Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 14:04   #271
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

@Mods - any idea when the official review for this would be published?
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:22   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Honda is back to its innovative ways.

In a diverse country like India - multi-lingual suspension is certainly the way forward
I think it is the 'auto correct', they must have meant 'Multi-Link'
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:36   #273
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the New Civic lines up against the competition
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-price.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:49   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Honda is back to its innovative ways.

In a diverse country like India - multi-lingual suspension is certainly the way forward
�� Funny one and a good catch

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2019 at 16:05. Reason: Spacing
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:56   #275
Senior - BHPian

I feel the petrol Civic is very aggressively priced by Honda. Not sure how everyone is still finding the Octavia VFM considering the poor resale value and ASS woes. I have a few questions for people here who think this car is overpriced:

1. Do you have an overall better package in this segment which sells somewhere around 200 cars a month. Don't get me wrong but Octavia is my pick and I would still buy it. However, the DSG horror stories will still linger in my mind while paying the booking amount

2. 5 years down the line when it comes to resale, would you rather buy a 5 year old automatic Skoda or a Civic?

3. Majority of the Indian car market are not car enthusiasts so they don't really care about extra power of the Octavia. So I feel Civic will be the go-to car in this segment. And considering the price is lower than the Octavia do you still think the normal Indian will go for a Skoda ?

Last edited by Pancham : 7th March 2019 at 15:08.
Pancham is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 15:17   #276
Senior - BHPian

I believe this is fantastic pricing by Honda. A manual Petrol variant would have created mayhem in the market! The market at this price point has moved to SUV, I don't see any other reason for this to fail. Civic has a fan following and current gen looks stunning to me. My family doesnot like to sit low and Indian roads are not pleasing always. If not these reasons, I would have bought a red civic instead of red Crysta!

Note:Probability of success for car names starting with "C" is higher(Ex: Creta,City,Crysta, Celerio,Ciaz, C Class etc). Yes Captur/Captiva have bombed in market.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th March 2019 at 15:23.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 15:43   #277
Senior - BHPian

I am on the fence regarding the pricing. Considering the taxes in Maharashtra I think the OTR pricing for the Civic VX XVT will be around INR 23L whereas the ZX CVT will surely breach the 25L mark.

Considering the flagging sales for this segment, Honda had a great opportunity to revive this segment with a attractive pricing. The Civic name has such a good brand recall, but this is not going to happen.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2019 at 16:05. Reason: Spacing
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 16:10   #278
Senior - BHPian

I was at the dealership during the launch and I got a 7 km test drive immediately after launch. Drove the petrol CVT. The rubber band effect of the CVT kills the performance and I still prefer the torque converter of my 2012 Civic any day. The interior though loaded with features is typical Honda. The hard plastics on the door pads really felt cheap and so did the door locks inside. Either Im nitpicking too much or Im spoilt by the quality and build of my GT TSI.

While they didnt give me the OTR pricing for Mumbai, the V should be approx 20 lakhs, VX 23 lakhs and ZX 25 lakhs on road respectively. Didn't bother asking about the diesel.

My Civic turns 7 this year and will be out of warranty after April end. After the standard 2+2 we took the Anytime warranty till 7th year and I have to say it was more than worth it. Got lots of stuff changed in warranty: AC cooling coil, power steering pump, AC fan motor and the key transmitter. Will be sending the car for a check up in April to see if there's anything else I can get changed before it expires.

My dad wishes to replace his Civic next year so and his only criteria is the next car should last 10 years. Lets see how that goes. The new Civic was one option but we really want to go the full size SUV way.

While I was at the showroom just shot a small video as well.

Dippy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 16:29   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I feel the petrol Civic is very aggressively priced by Honda. Not sure how everyone is still finding the Octavia VFM considering the poor resale value and ASS woes. I have a few questions for people here who think this car is overpriced:
?
Honda ASS is a big plus and my experience with them since 2000 has been excellent (all things considered).

I do recall however, in the year 2001-2002, when Skoda was launched that Honda was the more premium brand, something that has dramatically shifted in less than 20 years.

Honda's global models, Jazz with 1.5L, Civic, Accord, CR-V, HR-V are all excellent automobiles in their class, from one of the most storied auto makers in automotive history.

In terms of real world performance for those people who in their lifetime, will only own/drive less than a dozen cars over long enough a distance to truly know them (most of us really), the Civic will be an excellent car.

The multi-link suspension is a big draw for me as this means that city and highway ride will be excellent.

Honda's petrol engines are still near top of the class and this old school VTEC maybe the last of an era.

If not for my decision to pick up a pre-worshipped VW Jetta Diesel last year, I would have certainly gone for the new Civic in 2020.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 7th March 2019 at 16:33. Reason: grammar
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 16:56   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

While I was at the showroom just shot a small video as well.
The legroom looks pretty average. Was the seat pushed all the way back? Legroom behind front passenger looks ridiculous!
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 16:58   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The rubber band effect of the CVT kills the performance and I still prefer the torque converter of my 2012 Civic any day.
When you say 'CVT kills performance', it sounds like acceleration is noticeably dull because of the transmission. But that is not the case at all. It's just that power delivery characteristics of CVT is very different from that of a manual or torque convertor. The new Honda Civic CVT is still a pretty quick car.

Evidence: Acceleration performance of City CVT Vs City Manual. The automatic is just one second slower than manual to 100 kmph. There is actually no difference in 40 to 100 kmph acceleration time between CVT & manual. Also do note that one second penalty was there in 2006 Honda Civic torque convertor AT too (when compared to 2006 Honda Civic MT)

Of the two options (petrol vs diesel), I prefer the petrol CVT over the manual diesel. If one is not too enamored with in-car gadgets, VX variant is the one to go for.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th March 2019 at 17:01.
SmartCat is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:07   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
When you say 'CVT kills performance', it sounds like acceleration is noticeably dull because of the transmission. But that is not the case at all. It's just that power delivery characteristics of CVT is very different from that of a manual or torque convertor. The new Honda Civic CVT is still a pretty quick car.

Evidence: Acceleration performance of City CVT Vs City Manual. The automatic is just one second slower than manual to 100 kmph. There is actually no difference in 40 to 100 kmph acceleration time between CVT & manual. Also do note that one second penalty was there in 2006 Honda Civic torque convertor AT too (when compared to 2006 Honda Civic MT)

Of the two options (petrol vs diesel), I prefer the petrol CVT over the manual diesel. If one is not too enamored with in-car gadgets, VX variant is the one to go for.
You have a point there too. Guess its just that im not used to driving a CVT and having a torque converter and DSG in the garage. I would say acceleration is linear if that is the right word. For relaxed driving it completely fits the bill. But I was just comparing the CVT directly to my torque converter Civic. But of course there are paddle shifters in the new car as well
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:08   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

In terms of real world performance for those people who in their lifetime, will only own/drive less than a dozen cars over long enough a distance to truly know them (most of us really), the Civic will be an excellent car.

The multi-link suspension is a big draw for me as this means that city and highway ride will be excellent.
Bang on - it will suit most folks who are commuting, driving normally, very little dynamic loading. Keen drivers like me who are the minority did not take to the CVT so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The legroom looks pretty average. Was the seat pushed all the way back? Legroom behind front passenger looks ridiculous!
I sat "behind myself". Am 6 ft, it was fine, your feet sit under the seat but plenty of room to wiggle your toes or let your left foot play footsie with the right!
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 17:40   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the new Civic has been priced well by Honda. It's not over the top, as we are used to see as per the pricing history of Honda. It has been placed very well in the segment it will fight. A manual transmission option would have been great.

The 1.6 diesel looks pricey to me due to the engine specs. I will wait for official review/ observation in person to check the interior build quality, but if Honda has cut corners here, it will be a big mistake. I was reading somewhere about average quality door pads. This is not a segment where you can cut corners and especially when the brand Civic has such a strong and positive recall. Honda must know that apart from the competition, the new Civic will have to compete with itself: the 8th gen car- if not in the market, then at least in people's mind. Perception game is going to matter here a lot.

Coming to the looks, I have said that and I will not hesitate to say it again. The 8th generation Civic wasn't a 'classic' design or even a timeless design like models of VWs, but still looks great even a decade later. It is a design in its own league. Honda had a big task to compete with their own design, and I would say they have fallen short.

This new Civic is not a bad looking car, but its too flashy for my liking. And in fact, looks like an overgrown Amaze to me, which itself is not a looker to begin with. But since it's a subjective matter, I wouldn't delve more than just stating my opinion.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 7th March 2019 at 17:44.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 18:48   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Yup the seats were pushed all the way back. Legroom is decent for the most but very tall passengers could have an issue. I cant say much about the headroom because Im short.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed