Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 18:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Most of these features are already available on the Petrol City ZX variant. How much premium can Honda charge for giving additional 20+ BHP and additional 25+ NM Torque for the Civic branding?

Last edited by SnS_12 : 13th February 2019 at 18:58.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:08   #107
BHPian

I love the look of the car! So much nostalgia around this car

However I concur with what a lot of others are saying here - there doesn't seem to be much marketing/buzz about it so far, the pricing will most probably be fairly high and it does seem like a dying segment.

A better business strategy could have been introducing the HR-V with a big bang in India! I wonder if Honda have some ace up their sleeve for this launch. Maybe a price point really undercutting others in this segment? A man can dream!
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
According to my sources at Honda,

The New Honda Civic will come packed with Features, some of the key one's have been revealed,

• Full LED Headlamps & Tail Lamps
  • LED Fog Lamps
  • 17" Diamond Finish Alloy Wheels
  • Integrated Spoiler with Stop Lamp
  • Beige Upholstery
  • Multi Function Steering Wheel
  • Full Digital Instrument Cluster
  • Electric Sunroof
  • Powered Driver Seat
  • Dual Zone Climate Control
  • Electronic Handbrake with Auto Hold
  • Smart Key (Option to Remote Start Car)
  • Automatic Wipers and Headlights
  • 7" Touchscreen HU with Apple Car Play and Android Auto

More information will be shared as I get to know them.

Cheers
There is nothing outstanding about the feature list to be honest. Even hatchbacks come loaded these days. The top end XUV300 gets 7 airbags. Honda will just have an excuse of being fully loaded to come up with a ridiculous price tag.

We have a 2012 Civic V AT that Dad uses, its now done around 72k kms. Dad is looking to change in 2020 and said he wants a car that will last 10 years. The Civic was honestly coming to mind as a contender but with a hefty price tag for that same engine, I really doubt it.

Maybe once it becomes a sales dud we could get heavy discounts, or look else where. Time will tell.
Dippy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:57   #109
BHPian

Civic 1.8’s 0 to 100 Kmph sprint takes 10.4s according to https://paultan.org/2017/01/12/galle...tly-competent/. This article also says that turbo petrols are outselling 1.8 version in Malaysia and it looks like Honda hasn’t learned from this experience. I guess this is uninspiring for a performance sedan to say the least. In comparison, the turbo petrol takes just 8.2s which is very competitive. I think Honda has lost the plot if it sticks to 1.8 petrol and MT diesel.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 13th February 2019 at 20:01.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:05   #110
BHPian

I am guessing that Honda will eventually bring in the Automatic Diesel in a few months and command even more premium then on to be launching MT Diesel. At 22-24 lacs even if you decide on a 120bhp turbo charged engine you atleast do not want to be shifting gears yourself. For me it looks like Civic Diesel has Automatic gearbox in the pipeline for India once they capitalise on the initial buzz.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:13   #111
BHPian

I can't understand what is the USP of the Civic. There is almost no difference in the power or features over a City ZX and it just seems ridiculously overpriced.

Seems like Honda has been recently deleting the USPs of their cars. (Jazz facelift lost the main USP, the Magic Seats)

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Some other random thoughts -
- Internationally the next-gen Civic is only a year or two away. Honda has never been one to sell outdated models in India. I think it the next-gen Civic will come to India within a year of its international launch, which means this car is only going to be on sale for two years or so.

- The next gen City and Corolla are scheduled for a 2020 launch. Is the Civic gonna get hammered from both ends, much like the previous gen did back in 2009?

- A note to Honda - A Civic 1.5 Turbo at 23-24 lakhs ex-showroom would've been a success. Why? Because premium customers are willing to pay more to get more.

No chance that we will get the next generation Civic slated for a 2020 launch globally in the year 2021 ! Honda has invested a lot into this current model with 65-70% localisation is what i read somewhere. No way can they recover costs in 2 years. Also no vendor would invest into parts for this car if it is sold for only 2 years. We will have this one in the market till at least 2024.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2019 at 00:06. Reason: Trimming quoted post and only retaining the relevant bits. Please do the same going forward. Thanks!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 21:00   #113
BHPian

This car looks smashing in white.

Eagerly waiting for the pricing reveal and this one goes into serious consideration for me this year.

Fingers crossed that Honda do not disappoint as usual.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2019 at 00:04. Reason: Spacing
Old 13th February 2019, 21:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Knowing Honda and their penchant for premium pricing, I think the Civic will be priced at a significant premium over Hyundai Elantra SX(O) AT, which retails at around INR 19L ex-showroom Mumbai (INR 22.5L OTR). Even the top end Toyota Corolla VT CVT has an ex-showroom price of INR 20.2L.
I am guessing the top end Civic AT will easily cross 20.5L ex-showroom. I'd rather take the Elantra if I am in the market.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 13th February 2019 at 21:49.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 22:55   #115

From what we have seen till now, Honda seems to be making the right moves. They are bringing Civic with the bells and the whistles (including a rumoured 5 star NCAP & within a reasonable price range). With a conscious effort from Honda to improve in QA from past few years, really hopeful to get hands on this looker. 🤗

Off Topic - On one hand we want 5 start NCAP in compact hatchbacks and term feature loaded and impressively successful Maruti's as Tin cans & on other we want the Civic to be affordable. Don't be greedy guys 😅
Old 13th February 2019, 23:59   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
More Hara Kiri from Honda!! An enthusiastic petrol paired with a rubber-band auto transmission and a middle of the road oil burner paired with a manual! Honda India are smoking something exotic!!!
Don't rule out the current Honda CVT until you have tried it.

It is one of the best CVT implementations ever and drives better than a typical torque converter. This new Civic is a fantastic car for its segment and if priced in the 14-18 range should do well in India.

Last edited by Asifgrkhan : 14th February 2019 at 00:09. Reason: Spacing
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 00:08   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
This new Civic is a fantastic car for its segment and if priced in the 14-18 range should do well in India.
14L starting price is highly unlikely for the Civic, because that's exactly how much the City ZX CVT Petrol and ZX MT diesel costs.

18 - 20L price range is more realistic IMHO. Less variance between the entry and top trims, because there is no petrol manual at the bottom end, and no diesel automatic at the top end of the price spectrum.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2019 at 00:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 00:54   #118
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Civic Petrol is likely to be priced just below Octavia Petrol and above Elantra Petrol.

Civic should be the petrol vehicle to get inspite of the Octavia due to the relative peace of mind it offers.

The segment itself is small and significant numbers can't be expected. Civic should sweep the petrol numbers though.

But from being a segment leader in all ways, it now is quite comparable at best.

Last edited by ACM : 14th February 2019 at 01:03.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 02:52   #119
BHPian

Honda will be using the R18Z1 Engine in the new Civic instead of the R18A. I read on some international forum that the VTEC principle for both the engines are a little different. Has anyone driven the Civic with the Z1 engine? If yes, then what's the difference between the A Series and Z1 in terms of performance?
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 05:02   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Am somewhat surprised Honda is taking the trouble to launch this car. Volumes for D segment sedans have collapsed completely - even the Corolla sells just a couple of hundred units despite having the Hired Taxi spec 1.4 l Diesel. So the good case outcome is selling 250-300 units a month - if they get to 500 units a month even for a year, they would need to be celebrating. We should expect pricing to be based on that market dynamic - this car would need to make margins from the first unit sold. So a ₹ 20 l + price is a given; the only question is how much above ₹ 20 l.

I think the car looks good and the instrument cluster seems cool as well. Will I buy it? Unlikely - but will test drive it late this year while evaluating my Vento replacement.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks