Lexus ES 300h 29 1.48%
Voters: 1964. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 17:47   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!

Quite a dry year, I must say. In some COTY threads, we’ve had trouble fitting all the cars on the 1st page…this year, it was easy. Plus, there were hardly any all-new launches in the price band that counts the most = 10 lakhs & under.

I really like the quality & overall package that the Santro offers at that price point. Equally, I love the Swift and would get a 1.2L Petrol MT in red, then spice it up (black roof, free-flow exhaust, intake, remap, nice rims & tyres etc.). Can’t deny how the Amaze Diesel CVT has changed the game in the C1 sedan segment either; it’s truly the best engine & gearbox combination for most urban dwellers. Jerky AMTs can take a hike.

Yet, if I have to vote for the Team-BHP Car of the Year, it has to be a special one. IMHO, the Marazzo hits the bull’s eye. The MPV is a big leap forward for Mahindra and it impressed me as much as the XUV500 did back in 2011. A clean design from Mahindra (for a change), body-on-frame robustness with monocoque-like driving experience, comfortable cabin, practical diesel, sorted road manners and perfect positioning between the Ertiga & Innova (in terms of price as well as size). Not too big, nor too small. There is no major deal-breaker, while today’s news just sealed the deal – the Marazzo got 4 stars in the NCAP

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2018 at 18:05.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 17:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Till about 4-5 hours ago, I would have voted otherwise. The Marazzo, while a competent car was no way even in my list. The latest news of the car getting a 4-star rating swayed my vote for it!

I hope the Indian consumers show this bias towards star-rated cars like the Nexon and the gang and force the car makers in India to offer safer cars. For a home grown companies like Tata and Mahindra, kudos! You have shown us that India-specific cars can be made just as safe as other markets.

While it is just a start, I hope that future car buyers will now give due attention to the overall crash worthiness of a car.

PS- It has been a slow year for over all auto industry in India with uncertain future over the BS VI norms as well as the future of EVs as well. I hope that the industry bounces back in the next year.

Last edited by blackwasp : 7th December 2018 at 17:55.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 17:52   #18
BHPian

Voted for the Lexus ES since it opens an entirely new segment in India: reliable / dependable executive sedan

Last edited by vipul_singh : 7th December 2018 at 17:55.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quite a dry year, I must say. In some COTY threads, we’ve had trouble fitting all the cars on the 1st page…this year, it was easy. Plus, there were hardly any launches in the price band that counts the most = 10 lakhs & under.
Exactly the situation. Will have a tough time choosing the one because of lack of options.

With that engine+ tranny, Amaze would have been a good option but I simply cannot get over that hideous look. For me, a car has to look beautiful as well.

Swift looks and drives good, but now its *2018*. Cannot vote for a 2 star safety rated car.

Yaris could have been a great contender, but then the price. Harakiri by Toyota.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 7th December 2018 at 18:23.
saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Will have a tough time choosing the one because of lack of options.
Exactly was my situation, was running through the list three times searching for JTP twins only to realise its not included and voted for Marazzo, the best out of the lot.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

There are not many choices, but Marazzo would be the one I would vote for.
I think its the best MPV on sale in the market currently all things considered (including price). And the latest news of it scoring 4 stars in the G-NCAP, only adds to its appeal.

OT- looking forward to the poll next year - Tata Harrier, Tata x45, Kia SUV, MG Motors SUV etc. its going to be interesting.

Last edited by rrsteer : 7th December 2018 at 18:13.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:17   #22
BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo for me.

Just for For the 4 star GNCAP ratings (Developed and made in India by an Indian company is the cherry on cake)
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Exactly was my situation, was running through the list three times searching for JTP twins only to realise its not included and voted for Marazzo, the best out of the lot.
+1 to that. Seeing the title I was absolutely sure on selecting JTP twins but in their absence it's between Yaris (but grossly overpriced)and Marazzo for me. Swift would have been there but after gaining all the awareness in Team-Bhp regarding safety aspects over last 6-7 years of following, just can't vote for a 2 star rated car. Really disgusting to see the treatment Suzuki/Maruti gives to their biggest market

Marazzo it is , thanks to today's news of 4 stars.

Proud of Mahindra and TATA for taking the initiative to build safe cars although the market barely cares for that

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th December 2018 at 18:21.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:21   #24
BHPian

Saw the result before I voted, and was surprised to see MArazzo leading by good margin. Then I carefully looked at the other contenders, and it made sense. The only vehicle in the list that brought something new, something fresh.

Thought about Amaze and XC40 also, but, while very good, they can't beat Marazzo on the parameter of "shaking the market". Now, if Tata Harrier was on the list....
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:29   #25
BHPian

Voted for XC40 as it truly brings forth the transformation that Volvo, as a brand, is going through and makes it come back on one's list of desires. It may not bring in volumes like some of the other contenders but it does a whole lot for the brand in the eyes of Indian customer and is a compelling alternative to the German trio.
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:38   #26
BHPian

Voted for the "Flop of the Year", the Yaris. The Yaris brings two firsts to the market.

1) 7 airbags in all variants right from the cheapest to the most expensive

2) AT available in all variants.

Was a brave move, and just for those two reasons, the Yaris deserves to be the Car of the Year.
civic-sense is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quite a dry year, I must say.
Absolutely.

Going through the list, did not feel like voting for any of the contenders this year - but out of the lot, even I have to narrow down on the Mahindra Marazzo.

Rest of the lot just don't feel like a complete package - so skipping them to elect the Marazzo as the COTY 2018.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:44   #28
BHPian

I voted for Amaze.
Honda tried to bring in some thing new for Indians this time - the Diesel mill + CVT, first in the segment.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:45   #29
BHPian

The paralysis in this thread epitomises the lack of exciting options in India which is the point of the other thread started by BHPian Nakul0888!

Last edited by octane1002 : 7th December 2018 at 18:47.
octane1002 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voting for the Santro, the car that challenged the industry leader to buckle up when it was launched in 1998 - and is all set to do so again with the redux:
Quote:
A budget car that doesn't feel cheap! Maruti should really take lessons on this from Hyundai
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks