Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:29   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?

Have you ever sold your car off for reasons other than an upgrade? Most people sell their car only when they want to replace it with another new / used car.

Just heard of someone who sold his 2nd car because he didn't want to continue paying to park it (society bill). Says that his 1st car is enough for the work & family duties, and if a 2nd car is needed, there is always Uber & Ola.

I remember getting rid of our Premier 137D & not replacing it with another car. There were already enough in the house & we sold it as it had completely worn out.

I know of a BHPian who sold his CJ340 in the 90s because he wanted the money for a downpayment toward his new house then. He told me he regretted it.

And there was also a post on Team-BHP about selling off a Xylo (or was it an Enjoy?) because the owner hated the car. It just wasn't for him.

My Dad sold his W111 Benz because he was too busy at work & had no time to maintain it. In the tightly controlled India of the 80s, spare part availability was scarce. Dad used to ask my uncle in Germany to carry along wiper blades!!!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2018 at 17:10.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

We sold an old Zen. It was almost 10 years old and except the engine everything else was falling apart. Parts were no longer available and it became an issue trying to maintain it. It was practically falling apart. The AC louvers were not working, the power windows were finicky, lot of rattles which could not be fixed. Same happened with an Esteem 1.3 that we also sold after 10 years. No matter how much you maintain the body shell and interiors just fall apart. Perhaps this is a Maruti thing.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Re: Did you ever sell a car for reasons other than an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have you ever sold your car off for reasons other than an upgrade? Most people sell their car only when they want to replace it with another new / used car.
All the cars that our family owned were sold just before / after a replacement for the same was bought. We have traditionally owned a sedan (for highway plus city duties) and a hatchback (strictly for city duties), and whenever one of them reaches 10 years, we replace them. Our Honda City will complete 10 years in March 2019, and we will be looking for a replacement on an immediate basis.

Quote:
And there was also a post on Team-BHP about selling off a Xylo (or was it an Enjoy?) because the owner hated the car. It just wasn't for him.
Slightly OT, but I was reminded of this thread when I read about the owner hating his car .

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-now-what.html
nikipedia87 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes - multiple occasions in the last couple of years alone:

1. I sold my Gurkha and downgraded to a Scorpio 4WD, with which I barely managed to live for 3 years. This sale I still regret, although NGT wouldn't have left me with any options either!

2. I sold the Scorpio 4WD and did not replace it.

3. I sold our beloved Ecosport AT yesterday, as it had been replaced with a Nexon AMT, purely for a financial benefit. Cheaper car, with a net positive on lease rental benefits.

Last edited by roy_libran : 3rd December 2018 at 14:06.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Back in 2011, dad sold off our only car, a M800 4-speed after 13 years and 82k kms due to the lack of any use. During those 13 years, he contemplated upgrading to a better car but never saw value or need for it. During last 3 years before selling it, its running had reduced to a few hundred kms per year. The maintenance was in 4-5 digit figures every year due to lack of use and he wanted to maintain in perfect shape. Slowly it didn't make sense to keep it as a beater car and was sold off, in perfect shape.

Till date there has been no replacement for it.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd December 2018 at 13:50.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

I sold my old Ford Ikon after 10 years because it was sparingly used; mom and dad hardly take it out and that 1.6 motor had way too much of idle time.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:03   #7
BHPian

I had to sell off my Maruti 800 and buy an old FIAT after the Harshad Mehta Scam in 1992 and yours truly was a new and excited entrant into the market hoping to upgrade to an Esteem through that route.

I can laugh about it now but that was tough times.
nkghai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2005 model Scorpio will be scrapped in another 14months or so as it completes 15 years. NGT rules in NCR prohibit sale/transfer of old diesel vehicles. The thing has served us very well over so many years and will ultimately have to be put down.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I know of friends who actually downgraded from bulky SUV to smaller car(s) for city centric usage.

I upgraded from Swift to Ertiga due to more space inside, however I can also call this a switch from Petrol to Diesel due to my high running.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sold the Spark recently. In our case, we had 3 cars, 1 scooter and 1 cycle for 3 members in the house. The WagonR has a driver, but at times we use it for personal use as well. Mom doesn't drive and dad prefers Uber when going to work. I take the bus.

Though it would have been a different scenario if that was a diesel vehicles, but combined with the low use thanks to increasing fuel prices and traffic in the city, we sold it off.
blackwasp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have 2 cases:
1. Sold the Honda Civic because it was literally falling apart. I blame myself for this though, it was sheer bad luck the firewall has corroded/rusted and was letting water in the cabin during the monsoons. I got it fixed and am sure it is doing fine now. Other reason was the suspension, the rear was hopeless. Despite installing coil spring adjustors the rear would wallow and bottom out. Though the engine and gearbox combo was a joy, I had lost all confidence in the car.
2. Post the Civic came the Punto, great car but with messed up ergonomics. Had great memories, but my work related travels meant the car was used more by my brother than me. It would spend long stretches of time sitting idle. In the 4 years I had, the car had done only around 24K KMS, majorly by my brother. So thought, it's best I let it go. Fortunately, the car found a loving owner in May/June 2016. He was the first person to see the car and bought it at a price that suited both of us. He saw the ad on OLX and came all the way from Pune.

I am slated to get back in May, and have booked the Harrier. Let's see how that unfolds.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 3rd December 2018 at 14:27.
hiren.mistry is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sold the Mazda 626 to my roommate when I left USA for the first time in 2009.

Sold the Mazda Protege via craigslist when I left USA for the second time in 2013.

Dad sold his (10 yrs old) M800 in 2010 when I traveled to USA as my (then) almost new i10 was there & maintaining 2 cars with his transferable job made no sense.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

We certainly have sold cars just because it was time to get a more modern one. But we have sold cars for plenty of other reasons.
The number of kids and friends that need transporting to/from school and various hobbies/sports has initiated a few upgrades in the past.

We have lived abroad, in various countries for extended periods of time. That always meant, by the end of our stay whatever cars (and in India Motorbike) we owned, had to be sold. Only once did I bring a car home with me. That was our 2002 Jaguar XJR, we bought in Kansas City and shipped to our home country the Netherlands, whilst we went to India.

We have also sold our car because of a bad crash. So a technical and or economic total loss.

Although I am very happy fiddling with my cars, my wife tends to be a little less enthusiastic. She just wants a car that works. So if a car gives her a few problems, out it goes! Although we have been married for almost 35 years, she still does not trust my car fixing abilities. Cars just should not break down. When they do, get a new one!

I remember once, many years ago. The kids were still small. We had a very nice Volv0 340 at the time. But twice it coinked out on her. The second time it was on the motorway, with the three kids with her, in the pouring rain. She called a taxi and got the whole family safely home. Then she called me at work and told me in no uncertain times that she would never ever drive that car again. In fact, I was specifically instructed not to bring it home, but to get rid of it immediately and get her another car.

It works slightly different with company cars. Because in Europe these are typically leased. At the end of a lease contract you simply order a new one.
But if you change employer you might be able to hand in your old company car and get a brand new one.

Of course, I have owned a lot of hobby/classic cars. I sold them for a variety of reason. Not enough storage space, so one had to go, before I bought the next one. I have owned some cars, just a few weeks or months. Just because for a variety of reasons I wanted to own it. And then just sold it on after having fixed it up a bit, usually.

I have bought the odd car, I thought I could fix and I just could not. So out it went!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd December 2018 at 14:38.
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

Upfront note: Based on some of the posts, I am interpreting this thread to also mean when cars were replaced with downgraded alternatives as opposed to an upgrade - or basically for any reasons that are not for simply upgrading the vehicle.

Interesting thread. Several times - lets see now:

1. Around 2008 / 09 (can't recall exactly) we had bought a 6 - 7 year old Gen 1 Manual Accord. It turned out to be a bit of a liability as well as guzzler. We ultimately sold it in 2010 for a less than 1 year / 10k kms used Honda City A/T - technically a downgrade vehicle to the Accord, but since it was newer and totally reliable. [Good decision]

2. About a year or more into the 2015 GT purchase (we sold the Sunny when we bought it, which was the newest car in the garage and still got sold to make way for the beemer), our garage comprised of the BMW GT, Civic A/T and City A/T. At that point we finally sold the 7/7.5 year old Civic without buying anything - we decided two cars were all we needed in the house. [Good decision - we managed and still manage just fine with a two car garage. Our third car park though houses a smashing huge new ADV bike so best use of the extra parking slot too ].

PS: Strictly speaking the ~ 3 lakh I got for the Civic is still in a separate earmarked FD for whenever I want to buy a kickass Tri bike. So wheels for wheels, it will be the ultimate downgrade substitution - petrol sedan sale funds all or part of a bicycle - lol.

3. This year we replaced our 9.5 year old 1.06 lakh km run City A/T for a brand new i10 A/T - another technically downgrade decision. The desire was to buy a newer car as well as a much smaller car since my 73 year old mum wanted to resume driving a lot more than she was doing with the City in the last few years. Size (as small as possible) was the paramount consideration for her.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

My case might be unique...

Bought a pre-worshiped Jetta in May 2017. Drove for around 9K KM in a year and sold it off in Jun 2018.

The reason? - Clutch. Learnt the hard way I would say. VW cars have clutch which are pretty heavy + long travel. My daily commute of 50 mins in dense traffic did not help either.

I still love a manual car and might buy *only if* it has light clutch. My earlier car - Punto post its clutch change was so heavenly to drive when compared to Jetta.
neoonwheels is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks