Audi Q5 10 0.51%
Lexus ES 300h 29 1.48%
Voters: 1964. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 18:32   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Honestly - I don’t feel like voting this year due to lack of contenders like GTO said. Super draught hit year for automobile industry in India. I wonder why JTP twins aren’t here on this list? I would’ve rated for them because of safety, looks & performance factor. I’m waiting for mods review on those twins.

On this list, Swift would’ve been good if not for the pathetic safety rating it achieved. Suzuki sucks when it comes to providing safety kit on their cars. But it’s surprising to see Brezza to have got 4 stars. Keeping this discussion to another thread.

Last edited by gururajrv : 10th December 2018 at 18:35.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:06   #197

As many have stated already, I was also looking for the Tiago JTP. From the available cars though i voted for Volvo XC40. I am not sure how it has been positioned in India but i saw it on the roads here in Germany and i loved the design.

Its a modern, angular design and look a perfect mini Volvo. Volvo brought its robust SUV design in a smaller body and at a pretty reasonable price (here in EU).

I will be visiting India soon and am very keen to experience the Marazzo but as such i am not a fan of its design and hence it did not get my vote.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th December 2018 at 19:23. Reason: Adding paragraph break for better readability. Thanks.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:39   #198

Really a dry year for all the enthusiasts. None of them look worthy enough for a "COTY" title. The contenders for me would be :

Hyundai Santro : The good old Santro is back with the Petrol AT and the CNG variants which are good options for all the budget family car seekers. Hope to see some magic in the sale numbers in the coming months.

Maruti Swift: I like the new design and the petrol engine ( When will this diesel engine change?) but the 2 star safety rating turned this decision off.

Honda Amaze: A nice car doing great with the sale numbers recently. But the car looks a bit ugly from the back. ( No offence to anyone )

Toyota Yaris : 7 airbags and AT for all variants looks good but the price seems a bit high.

Mahindra Marazzo : Fantastic car made by Mahindra , offering enough grunt and features for that price. 4 star rating is something to be proud of in the current Indian car market lacking safe cars.

My vote goes for > Marazzo
Gonewiththewind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:49   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

It was tough for me to chose between the Marazzo and the Yaris.

The Marazzo looks great. The ride is comfortable, handling is good and more importantly it scored 4* safety ratings.

The Yaris on the other hand offers 7 air bags as a standard feature & its automatic version is available right from the base variant.
So a customer can get an automatic with 7 airbags right from the base variant which is normally not very common among other manufacturers. Its a segment first.
Plus keeping the reliability factor in mind, i voted for the Yaris.

So my vote goes to the Yaris with Marazzo being a very close second and the Santro in 3rd position.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 20:04   #200
BHPian

Maruti Swift because of performance, A.S.S. network, maintenance and most importantly the mileage. Although, I didn’t find anything eye catchy in case of looks, my voting decision was based upon its overall practicality. Since our roads and traffic are notorious for potholes and jams respectively and also fuel isn’t cheap, I think this is an apt car one can own. It checks all department.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:25   #201
BHPian

I have voted for Ertiga because it overcomes many of its earlier drawbacks with space, looks and introducing AT box in the higher variant - it just ticks all boxes for a 5+2 extended family needs under or around the 10L
Old 10th December 2018, 21:30   #202
BHPian

Would have voted for the JTP twins. If the updated Ertiga can find a place I am sure the JTP earns its spot.
I am surprised to see the Marazzo get such a high vote. If we disconnect from the fact that Mahindra had come up with it, then it's a pretty bland product that gets lost in the crowd. Its not an in your face XUV neither does it have the Lone Ranger Bolero genes. Surely I am in the minority. Well, that's beauty of a forum. I get to see such contrasting and yet passionate opinions.
Old 10th December 2018, 21:49   #203
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Toyota Yaris.

Most of the mass market cars, Santro - Amaze - Swift and gang, are really competent in their segments but at launch, none of them could create a stir as strong as their original iterations created. Most of the upgrades and advancements were expected. Nothing what we could call extraordinary.

Marazzo and Yaris are two strong contenders for this year's award. Given its space and dynamics, the former is an ideal package at its given price point. But as I said, it doesn't have any feature that we can call mind-blowing. Mahindra has played smart by putting together good bits from various segments and presenting an "ideal" car to the audience (similar to the Vitara Brezza I would say).

Here, the Yaris scores better as it completely changed the way manufacturers position their variants. It came with 7 airbags, all wheel discs, projector headlamps, automatic transmission right from the base variant!

Although the strategy didn't work out, Toyota at least made a bold move. It's upto the target audience to decide their priorities. Toyota could have made rear wheel discs, projector headlamps and side airbags exclusive to the top variant like other manufacturers do but in my books they made a smart move - positioning the car over its rivals and offering a strong USP as well.

Last edited by self_driven : 10th December 2018 at 21:52.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 21:54   #204
BHPian

Voted for the Ertiga as the new 1.5 L petrol engine is top notch
Old 10th December 2018, 22:02   #205

Voted for Ertiga in what is largely a very dry year. The MPV moved from 5+2 to largely a 7 seater and with improved looks. The market dud in Yaris is gathering a fair share of votes, must say.
Old 10th December 2018, 22:40   #206

There are not many options to choose from, as GTO mentioned a dry year for the industry. But it's the Mahindra Marazzo, prime among the batch of 2018 for me.

1. Competitive pricing in the MPV segment
2. Robust design,
3. Comfortable 3rd row passenger seats and
4. Last but not the least, 4 star Global NCAP rating is an appreciable achievement in the Indian Automobile industry.

I would have chosen Hyundai Santro instead of Mahindra Marazzo, had the global NCAP rating was not released.
Old 10th December 2018, 22:57   #207
BHPian

Voted for Yaris. Simple reason. Safety features are present even in base trim. Even though the car is on old platform and discontinued in most countries, Safety is paramount for Indian roads conditions and it is where this car is different from other manufacturers. We know that Toyota is peace of mind.

P.S I don't know how a product from Mahindra is topping the chart even after all the fiasco associated with XUV5OO airbags. This is my personal opinion. No offence meant to the voters and owners.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 23:08   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabi_swat View Post
Maruti Swift because of performance, A.S.S. network, maintenance and most importantly the mileage. Although, I didn’t find anything eye catchy in case of looks, my voting decision was based upon its overall practicality. Since our roads and traffic are notorious for potholes and jams respectively and also fuel isn’t cheap, I think this is an apt car one can own. It checks all department.
But Swift does not check the most important department ‘safety’. The structure was rated unstable. Yes, as you said fuel is not cheap, but life is not cheap either.

Note : I voted for Marazzo.

Last edited by pavi : 10th December 2018 at 23:09.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 23:09   #209

I feel the XC40 was the best car that was launched this year in India. I drove it briefly and was absolutely blown away by the engine, features, overall comfort and the general ambiance on the inside. What I love the most though is the car's honesty. It doesn't pretend to be what it's not. It is a boxy, practical, safe, sensible SUV and it does all these things so well you begin to see 'cool' in all the practicality. It also feels thoroughly upmarket and you feel special when you are seated on the inside. Something that you don't quite feel when seating in the Mercedes GLA
Old 10th December 2018, 23:21   #210
BHPian

Voting for the Honda Amaze.
This car came to the market when I was just taking delivery of my City. After checking the Amaze features, my mind asked my heart why the heck I am buying City! The response of my heart was just one simple word - 'Engine'
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks