Team-BHP - Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/204395-did-you-ever-sell-car-reasons-other-than-upgrade-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4505543)
Have you ever sold your car off for reasons other than an upgrade?

Sold my '74 Beetle in NYC ('84) after just a few months of ownership because parking charges for the car exceeded the rent I was paying for the apartment (and NYC has pretty decent public transport system).

Several years later ('89) sold my '85 325iX (BMW) and '87 Sentra (Nissan) as I moved from NYS to LA and wanted to travel light. I expected to be in LA for 2 weeks. I ended up staying much longer and bought a used '86 Skylark (Buick) to get to work and a '74 Spitfire (Triumph) for weekends.

Sold the Buick and left the Spitfire with a friend because I moved again.

I did not own another car till I returned to India.

Yes we sold our 2001 5 Speed M800 when KWID joined the stable and Dad was not able to manage three cars at a time. It was eating too much space of the courtyard too.

I sold my swift so that I could use more of my other car, as I noticed that after buying a second car I barely used my first one.

Thus to ensure that I do justice to the usage of the cars I sold the other.

I sold my Hyundai Xcent 2014 in year 2017 and changed it with a TATA Tigor AMT.

Reasons:

1) It was on company lease and lease period had expired. It make sense to continue with lease for the tax benefits on EMI/maintanance/insurance.

2) Needed to move to an AT (even if its AMT) - got bored of manual transmission (infact more frustrated than bored in day to day city driving maual gearbox).

3) My Xcent didn't have ABS+Airbags which are basic features and it always was in the back of my mind to change my car to one having atleast these basic safety features.

4) Cost of Hyundai's A.S.S frustrated me to no end. Routine paid services used to cast upwards of 8-9k that too when you consider its a compact sedan based on a hatchback.

So if you see reasons above, my change of car was not really an upgrade in real sense, but a combination of factors other than upgrade.

Sold my Honda Brio due to constant back aches from the poor driving position. (I am 6'1") I had to undergo a month of physiotherapy due to back aches from driving it in Bangalore traffic. Never realised this issue when buying it as a short test drive wasn't enough to figure this out.

We sold our Premier Padmini in 2002, as there were no requirement for two cars. So after we sold the Padmini the Fiat Uno was the only car in our house in Kolkata till 2011.

In 2011, i sold my Alto in Bangalore because i was relocating back to Kolkata.

In 2013, we downgraded from Fiat Uno to Alto K10 as acquiring spare parts for the Uno was getting difficult & reliability issues started to crop up. Instead of upgrading we chose the K10 because our primary car was the Etios.

In 2015, we again sold the Alto K10 and bought a Figo Diesel, just because my dad was not liking the K10 as a replacement for the Uno!

2000 - Had Maruti 800 as family car and learnt a lot of driving. Wanted better space.
2003 - Indica XETA - Awesome space, but had hard time driving . Wanted better engine response.
2007 - Moved to Swift D till 2011. Got good resale also. Wanted larger vehicle.
2011 - Moved on to Scorpio and had blast of long drives crossing different states in South India
2013 - Had personal finance issue. Downgraded to Fiat Punto used car
2017 - Sold Fiat Punto and again bought Fiat Punto used car. wanted same Fiat quality
2018 - Holding on to Fiat Punto still

Yes. And no.

Sold Swift and bought SX4.
Sold SX4 and bought City.
Sold i10 and bought DZire.

We a family of 3 and now the 2nd car feels redundant.

In extended family with parents, it's a no.

Sold DZire and bought Ciaz.
Sold Civic and bought Altis.

Sold my Nano when I moved to GGN. Couldn't take both cars and couldn't keep one idling here.

2005 - Had Maruti 800 as my first car bought in 2001. It was a wonderful city car. However, it always gave us a jolt when a bigger heavier vehicle passes us on highways. Wanted a car that can support safer highway drives and hence sold to a dealer and bought myself a Santro Xing which was what I could afford at that time.

2009 - Santro was a wonderful city car and had no troubles with it driving occasionally on highways. That was when I had become addicted to team bhp and saw some discussions about Fiat Punto. Googled about fiat Punto and fell in love with it. I was waiting for the launch from the beginning of 2009. Finally when launched in July, GTO's review and first few Punto owners review about the highway stability of the Punto drove me to buy it in October 2009. Sold off the Santro to my wife's classmate who are still holding on to it and going good.

Current - 2009 Punto 1.3 MJD - 91K kms in odo and going strong
Preworshipped 2011 Linea TJet - 73K Kms on the odo. Yet to be tested on the highway

I sold my brand new (about a month) Civic in 2010 after realizing the manual transmission was not for me stupid:

Sold it and bought an auto immediately which is with me to this day.

Cheers

3 letters came to my mind straightaway - NGT.

Yes we sold our Innova 2 years back for the same reason and looking to sell the Altis now for the same reason too.

We have recently sold our 5 year old TATA Telcoline crewcab 4WD as first owner due to lack of availability of spare parts and also the power steering mechanism was posing problems.

Our 2004 Tata Indigo 1.4 GLX was sold on January last year to a local buyer. Now, the car wasn't sold because no one in our family wanted it or because we were bored by it. She was one vehicle that had a very special place in my dad's heart, and for that reason only this car remained in our family for 13 years (usually cars in my home are sold off at 5 years, by which time they cross 1L on the ODO).

There were two main reasons why the car was sold off :

1) Lack of parking space : There were already two cars around the time at which she was sold. The 110 Duster was used by dad for his personal runs and the family highway trips and us the sons had the M800 AC, which was used mainly for short distances. These two cars did their duties very well. In between these two, the Indigo didn't find a suitable place and parking a car in the open courtyard wasn't an option.

2) It was a Tata : The car was heavy on the pocket since day 1. As I've mentioned earlier, our cars are kept only for 5 years or so, during that time they complete 1L on the ODO and are sold off. The Indigo was different though, in her course of 13 years, she only did 70k. That's less than half. Primarily because of the low FE her wheels didn't get to rotate as much as our other cars did.

The car was sold off last year for less than lakh, and we didn't replace her with another sedan. But she is with a family that lives just a few kilometres away from our home and I do get to see her on regular basis.

My first car, the Ikon 1.6 Zxi was an ex-MH car that had its ODO rolled back and a dodgy set of papers. The car was also notoriously unreliable. I was too young and got conned. My mom insisted on selling it and I was not willing to selling it unscrupulously to a 3rd party. My friend who knew the issue offered a very low price, paid half and fled. So much for him. Last I heard, that car was sold for parts. That was an expensive lesson and was car less for 9 months.

The 2nd car, the Ritz Vdi ABS was again sold on mom's insistence. The car was bought new as mom banned all pre-owned cars in the house-hold. After 5.5 years of faithful service and at 136k on the ODO, she was pestering me to sell it. She claimed that the car has too much mileage to be used reliably on the highway. I had to let go of this car with a heavy heart.