Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 07:45   #121
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

As an ex-Civic owner, I am very disappointed. At one time, Honda was on top of the power charts of all segments they competed in (including the mad Accord V6). Now, this one's petrol gets just 140 BHP? That's hardly a 10 BHP increase over the 13-year older car sold in India (i.e. 2006 Civic). And the diesel - don't even get me started. No Diesel AT? LOL.

Knowing Honda's stupid & greedy pricing, it will have a ridiculous MRP too (hoping against hope for a surprise here).

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2019 at 07:47.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 07:59   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
Don't rule out the current Honda CVT until you have tried it.

It is one of the best CVT implementations ever and drives better than a typical torque converter.
May be you are right. It may be one of the better CVTs on sale based on international reviews but no evidence to suggest it may be better in feel than a TC. Anyway that debate is for another day.

As far as the international reviews are concerned, they are for the 1.5 turbo petrol version. The turbo will have more torque and I am thinking that would help mask the rubber band effect of the CVT( some one please correct me if I am wrong). The one we are getting is the NA engine. So let's wait out on this one

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th February 2019 at 08:17. Reason: Spacing
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 08:09   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Civic Petrol is likely to be priced just below Octavia Petrol and above Elantra Petrol.

Civic should be the petrol vehicle to get inspite of the Octavia due to the relative peace of mind it offers.

The segment itself is small and significant numbers can't be expected. Civic should sweep the petrol numbers though.

But from being a segment leader in all ways, it now is quite comparable at best.
I'd rather take the Elantra 2.0L petrol automatic and save a few lakhs and also have peace of mind!!
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 08:27   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

See how the D-Segment has changed from 2007 to the current situation. Predicts a 700 car/month sale ( assuming the pricing is right), in a best case scenario.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:
While 40,992 cars were sold in the segment for the year 2007 (average of 3,416 cars per month); the sales for the segment dropped to 6,014 cars in 2018 (average of 501 cars per month). While we do not see the hopes of any revival for Optra & Laura; we anticipate Civic to sell ~50% of what it was selling in 2007.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th February 2019 at 08:28.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 08:46   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
As far as the international reviews are concerned, they are for the 1.5 turbo petrol version. The turbo will have more torque and I am thinking that would help mask the rubber band effect of the CVT( some one please correct me if I am wrong). The one we are getting is the NA engine. So let's wait out on this one
More instant torque is a sweet recipe for rubber band effect in a CVT, heard of diesel engine de-tuning for Amaze CVT? The rubber band effect happens due the friction loss between the belt and the pulley. Since CVT employs a belt and pulley arrangement rather than gears, the friction between the belt and the pulley is the one which causes the forward or backward movement of the vehicle. In simple words, the rubber band effect can be described as ‘prolonged slip in a belt drive’. Also CVT is a gearless transmission in the real sense.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 09:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

With the Civic, Honda got a good product in hand and the car has great road presence; almost looks like its from a segment above.
But the options chosen are a bit puzzling – the segment is already niche, and to that they are bringing in a petrol CVT and diesel MT. Why not a MT petrol and the diesel AT combo as in the CR-V?
And I am quite sure that it will easily touch 30 lakhs on-road for the top variants – not really a smart move.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:16   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As an ex-Civic owner, I am very disappointed. At one time, Honda was on top of the power charts of all segments they competed in (including the mad Accord V6). Now, this one's petrol gets just 140 BHP? That's hardly a 10 BHP increase over the 13-year older car sold in India (i.e. 2006 Civic). And the diesel - don't even get me started. No Diesel AT? LOL.

Knowing Honda's stupid & greedy pricing, it will have a ridiculous MRP too (hoping against hope for a surprise here).
Actually I am not too disappointed. After the CR-V I knew Honda has no plans to get the 1.5L turbo to India.

What I expected was that they would get the 2.0L engine (154BHP) from the CR-V. This is available in other markets as well and would have been on par with competition. The cost would have been marginal since they already have the same engine in the CR-V.

As it now stands, the Elantra has better performance on paper than the Civic. This was never the case.

The 1.8L is adequate but they really needed to get that 2.0L since they didn't want to get a brand new 1.5L turbo to India just yet.

With the 1.8L engine they should really price it well. I would say keep it under 20L ex-showroom (petrol CVT) which is same as the Corolla and 1L more than the Elantra. When you cross 20L in some states the road tax also goes up so a price of 19.xx would be sweet spot.

When they start crossing 21 it will be Octavia category and they don't have the engine, gearbox or features to match the Octy.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 10:17   #128
BHPian

The old-gen Civic was a stunner and still looks fresh on the road, and I admire the design each time I spot a well-maintained example on the road. The design hasn't even aged one-bit.

This new one doesn't evoke the same excitement in my heart that the older one did and still does. Looks apart, enough has been discussed here about the engines. I concur with what has been said. The less said about the petrol mill, the better.

This was a good opportunity for Honda to mate the 1.6L diesel with the CVT. Maybe they chose not to do it because they didn't have a CVT that could handle the torque from the 1.6? From what I know, Honda chose to detune the Amaze's 1.5L diesel in the CVT variant, considering long-term reliability of the transmission.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Honda will be using the R18Z1 Engine in the new Civic instead of the R18A. I read on some international forum that the VTEC principle for both the engines are a little different. Has anyone driven the Civic with the Z1 engine? If yes, then what's the difference between the A Series and Z1 in terms of performance?
Google is not very helpful in this case, however from some Honda fan sites it appears that the newer R18Z1 engine has a very slightly higher compression ratio of 10.6:1 compared to 10.5 of the R18A engine. Overall it's pretty much the same, including VTEC profiles.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:42   #130
Senior - BHPian

2019 Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Skoda Octavia vs Hyundai Elantra comparison by Rushlane

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-hondacivicvshyundaielantravstoyotacorollavsskodaoctavia1.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-hondacivicvshyundaielantravstoyotacorollavsskodaoctavia2.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-hondacivicvshyundaielantravstoyotacorollavsskodaoctaviaprice.jpg

http://https://www.rushlane.com/2019...-12297225.html
SnS_12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 15:30   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

As a current Civic owner (2006 S-AT) and one who has been waiting for the 2019 model, I am unsure if I will stick to my plan. Essentially what you get is the same engine (yeah they added 10bhp in 13 years), a CVT ( a type that kept me away from the City for many years) and features that are sure cool but not class leading.

And as GTO said, if Honda shows its greediness with the pricing they are sure to lose a die-hard Civic fan.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th February 2019 at 17:29. Reason: Punctuation.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:57   #132
Senior - BHPian

10th-gen Honda Civic launch on March 7, 2019. Bookings open

The tenth generation Honda Civic will be launched on March 7, 2019. The company has started accepting bookings for the car. The booking amount has been set at Rs. 31,000.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-civic_front-angular.jpg

The new Civic is based on the Honda compact global platform. It measures 4,656 mm in length, 1,799 mm in width, 1,433 mm in height. It has a wheelbase of 2,700 mm. The car has a chrome grille flanked by LED headlights that have L-shaped LED daytime running lights, dual-tone front bumper with chrome inserts and a pair of fog lamps. It has a coupe-like roof line with chrome window surrounds and dual-tone alloy wheels. At the rear, it gets C-shaped tail lamp clusters and a dual-tone bumper.

The Civic is likely to get dual-tone interiors with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The car could be offered with features such as dual-zone climate control, electric sunroof, adjustable driver's seat and rain sensing wipers among others

In India, the Civic will be offered with a 1.8-litre petrol engine mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and 1.6-litre diesel engine paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 21:45   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

If the CRV pricing is anything to go by, this will be approx Rs.22-28L ex-showroom, leading to approx prices of Rs.27-34 lakhs on-road, in Bangalore.

I decreased about 6 lakhs from the CRV prices, not sure if the Civic will be any cheaper. Definitely not the best value for money if not outright expensive but Honda has always relied on its comfortably sustainable fan-base for its sales and I'd say the Civic will have sales for the first couple of months for the novelty factor before big discounts are given. Lets all not forget that Honda is a fan-driven brand worldwide and most will buy at any given price. Same goes to Toyota.

The design is kinda different, definitely not your typical three-box sedan. Time will tell how it is inside, with the plastics, build quality, door shut etc, with this one though you definitely have to want to drive, rather than be chauffeured about, given the massive sloping roofline.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 02:49   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
More instant torque is a sweet recipe for rubber band effect in a CVT, heard of diesel engine de-tuning for Amaze CVT? The rubber band effect happens due the friction loss between the belt and the pulley. Since CVT employs a belt and pulley arrangement rather than gears, the friction between the belt and the pulley is the one which causes the forward or backward movement of the vehicle. In simple words, the rubber band effect can be described as ‘prolonged slip in a belt drive’. Also CVT is a gearless transmission in the real sense.

For an average user, if you drive the new Civic 1.5T or the CRV 1.5T you would see how seamlessly Honda have managed to mask the rubber band effect of the CVT. Compared to Nissans and Toyotas, Honda is far better with CVTs. Why Honda not getting the 1.5T to India is pure stupidity and greed in my opinion.

With all this cost cutting if Honda launches it >21 Lakhs for the top end versions, then it is going to be dead on arrival like CRV. They need to price it on par with Elantra if they want to have anything more than 100 units/month.

Last edited by AccordSport : 15th February 2019 at 02:53.
AccordSport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 04:28   #135
BHPian

Saw the New Honda Civic just outside the Bangalore airport today, I fell in love with that design, the car looks absolutely smashing in white! Tbh, the Civic loyalist in me wouldn't mind paying around 20 - 22 Lakhs for this machine even though it's an updated R18 engine under the hood, I wouldn't mind driving this for the next 10 years to come as Civic has always been the perfect urban dweller and this one would definitely be the same. My sole reason for buying the new Civic would be it's extremely different design which no other manufacturer has attempted in India yet. It doesn't looks like a sedan nor a hatch, it's unique and that's what I would like to be seen in driving around.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-img_20190214_124059.jpg
Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-img_20190214_124125.jpg
YashD is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks