Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 15:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Honda simply cannot afford to charge a premium on their products like the way they used to. With the SUV boom and the fall of the D segment, it's not feasible unless they're looking to re-introduce the Civic brand name for an image boost.

I really like the new Civic. The fastback styling and sharp features make it look like no other sedan in the market currently. And that interior, particularly the dashboard, is reminiscent of '90s JDM sports cars! It's a great product, especially if it's powered by fast turbo petrol and a refined diesel engines.

However, Honda simply cannot make the mistake of overpricing it. Nobody will buy a Civic for 27-30 lakh, and that's how much I anticipate one would have to shell out for the top-spec Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Launching Civic may not be a game changer in the segment. However what Honda should have prioritised is the launch of HR-V. Is Honda blind to the fact that Creta is selling 10000+ every month, without a proper competition? Why are they bothered about 150+ when they can easily sell 5000+ with HR-V? But what the heck it's Honda. They have their method to their madness.
HR-V, Honda believes, is worthy competition to the likes of the Hyundai Tucson and the Jeep Compass.

Honda has a method to their madness, but it's just madness now and no method anymore.

Honda should focus on making the Civic a viable and cost-friendly option in the D segment. They should also focus on bringing the Amaze-based new Brio as soon as possible, not to mention the HR-V.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 15:27   #17
BHPian

A quick google search indicates that Honda is planning to drive in the facelift of the 10th gen Civic to Australia in 2019. I am very keen to know if we will be getting the facelifted version first before rolling out to other markets. If they can start the range from say 13.99 lakhs I think they could infact find good numbers. While they are it, they should plan to bring in the Type R or the RS spec as Octavia RS competition. That should keep Skoda on their toes.
Old 30th November 2018, 17:31   #18
BHPian

It seems that Honda is planning to go the CKD route with the Civic. That is certainly not going to help it when it comes to price competitiveness with respect to the competition (like Elantra). Though CKD does not attract as much duty as CBU, it does help in jacking up the price substantially.

Keeping that in mind I do not see the Civic being anything other than another dud product from Honda. Ideally, Honda should consolidate the variantes of City (like they did with Jazz and WR-V) and launch the Civic (petrol) within 10% of City ZX i-Dtec. If it is priced even a lac over the Octavia, it will not sell. They can of course keep a twin turbo diesel (Civic RS?) to compete with the Octavia vRS at the very top end of the line up.
Old 30th November 2018, 18:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Honda India is not what it used to be, though they may think so. They're neither proactive nor competitive. City sales are sliding as people know now that it isn't worth the premium over the Ciaz and Verna, which is true. Amaze is the only saving grace with City for Honda India.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 20:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
It seems that Honda is planning to go the CKD route with the Civic. That is certainly not going to help it when it comes to price competitiveness with respect to the competition (like Elantra). Though CKD does not attract as much duty as CBU, it does help in jacking up the price substantially.

Keeping that in mind I do not see the Civic being anything other than another dud product from Honda. Ideally, Honda should consolidate the variantes of City (like they did with Jazz and WR-V) and launch the Civic (petrol) within 10% of City ZX i-Dtec. If it is priced even a lac over the Octavia, it will not sell. They can of course keep a twin turbo diesel (Civic RS?) to compete with the Octavia vRS at the very top end of the line up.

All D1 segment cars have always been CKD AFAIK. This leads to:

1. Better quality
2. Higher than needed price

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 30th November 2018 at 20:02.
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As an ex-Civic owner, this news made my day! Not going to be easy for the car though:

1. Going by the ludicrous pricing of the CR-V & Accord, Honda thinks it has become "Mercedes". If they are going to overprice this, I would recommend them saving the effort & sending the Civic back where it came from.

2. After the Civic was discontinued, the City was moved up by half a segment. The top-variant of the City costs 17 lakhs on the road in Bombay. That makes you wonder about how expensive the Civic will be.

3. The D1 sedan segment itself has crashed, all thanks to the SUVs & Crossovers. Even segment champions like the Corolla & Octavia do just 200 - 300 cars a month. There was a time when the Corolla used to do 1000 cars / month.

I hope Honda pleasantly surprises us with the pricing, but I'm not holding my breath for the same.
The best way to be Honda and not become "Mercedes" is to introduce Civic 2019 with 1.6L naturally aspirated petrol engine or 1.5L Turbo petrol.

1.8L NA Petrol engine or 2.0L NA Petrol engine make civic pricing go through the roof!
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
The best way to be Honda and not become "Mercedes" is to introduce Civic 2019 with 1.6L naturally aspirated petrol engine or 1.5L Turbo petrol.

1.8L NA Petrol engine or 2.0L NA Petrol engine make civic pricing go through the roof!
The 1.5Turbo is more expensive to make than the 1.8 NA engine. The US pricing is an indication of that economic.

So, while it's easy for Honda to plonk the 1.8NA engine, we want the 1.5Turbo!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th February 2019 at 08:40. Reason: Spacing
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Judging from the size of the car there is no doubt that Honda will ask for 20 Big Ones for this car. The city has become the new Civic, the Civic has become the new Accord and the Accord has become the new Acura maybe? I hope they have solved the engine mount problem in this one. Honda does not seem to learn. They have pulled out the Brio. This means they want to go back to playing the premium car manufacturer that people once perceived them to be in India. Civic probably will be the starting point for that direction. I hope they price it right even if i know they won't be doing so.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

IF and this is a big IF this car is priced at anything over 23 L OTR, it's going to die a long slow death. Even Honda fans can only carry it so far.

I hope Honda has learned its lessons having had its "premium" nose rubbed in the dust over the past 5+ years.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 18:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

2019 Honda Civic spied testing In India again.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-2019hondacivic.jpeg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 19:34   #26
BHPian

I wonder what they are testing. Honda are known to launching models never seen on test in India. Even India specific models like the Amaze. What's so Indianized about this Civic that it needs on road testing?
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 23:44   #27
BHPian

I am not sure if my reading below is correct or not. Please rectify me if I am mistaken.

Most auto companies in India properly camouflage their upcoming products while testing them for the domestic market. However, when their intent is to test it for other markets (mostly ASEAN markets), their test mules run uncamouflaged. I have seen the latter trend with Toyota CHR, Kia Sorento and VW Up. Of these, Sorento might still come down the line but Up probably won't and Toyota has not confirmed CHR for India yet.

Products being made and tested for India are seen undisguised only when they are very near to the reveal/launch.
Old 17th December 2018, 11:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

More of Honda Civic on Indian roads,

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:47   #29
BHPian

It’s good seeing the civic being tested first on the Indian roads. The last car Honda launched without bothering to put it to any test was the 4th gen city. It came out with bucketload of niggles . More the testing the better
Old 17th December 2018, 14:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think the next generation CIVIC will be ready for launch overseas by the time Honda brings us this one !

Do they have a timeline for launch ? Also i still dont understand the logic of bringing in a car so late into its product lifecycle. It is a tremendous looker and can do well for 2 years in India.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th February 2019 at 08:41. Reason: Spacing
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks