Audi Q5 10 0.51%
Lexus ES 300h 29 1.48%
Voters: 1964. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 11:45   #151
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Don't believe cars not manufactured completely in India should qualify for car of the year, so all the expensive options (commanding huge taxes) are out for me. For the general market cars, Marazzo was a good contender until you look at the engine bay. Too cramped and too early to comment about this car. Swift needs no car of the year awards, it will sell anyway.

So, I feel the Amaze especially with the Diesel CVT and the no-nonsense design deserves a place.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:49   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Marazzo.

Not a fan of Mahindras, but Marazzo somehow doesn't resemble a Mahindra to me. Going by the reports, the infamous bumpy Mahindra ride quality is also absent.

The car looks great on road, has better space than Ertiga. Let's forget space, talk about build quality, having earned a very respectable 4 stars in GNCAP.

I am not bringing in the 1.5 liter inadequacy talk here. 1.5 liter is more than enough for our road conditions. How many times are we gonna transport 7 people on hills? Once or twice in the entire lifetime of the car(if owned by someone living in plains). Hills users have other options.

Also agree to the fact that this year's choices were a bit dull. My second best choice would have been the amaze. It is a perfect blend of everything- space, VFM, badge, looks(except rear though), performance.

But somehow Mahindra takes the cake, being one of the few (can I saw couple) Indian brands that is actually striving for excellence.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:57   #153
BHPian

Not many cars to choose from this time.

Amaze - Diesel CVT is unique but Ameo has DSG one too. Plus, the ugly looks. That chrome mustache is hideous. My wife said - it looks like a rear end of car from both ends!

Swift - Good looking candyfloss (read: unsafe)

Santro - Nothing bad, nothing good

Marazzo - Sweet spot in between Ertiga and Innova crysta. Should be a hit among taxi/fleet segment. Excellent 4 star safety rating also. Looks good (apart from unusually bulky and massive tail lights).

Yaris - Out of budget for most of the buyers in the segment it operates in. Otherwise (if priced a bit lower, esp the mid variants) this would have been my COTY.

For the lack of options, choosing the best out of the limited choices - Marazzo.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 10th December 2018 at 11:59.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:59   #154
BHPian

My choice was the Mahindra Marazzo. The Marazzo appears to be a very capable MPV, and also having obtained a 4 star in NCAP test, it only adds value to it. It should hopefully give good competition to the Toyota Crysta, which only time will tell.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:01   #155
Team-BHP Support

I agree with the sentiment that this is relatively an underwhelming year in terms of options.

I voted for the Marazzo - in my view it is perhaps the most credible alternative to date to the Innova. It has its shortcomings still I feel insofar as it still does not provide a good A/T option which IMO would have made it a more complete offering. Still, its a great product at an incredible value price. I was speaking to a fleet operator and they are seriously tempted at the value proposition it provides.

I was also VERY impressed by the Amaze actually. It is really the complete deal. Great petrol and diesel A/T options, very comfortable & well contoured back seats, good size boot. This is a super update to the old Amaze with a complete range of tranny and fuel options at a decent price. Full marks for not AMT'ing this either.

Finally, interesting to see a Volvo product getting third highest vote. The XC 40 is definitely a super effort from Volvo and a credible alternative to the X1 / Q3. At some level, its again a reflection of the lack of multiple top class options vying for COTY but nevertheless, happy for Volvo to be garnering such interest.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:05   #156
BHPian

Voted for the Toyota Yaris as "COTY" from a not so exciting list this year. Reasons for voting are 7 airbags across all variants and a CVT which pretty much gets 90 % of the job done. The current discounts though make the pricing look better.

Also had considered the Marazzo especially the 4 star NCAP rating and how well they have priced it right between the hot selling Crysta and Ertiga. I dont know what kind of sales numbers it will go on to clock but the middle row seating is nice. Pretty average to drive though.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo definitely deserves my vote for this. My vote for Marazzo is not just because its an Indian product, but for the fact they have put in their best efforts and made an awesome car.
Also it makes me happy and proud about their recent success in NCAP ratings as well. Kudos to Mahindra!

Last edited by sridhar24 : 10th December 2018 at 12:08.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Mahindra Marazzo. It's a practical MPV with solid build quality as confirmed by recent Global NCAP test.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:10   #159
BHPian

This year has been quite barren. None of these cars generated the kind of pizzazz in the market like some of the yesteryear winners. Launches were muted and discussions were not lengthy. If the Harrier had launched would that have made the list and maybe a potential winner ?

Is there a NOTA option for the vote. If so, my vote goes there
Old 10th December 2018, 12:16   #160
BHPian

Voted for the Marazzo as well. While am traditionally not a fan of Mahindra's, my feeling is Car of the Year should be reserved for vehicles which move the Indian auto industry forward.

This year, the Marazzo is that - finally some competition to the Innova, a good safety rating and to top it all, a local manufacturer.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:18   #161
BHPian

Voted for the Santro for the sheer quality and value for money within the segment it exists. Not to forget the equity the Santro brand had created for itself and has been able to sustain and survive (in fact thrive) over all these years.

Honda Amaze is a close second IMO.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:22   #162
BHPian

These cars made my final 3:

Honda Amaze:
We own the earlier generation Amaze at home, primarily driven by my dad who is extremely happy with it. It is spacious, practical, reliable and extremely efficient. Honda has a winner with the Diesel CVT combo. Having said that, GNCAP results are not yet out with this new platform and it is not really a drivers car. All in all, it is a good improvement over the last generation, but not enough.

Toyota Yaris:
A well rounded sedan, with 7 airbags and a CVT option with every variant. Toyota just priced it out of contention.

Mahindra Marazzo:
A clean design from Mahindra for a change. A proper 7 seater and the best competitor to Innova yet. The FWD BOF construction (Trying to mate the best of both worlds) is a first for the segment. Long clutch travel and the lack of an automatic option are the only downsides.

Voted for the Marazzo, more due to lack of options than anything else.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:25   #163
BHPian

Voted for the Yaris!

Potential game changer regarding safety features in a very relevant segment. The Yaris forces the other player in this price range to revisit their list of safety features. The only downside is the price.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:27   #164
Team-BHP Support

Clean design, decent specs, 4-star safety rating and a leap forward for the manufacturer. Marazzo it is, for me.

Toyota deserve a pat on the back for the Yaris as a package, but they priced themselves out of the market. Not a fan of their front design language either.

The Volvo isn't a mass-market car, but they're fast becoming arguably the most desirable designs in their market segments, right from their hatch/crossover to their estate offerings. Yum!

Very disappointed with the Santro. Decent package and good quality for the segment, but overpriced and a waste of the legendary moniker. All a bit Meh.

The Swift could've won this hands down, if Maruti just offered better build quality inside out. But why bother when 20,000 copies fly off the shelves as it is. Poor form from the market leader.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Purely my opinion. Marazzo is too early to really opine on, but could be compared with the Tata Hexa overall and not the Innova. The Marazzo motor is too small for the mpv and being a fwd is not something I much like in this class of vehicle. I have voted for the Ertiga with its reliability and mass appeal in its class.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks