Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 15:57   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

The 'facelift' Civic speculated to launch in early 2019, is now spied in Mumbai Airport.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-c3.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-c1.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-c2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The 'facelift' Civic speculated to launch in early 2019, is now spied in Mumbai Airport.
This looks like a marketing tactic to build some media hype around the Civic. Otherwise, it beats me as to why someone would take the fully camouflaged car to an airport which is in the heart of the city. If the car wasn't camouflaged, people would have probably ignored it thinking it is a City.
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Most desirable cars in this price range comes from Skoda with the bases firmly covered by the Octavia/Superb 1.8 TSI and the 2.0 TDI and their DSG and manual gear boxes. Honda will definitely price the Civic at a premium and shoot itself in the foot like it's done before with the Accord and CR-V.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 20:55   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Before Hyundai and VW attacked the market with their models of Vento, fluidic Verna, Jetta, fluidic Elantra, Tucson etc, Honda were sitting pretty high on the premium ladder. I know this because at a point of time we were interested in the 1st gen arrow-head City as well.. walked into the showroom and all we see were sales executives in blazers, tie and all snobby.

One of them claimed that the test-drive vehicle is not there and he'd bring one home (however he never asked the address and vanished while talking to other sales guys), his behavior clearly showed that even for the City they had ample sales to not bother, and that they were more focused on showing people the Civic, Accord and CR-V. Such snobbery I've not seen even in BMW or Audi, and full marks for Audi for being very customer friendly and easy to deal with.. no wonder they sell well in India even given the pricing point they are at.

When Hyundai and VW attacked full force with their premium line-up Honda collapsed before they could understand what was going on.. they shelved the Accord and CR-V first, the Civic was the 3rd to be shelved, then introduced the Brio and Amaze, and up-segmented the City half a notch in its 2nd iteration post the arrow-head design. I could see a marked difference in sales-force when re-visiting the same showroom when a colleague wanted to drive, they had shed the blazer, were more attentive and were vending cars like the Brio and Amaze.. a big fall.

With cut-throat competition, I can name at least 5 cars that are of better value or greater quality across segments compared to a Honda. Yes the City sells well at 17L on-road but if they take that as a benchmark and put the Civic at about 23-24L on-road for the top end, they are DOA. The Civic isn't even a proper executive sedan with great rear-legroom and there are only so many boy-racers and Honda fans.

My singular experience with Honda has put me off from them for good. Hyundai has been more than friendly/humble each time and I'd rather support them.The next one could be an Audi though.
dark.knight is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 01:18   #35
BHPian

According to inside information it is probable that Civic will have the same engine specifications as the the new CRV. 1.6-litre i-DTEC (120hp, 300 NM @ 2000 rpm) with nine-speed torque converter automatic transmission and the 2.0-litre i-VTEC petrol (154hp, 189Nm torque) paired with CVT. Training program is planned for next month.

Hope Honda will price the car reasonably.

Last edited by Mevtec : 10th January 2019 at 01:29.
Mevtec is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 16:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Launching in Feb-19, Honda Civic spotted testing in in Delhi NCR Region.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 21:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

A fools hope they price it well. I hope they learn from the success of the Amaze and the failure of the Accord that a well priced and well kitted product will sell and tug the strings of the buyers. The Civic brand name is close to the hearts of many including mine and am hoping it is reasonably priced.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

All-new 2019 Honda Civic India launch on 8th March.

Link

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th February 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Spacing
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 15:21   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Details of Honda Civic revealed:

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:
The new Honda Civic will be offered with a petrol engine – and unlike the last time around, will also have a diesel motor on offer. The petrol engine will be a 1.8-litre motor mated to either a 6-speed manual or CVT automatic gearbox. The petrol engine will make about 140hp. The diesel engine on the other hand will be the same 1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged unit that will make 120hp. The diesel engine, in all likelihood, will come with a manual gearbox option only and could miss out an automatic gearbox.
Quote:
The new 2019 Honda Civic will be priced around the Rs 15-20 lakh range

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd January 2019 at 15:34.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 15:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Details of Honda Civic revealed:

The petrol engine will be a 1.8-litre motor mated to either a 6-speed manual or CVT automatic gearbox. The petrol engine will make about 140hp.

Link
140 BHP? 140 BHP?? Sorry, but this doesn't cut it at all in this day with a segment full of 150+ BHP engines, and some with cutting edge TSI tech to develop 180 BHP power.

Wouldn't this make it probably the least powered car in this segment? Even the Elantra makes 150 BHP.

This engine was good a decade ago, but not today. This is hardly a 20-odd BHP jump from the City.

What is Honda smoking?

Last edited by Parth46 : 24th January 2019 at 15:22.
Parth46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 10:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Honda is probably betting on the diesel. The Civic died a natural death due to the petrol only version and probably is why the petrol version is getting a step motherly treatment. Even Toyota bets on it's diesel engines. Anyways I wished they had brought the turbo engine instead but there have been reports of some issues with same on some forums. The saving grace is the old petrol engine is mated to a new 6 speed tranny.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 12:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Honda is probably betting on the diesel. The Civic died a natural death due to the petrol only version and probably is why the petrol version is getting a step motherly treatment. Even Toyota bets on it's diesel engines. Anyways I wished they had brought the turbo engine instead but there have been reports of some issues with same on some forums. The saving grace is the old petrol engine is mated to a new 6 speed tranny.
Honda is constantly way behind the wave for the last 10 years. Just as the diesel engine is on the way out and petrol is king, they have brought in this 140 bhp engine. When they should have got in their diesel 10 years back for the Accord, Civic and CRV, they warmed their seats. Unbelievable!
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 13:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Honda is constantly way behind the wave for the last 10 years. Just as the diesel engine is on the way out and petrol is king, they have brought in this 140 bhp engine. When they should have got in their diesel 10 years back for the Accord, Civic and CRV, they warmed their seats. Unbelievable!
Yup Honda has lost it's way in India and they are definitely fumbling around. With products like the Brio/Amaze having budget interiors when they were introduced, the weird Mobilio they are definitely not on the track. Let's hope they get their acts together by the time the new emission norms sets in and they are forced to upgrade all their engines.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Has the petrol engine been confirmed? Do we get the 1.8 or 2.0? I'm in the market, seeking a replacement for my Civic. I would love to continue the love affair if it's a worthy upgrade.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 10:21   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Has the petrol engine been confirmed? Do we get the 1.8 or 2.0?
Please wait until February third weekend. We will have a definitive answer by then.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks