Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 10:08   #91

Re: Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?

I sold my 6.5Yrs old Ritz VXi very recently due to parking issue in my apartment complex, we recently bought Kwid (auto) for my wife and due to which we didn't get a place for the second car. Though we were reluctant in selling our beloved Ritz we still sold halfheartedly ..
harsha8253 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 10:31   #92

In 2009, I sold my 7 year old indica as I started spending more time with my mechanic and my wife started thinking I was having an affair with him.
kiranton is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 12:14   #93

We sold our beloved Hyundai Getz back in 2014. With a punchy 1.4L engine and beautiful looks and dynamics, the car served us well for over 8 years. We had to let it go due to lack of parking space. Still remember the rush driving it.
Lone_Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 14:32   #94
BHPian

Apparently, Karnataka ex-CM Siddaramaiah sold his Fortuner when a crow sat on his car and refused to fly off even after being shooed away by the staff.

Source
anshumandun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:22   #95
BHPian

Just sold off my -

1. Accord v6
2. Zen

For the following reasons-

1. Zen was over 15 years old. Didn't want the headache of getting green passing done. Although in working condition, sold it in scrap.

2. Accord v6 was not being used much. Unnecessarily keeping a depreciating liability without any use, was the reason I sold it off.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 08:12   #96
BHPian

Yes!198x Ambassador.

If i recall correctly it was from Delhi and was bought as an used vehicle in Vizag around 1997. Had a junk petrol engine in it initially. The whole vehicle had to be rebuilt after few months and a diesel engine was put in. Again used one, probably a trekker engine.
I remember my childhood memories full of disgust on that vehicle. Never had a happy time with it. Frequently stranded on the road, refused to start in the mornings , expensive repairs and put a huge hole in the family's meagre finances at that time. The proverbial white elephant parked outside the house.
We were going on NH5 once and heard a huge blast and the car refused to start after that. Turned out that the piston broke amd got jammed in the engine if I remember right. My dad came home that night without the car and we never saw it again, could not have been more happier.
Rumour was that He paid someone to buy the car from Him. Ha!
Old 12th December 2018, 10:40   #97
Team-BHP Support

I sold off my 2011 Scorpio MHAwk after 1.5 years of owing it as I was emigrating. Had some great trips in it, and made the most of the price difference in fuels. Served me really well in the limited time I owned it, and I let go of it with a heavy heart.

Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?-scorp.jpg

Ownership thread (Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!)

Besides that, I have only sold my Corolla when getting the Pajero, which is an upgrade.
Looks like I don't change cars as often as others on this thread.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:10   #98
BHPian

Couple of years back my parents (who live in a different location than us) sold their 5 year old SX4 which had run just 3K Kms. The answer is obvious in this statistic. Barely any running. After retirement dad decided to buy a new car but had lost his driving skills as he had relied heavily on office cars for over 3 decades. He suddenly found driving too stressful and traffic too intimidating. The car was sold to a relative of a very close family friend so fetched a fair price.
Old 12th December 2018, 21:07   #99
BHPian

I sold off two cars -
1. Maruti 800 1995 model with AC (old gas quality ? R22) ~ 80,000 km in September 2017 unleaded fuel variant with carburetor and catalytic converter et al, and
2. Maruti Swift Diesel 2007 Model ~ 2,25,000 km in May 2018.

Condition at time of sale: both cars pristine perfect, rattle free.
Maruti 800 had been completely done up in early 2016 (excluding engine) giving average of 15 kmpl.
Swift was giving me 18 kmpl in Delhi traffic with all systems functional. Bumpers intact.
Both cars had valid emission certificates at time of sale.
Reason: Maruti 800 was not re-registered as NGT had banned the same (more than 15 years old). Given to scrap dealer who was absolutely dismayed that such a perfect vehicle had to be cut up.
Maruti Swift went away for the same reason (although I could have probably continued using it as the tax paid was for 15 years). I could have persisted but got a price of 1.75 Lakhs so I let it go. Have not been happy since.

I have been trying to source literature on incremental or otherwise carbon foot print (environmental impact) of manufacturing a new car versus continuing use of old car (provided it continues to meet emission norms of the period it was manufactured).
There is likely to be a point where the environmental impact of manufacturing a new car plus recycling of the older car intersects the environmental impact for continued use of an older generation car.
It would require a rigorous academic exercise;may be some one is inclined to carry it out.
The two cars have been replaced by petrol cars: Maruti Alto K10 and Toyota Etios.
dgoyle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 05:13   #100
BHPian

Sold off two cars in one go in Jan 2015

Cars
a)Skoda Laura L&K 2008 ~ 1.3L Kms done
b)Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion 2009 ~ 85K Kms done

Reason for Sale
1. Needed to pay off the home-loan.
2. Wanted to buy something more practical for daily use with Pune traffic getting worse by the minute.

Leveled the home loan by June 2015, saved some cash + sold off my Duke 390 and bought a Triumph Street Triple in Jan 2016, which I happily ride to work each day.

I have been without a car for the longest period in my life. It will be 3 years next month and in all honesty whenever we needed a car an Ola/Uber ride never disappointed to date.

However, keeping in mind the practicality vs wifeys constant eyeballing the New Swift; sooner or later I may have to budge and go buy the New Swift.

P.S: As my wife says, "I'm carless"
Old 13th December 2018, 07:24   #101
BHPian

Yes, due to the NGT doctrine, we will be forced to offload our wagonR by October 2019.
Old 13th December 2018, 07:59   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inreverse View Post
a)Skoda Laura L&K 2008 ~ 1.3L Kms done
b)Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion 2009 ~ 85K Kms done.

However, keeping in mind the practicality vs wifeys constant eyeballing the New Swift; sooner or later I may have to budge and go buy the New Swift.

P.S: As my wife says, "I'm carless"
I am surprised that you are a carless guy for three years, that too after owning two great cars. Then the last paragraph in your comment surprised me even more. Don’t be so ‘careless’ to ignore the fact that ‘the new Swift structure was rated unstable in crash tests’. Being the ‘enlighted’ ones (as we call ourselves) among the humans out there, being carless is always better than some one calling us ‘hopeless’. The change would start with bhpians, I hope.

Last edited by pavi : 13th December 2018 at 08:01.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 09:22   #103
BHPian

We sold our good old Indigo (the last face lift before Manza) in 2015 after driving her for 8 years 163 thousand kilometres. Then we got a petrol Altis at the 2016 end.

In our 8 years of ownership, I had driven this car for around 1 lac kilometres and thereafter we gave it to our cousin who did the rest in just less than a year. An interesting memory with this car was that I had never sat as a passenger in the entire running of this car

After I sold the Indigo, she traded two more hands and is now with a doctor who resides very near to our house. The same dark grey colour in the same pristine condition. No scratches, swirls on it. I did not know who owned it in between this doctor and me, but I have given my maintenance chart, name of vendors who supply all its parts, oils to be used in the car and some tips to the doctor. The reading is now beyond 2.2 lac. She still holds well and drives well. I still don't know why we sold her.

For the record, driving this 69 horse Indigo used to take a shade over 6 hours for me to do a 400 km Jalgaon - Dombivli trip. The current 140 horse Altis takes over 9 hours. Either I have not been able to connect with the Altis, or I am unable to disconnect from the Indigo or I have grown old
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:39   #104
BHPian

The last couple of years have not been a kind towards our cars. Though we usually sell off our cars within its first 3yrs, the rate of recent change has been usual and its reasons, quite depressing. Let me summarize it below without going overboard.

1> 1st gen Figo Titanium - Sold within the 1st year

Had a bad accident near Davanagere, while returning from Goa. The front left tyre burst while I was doing ~120Kmph. The car lost control, hit 2 large trucks from both sides and by God's grace, managed to stop millimeters away from a very deep trench. Only me and my wife were traveling in the car and both of us managed to get out without a single scratch. We got the car repaired and sold it to upgrade to a Rapid.

2> Last Gen SX4 ZDI Diesel - Sold within the 2nd year

Dad had a stiff neck and had difficulty in driving manuals. Doc had ordered for complete rest after the surgery. I felt he needed a small auto, therefore the SX4 had to go

3> Celerio AMT - Sold within 9 months

Dad being a Maruti man, wanted nothing but a Maruti. In fact, he got all his cars from the same dealership. He was invited to unveil the new Celerio and go the first delivery as well. He immediately felt it was a bad "upgrade" and sold it within 9 months.

4> Skoda Rapid Elegance - Sold within 2 yrs

The car was in excellent condition. I wanted to hold on to my Dad's Swift Dzire, and not maintain two cars, therefore, sold this car.

5> Swift Dzire ZDI AMT - Sold within 2.5yrs (Incidentally, yesterday)

If any car can be called a bad omen, this is it.

During its first week, while applying front sunfilm, the technician inadvertently spilled water on the dashboard and it somehow got into the Car's ECU. The car did not start and had to be towed to the service center. 2 days later and a goodwill waiver, we received the car. 2 weeks later while the car was parked in front of our house, a Kid (not kidding) driving a big water tanker at high speed in reverse lost control and hit the directly from the rear right diagonal angle. Two doors, rear boot and bumper, major rear pillar repair and suspension replacement were done. As a family we thought that its too soon to sell a car and held on it it. Few months later, when I was preparing to relocate to US, my Father passed away in his sleep and our world fell apart. I held onto his car and sold mine (as mentioned above). During the last 2yrs, Two other doors were repainted as an over speeding two wheeler lost control and hit the doors. Rear bumper was replaced as a drunk driver driving a Fortuner hit it from the back. Front bumper was replaced as the car didn't brake when applied and hit the car in the front (In fact, I replaced his back bumper as well).

Two months ago, I was driving to our family Temple near Hassan with my Mom and in one of the roads, the car lost control, did a 360 and fell into a gutter. This while I was doing ~60Kmph. Later I got to know that there was oil spilled on the road, which led to this. Thankfully both my Mom and me were wearing seat belts and got out without a single scratch. Rear, axle, suspension bumper and boot door was replaced. A week later, my new front left Tyre was replaced due to a large cut from an unscientific footpath.

To make the car feel good, and not to sell my Dad's last car, I had made many mods to it. Added a better sound system, got it completely insulated, multiple rounds of waxing, new set of Tyres etc. etc.

Both my Mom and wife were of the firm opinion to sell the car immediately and refused to travel in it. We received good offers from our extended family and my co-workers but refused to sell it due it its history. We also did not expect good offers for the car. Few days ago, I went into a used car dealership, shared all the repair/ replacement information and asked him to give a quote. He quoted 35% of its original value and I sold it within a heartbeat. Period.

We are taking delivery of my new car today - a Honda Jazz VX CVT in Pearl White. I am hoping (and praying) for a car that I will hold on to for a long, long time.
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 14:47   #105
BHPian

My family might go the other way

The first car was a '98 M800, which is still around, with a grand sum of 40000 km on the odo. Now this little runabout carried my 6ft plus hefty frame and 5 other people packed into it for the longest time. We have some awesome memories with it, and my dad just cannot let go. Currently is a beater, which gets polished every 15 days

Around the time my folks realised that my then wife-to-be clocked in some serious inches height-wise, an Etios Liva was acquired. The poor dear has run up around 8000km over the last 7.5 years now. Doesn't look like she is going anywhere, anytime soon either!

My Hexa has managed 9000km in the 4 months that we have had her, which my father is genuinely astounded about.

However, I did sell my Honda Eterno to the kabadi shop down the road, when spare part availability became a nightmare last year.

Last edited by thedragonreborn : 13th December 2018 at 14:49. Reason: Horrid grammar!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks