http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...ngine-trouble/

Hope I will be able to redeem myself by writing a good initial ownership report in Team Bhp. God be willing.

I have replaced 3rd Gen Honda City (2009-2017) which had covered 1,58,000 km with Honda CRV 2.4 i-VTEC on Dec 2017. It has covered 22k. So far so good.

When the price gets announce please don’t call Civic “dead on arrival” it hurts Honda fans like me

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-jazz-crv.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Spacing and formatting / as requested via PM
Mevtec is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 02:42   #176
BHPian

I have been watching various Civic video reviews, they mention Civic to have a boot size of 430L.

Whereas, the humbler City has a boot size of 510L.

Can someone please to explain me the logic behind this?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2019 at 07:41. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 17th February 2019, 04:57   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
If you have back pain during ingress/egress, then it would make sense to avoid sedans altogether, there's really nothing a review can add here.

I can vouch that gen 8 Civic is really comfortable by segment standards.

PS: There's a very instructive thread on back pain and riding, would strongly recommend going through:
Thank you for the vote of confidence in the ride quality of the Older Civic.

Due to my back ache problems, I may have to stick to SUV or MUVs but this vehicle is something I have been keeping a keen eye on. Let's see how the test drives go.

I have read through the thread on back ache and I thank you for linking to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi all,

We have booked the 10th-generation Civic (Zx) Petrol CVT (Platinum White). The car is supposed to replace our 2nd gen Honda City (2004) which has run about 70,000 km. Booking amount Rs 51,000/-
Congratulations on your booking. Hoping that Honda does not disappoint you and her various fans in India with the pricing. Good to see so many Hondas in your back yard including the last generation CRV.

Eagerly awaiting your ownership review of the vehicle once you have taken delivery post pricing reveal and launch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2019 at 07:42. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 08:25   #178
BANNED

Re: Honda Civic - Booked !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi all,

But like the 4th Gen City (facelift) it seems only the Zx will have 6 airbags.

3, Ground clearance – 171 mm.
I think in the zigwheels review, the reviewer mentioned about 6 airbags standard across all variants. Since the localisation is less, expecting better quality parts, hence better reliability.

I could see a 4th gen Honda City in the pic you shared. It is having 165mm of ground clearance and I also own one and never bottomed out in the last 76,000+ kms I covered. So civic with that ground clearance should be fine I think.

Last edited by manson : 21st February 2019 at 18:29. Reason: Typo.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 08:39   #179
BHPian

As per the website carwale.com, the civic will be priced starting INR 13 Lakhs!!

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190217083527_chrome.jpg
Old 17th February 2019, 09:52   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
As per the website carwale.com, the civic will be priced starting INR 13 Lakhs!!

Attachment 1849496

None of these guys know a damn thing. They are speculating left, right and centre! This is classic way of getting more click through a for the website...
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks