Team-BHP - Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/204395-did-you-ever-sell-car-reasons-other-than-upgrade-5.html)

I’ve had an adventurous journey in my Car ownership years; also reflects in the way I was then & how I am today (read as progressively more sorted lol:)

2005-2007 – Maruti 800 – first car & boy it was lovely – sold as thought of upgrading to something more modern

2007-2007 – Wagon – R – had to sell it in 6 month; was conned in use car market royally; ended up paying as much as the purchase price to maintain it – Was early days in car scene & was introduced to this Biblical Forum of cars after the fiasco.

2007 -2009 – Bought the best car I owned till date – Palio purchased from a fellow Bhpian – had to sell it in couple of years as it became increasingly painful to maintain it mechanically – it was fitted with LPG didn’t help the matter either

2009-20011 – Accent – Enjoyed driving this car & sold it for no particular reason – just the itch to buy something else & always thought something was missing after driving palio for a couple of years.

2011 – 2015 – Getz – Wanted something closer to Palio in terms of dynamics; also my journey to keep cars in better shape & keep longer started with this car. Sold it as there was an itch to get a sense of how a brand new car smells & sold Getz to a colleague who still has it & is in top condition.

2015 -2017 – New Figo – There were no plans to sell it but changes on work front meant it would lie idle in Mumbai for very long periods & I really didn’t wanted this to happen to the beauty. A very close friend took it & the car is in neighborhood – I still take it for spin whenever I wish

2018 (Current ride) – WRV – Work thing settled , returned to Mumbai but interestingly , wanted to take some break from car ownership for sometime (always had brother’s car at disposal & another friends Nexon which is with me most of the time anyways; 1 Key is always with me). Main reason to take this was Company’s Lease plan benefits; also how long can a BHPian be on Car diet. This one isn’t going anywhere soon for sure.

Out of all the cars I’ve owned; only major regret has been parting with Palio; how I wished it stayed with me longer.

Yes, parking space is another upcoming issue at least in Bangalore. I have one covered parking space. My apartment is on a busy road with no option of parking it outside. It will cause traffic block if parked outside and will get towed away. When we got our second car, we had to rent a parking slot from our neighbours. However, I have no idea of what to do if they decide to take the parking spot back.
Most of the 10+ year old apartments are having this issue as 10 years back not many middle class families thought of having two cars and hence, would have bought only one parking space when buying their flat.

I have a friend who sold his car due to superstition. He had a car which met with few minor accidents. His parents convinced him that according to his horroscope he shouldn't be using a black car and that was the root cause. He sold the well maintained car without even considering an immediate replacement.

In our early car owning years the cause of a sale was always a replacement. The first Fiat was replaced by the Padmini. The Maruti 800 came and replaced the Padmini. Then came the Second Maruti 800 that JOINED and did not replace the 800. Because by then there was a strong case for a beater car and a sparingly used car for occasions. Then came the First Zen which resulted in a farewell to the first 800. In this fashion we ran through 3 more Zens (none estilo). And the pattern was always the same use a car for 10 years (we don’t rack up too many miles) and replace with a new upgraded one. With better built cars however the case for selling to replace is becoming weaker. And therefore I’m probably faced with a should sell other than to replace a worn out car for the first time. My i10’s 10 years and a few months old and has done about 80k but it’s such a competent little car that there’s very little incentive or value in replacing it except the itch to replace it with something new and possible an automatic. Likewise the city’s about 7 years old but it’s such a brilliant fit for my needs that while I occasionally think of changing it for something new the bug isn’t strong enough (also helped in part by recent posts on drastically falling Honda quality).My C class I’ve been thinking I should upgrade but then with the ridiculous prices the Germans throw at your where’s the value motivation for the replacement move. Ergo to answer the question do you ever sell a car for reasons other than upgrade: I’m headed towards a I don’t feel like selling at all. ��

I do not have a personal story to tell but i remember a bhpian doing this around 2009. He upgraded from ford ikon to Verna. Within a few days, He would go back to ASS multiple times to report about car being not stable on highways. He simply did not feel secure with the steering. He sold it somone in just a couple of 1000 kms to someone else through dealership. Classic case of buying without a TD. Since i had a verna then, i knew what he was upto.

Well I want to sell off my rusted lemon of a Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX but that is my only car and right now seeing the prices of new cars I just don't have the Vitamin-M to get a replacement. Just want to sell it off because

1. Has 1,25,000kms on the clock though the clock itself shows 50,000 thanks to a great gentleman who sold me the car
2. Rust is everywhere (being a Mumbai car) and was so beautifully hidden at the time of sale (maybe with metallic nail polish, I am not sure) but now with repeated and regular washing, all the spots of rust are visible and very worrying
3. Keeps bottoming out on speed breakers around the city and again due to point-2 I worry one day it will just break into 2 pieces

Also, I would never want again to venture into the used-car market unless it is from TrueValue or other such certified brands as this Verna has burnt my hands and my pockets enough already

Waiting now to see the launch price of the 2019 WagonR ... was waiting for the Ertiga but MS raised prices quite a bit putting it beyond reach

Quote:

Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 (Post 4509642)

1. Has 1,25,000kms on the clock though the clock itself shows 50,000 thanks to a great gentleman who sold me the car
2. Rust is everywhere (being a Mumbai car) and was so beautifully hidden at the time of sale (maybe with metallic nail polish, I am not sure) but now with repeated and regular washing, all the spots of rust are visible and very worrying

Also, I would never want again to venture into the used-car market unless it is from TrueValue or other such certified brands as this Verna has burnt my hands and my pockets enough already

Slightly off topic but did you buy this from a direct owner or a dealer. If it was from a dealer worth sharing his complete details here so that the community is forewarned and does not deal with him. He is clearly a brazen cheat.

I sold my Verna because driving a manual in the traffic was getting to me. Plus I did not like the way I had to be careful over every bump because of it low slung nature.

I sold my Kwid after it got a zero star safety rating. No more tin cans for us. Even my wife drives our Hexa now.

I drove a SX4 for about 5 years and 40,000 kms. I sold it off for the maasive A Pillar blind spot. I had a lot of near misses and even hit a vehicle once having never seen emerge from the blind spot.

Couldn't take it anymore after 5 years.

I still remember the day we sold our pre-owned Swift Petrol 2005 hurry burry (sold it in 2012) because the demand for petrol vehicles were dropping drastically due the rise in crude oil.

Later we financed a used car seller and got to drive numerous cars ranging from Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Verna, Skoda Octavia, Maruti Esteem and finally settled in for a brand new 2014 Volkswagen Polo Diesel 1.5TDi. Happy ever since.

Gave away my 12 year old Zen VXi since the NGT wasn't too kind on people having 10+ year old cars in Delhi.
I was simply not able to part ways with it (sell it) and hence gave it to someone in the family who treasures it till date and has maintained it to the hilt.

Done it twice now -
1. In 2005, Honda Civic - moved to Delhi, and NCR refused to transfer the registration, citing BSIV compliance. Couldn't continue to drive on MH number plates, so had to sell it.
2. Recently, in 2018- sold my Beemer F10 (520d) - still hearbroken - after the water flooding in Mumbai - though I did not have major ingress, (the car had stalled in ankle deep water) - did not want to take a risk with no warranty.

Sold my Hyundai Accent with retrofitted CNG kit in 2016 so as to avoid waiting in long queues of CNG station every alternate day.
Over the course, I understood that the financial saving it gave me was a trade-off with the limited leisure time I had.

Sold off my Maruti Zen 2002 LX MPFI model, which I had purchased used in 2012 in 2017, primarily because of less use and also the 15 yr annivesary was approaching and hence I would have needed to do a fitness test done. Did not cost much by way of depreciation :)

Gave away Dad's MS Swift VXI just because it was old and Dad wanted a new car. This car was in good condition. There wasn't any major reason to get rid of it. However, We bought a WRV petrol after it. So, technically its an upgrade.

Related thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...edit-wr-v.html

We sold(exchanged) our 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Tdci last month because Honorable Supreme Court told us to do so. The car was still going strong even after 1.5 L on the odo. It was a hard decision but papers were full of news regarding impounding 10 year old Diesel vehicles in NCR. Wish I could buy back it as a new car.stupid: