Voters: 1964. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2018, 00:40   #316
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Equally amazed with the Volvo XC40 garnering 227 votes. I believe this is the first time that a luxury car has gotten this volume of votes in our COTY. Says a lot about Volvo's turnaround in terms of image & product, both. I don't think any luxury car has ever been on the Team-BHP podium.
Truly delighted to see this. Volvo well deserves its moment in the spotlight. This day should have come sooner, but bias is a hard thing to overcome !
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:03   #317
Senior - BHPian

This shows that how much the views here matter to the manufacturers. This is on Official Marazzo Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo-20181228_115827.jpg  

BANDHAV is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 14:59   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
This shows that how much the views here matter to the manufacturers. This is on Official Marazzo Facebook page.
Yeah. TBHPians are always flagged high by most of the manufacturers.
People here are very well aware whom I am excluding.
Old 28th December 2018, 16:31   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Yeah. TBHPians are always flagged high by most of the manufacturers.
People here are very well aware whom I am excluding.
Are you referring to the Ford Ecosport S incident, when they didn't offer a media car, and more than 40 members offered theirs, for the review?
Old 28th December 2018, 17:47   #320
BHPian

Actually, for a manufacturer it is the ultimate accolade. It is not influenced by ad revenue or finding a category to please all the high rollers by distributing awards amongst manufacturers.

While, Mahindra deserves to be congratulated, given the dearth of anything revolutionary this year, it is a bit like a Djokovic winning a tournament with a field of Atp 250 players rather than the cream.

Let's hope the pool of candidates to choose from next year is richer in breadth and scope.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 18:01   #321
BHPian

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
& This becomes even more sweeter with the Chairman himself speaking good words about our very own forum, "Team-BHP"

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo-img_20181228_175552.jpg
KING DYSP is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 19:39   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragasruoban View Post
Don't know why the facelifted Ford Aspire was not in the list since it can be considered as the jack of all trades in its segment.
Since it is only a facelift and not really a new generation car. Facelifts aren't considered in new car awards.
Old 28th December 2018, 22:18   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Equally amazed with the Volvo XC40 garnering 227 votes. I believe this is the first time that a luxury car has gotten this volume of votes in our COTY. Says a lot about Volvo's turnaround in terms of image & product, both. I don't think any luxury car has ever been on the Team-BHP podium.
There is good reason for this in India. Luxury brands in India are simply not value for money. With ridiculously high starting costs and eye-popping running costs and not to mention the stripped down versions that we typically get here (Audi A4 with the 1.4 TSI!!), they are just not as appealing in India. For example, a Honda Jazz is 20-30% cheaper in India than in the UK. However, an Audi A4 is nearly 50% more expensive on road in India than in the UK. UK/US pricing is far more in line with the value that these luxury cars bring to the table. India pricing makes no sense.

Last edited by kovilkalai : 28th December 2018 at 22:19. Reason: Forgot to get rid of the image
kovilkalai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 08:25   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Are you referring to the Ford Ecosport S incident, when they didn't offer a media car, and more than 40 members offered theirs, for the review?
Yeah. And the reasons they came up with are too baseless.
Old 29th December 2018, 08:55   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
There is good reason for this in India. Luxury brands in India are simply not value for money. With ridiculously high starting costs and eye-popping running costs and not to mention the stripped down versions that we typically get here (Audi A4 with the 1.4 TSI!!), they are just not as appealing in India. For example, a Honda Jazz is 20-30% cheaper in India than in the UK. However, an Audi A4 is nearly 50% more expensive on road in India than in the UK. UK/US pricing is far more in line with the value that these luxury cars bring to the table. India pricing makes no sense.
No one can argue, it’s a fact that cbu & ckd taxation and pricing is stupid in our country.

I think the point GTO made was that the xc40 won the bronze medal in the tbhp COTY despite that !
reihem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 12:09   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
I have nothing against Mahindra but Marazzo as COTY just shows that how little choices we Indians have for cars. Very high taxes for CBD and CKD imports and Maruti taking half of the pie despite decent market growth means, we will continue to see very few exciting models.

Hopefully, EV revolution will change this situation in future.
+1.

Mahindra Marazzo as COTY 2018 - What a Joke!

Yes, I respect the voting process and the verdict. However, i cannot digest the fact that Marazzo is 'THE' Best Car of the Year!

Why don't we seek votes 'class wise' ? Comparing Marazzo with Volvo is like
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 22:56   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
No one can argue, it’s a fact that cbu & ckd taxation and pricing is stupid in our country.

I think the point GTO made was that the xc40 won the bronze medal in the tbhp COTY despite that !
That is precisely the point. There is no way a luxury brand is getting into this list without 95%+ localisation. Look at what Mahindra and Tata are able to do with near 100% Indian sourcing. Their pricing is phenomenal by any global standard. If XC40s were built here, they can charge 26L. At that price, I would have voted for the XC40.
Old 30th December 2018, 08:23   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
I have nothing against Mahindra but Marazzo as COTY just shows that how little choices we Indians have for cars.

Hopefully, EV revolution will change this situation in future.
Can't agree with you more. I do not want to do this and least of all sound condescending for our voted Car of the Year, I can well imagine the virtues of the Marazzo. After a long time, someone had the gamesmanship to take it up with our beloved and almost-reverred Toyota Innova.

But almost 10% of the votes went to the Suzuki Swift! This is a car that performed abysmally at the GNCAP tests. To quote they had said "The two star result for adult occupants is due to high compression to the driver chest, unstable structure and poor protection for the feet explained by pedal displacement on the driver side". (New Maruti Swift gets just 2-stars in the Global NCAP)Link Now, this from a perfectly informed, aware and apprised bunch of friends. People who live and breath everything automotive; some who are even influencers!

Now please, don't get me wrong, but I think it is also time the votes garnered for COTY are bereft of our judgment being cloitered with our own purchasing power. Over the years, I have read comments which gave one a feeling that members are voting with their own wallet size in mind. What would I buy next? What would my family like? What would be perfect for my urbane driving? Whereas, all such questions are valid, I think they are not what should decide our choices for TeamBHP Car of the Year. They are good for the "What Car" thread, not the COTY! This emancipation from budgetary consideration is supremely important, as then, a truly market-moving and radical product from higher segments will be considered for the virtues that it provides. This year, let it be a year of introspection for the manufacturers and us as a forum as well, no need for any convalescence, well! atleast not yet.
Overlander is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 09:22   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
+1.

Mahindra Marazzo as COTY 2018 - What a Joke!

Yes, I respect the voting process and the verdict. However, i cannot digest the fact that Marazzo is 'THE' Best Car of the Year!

Why don't we seek votes 'class wise' ? Comparing Marazzo with Volvo is like
So why are folks up in arms against the Marazzo being the COTY in team bhp? Because its an MPV and does not look good?

Have Car of the year awards always gone to the Abarths and the Tsi badges? Nope, at least in Team-BHP from whatever I can recollect, all COTY have been market relevant, have been cars that set some new benchmarks within its segment and so on.

And Unlike other auto awards, Team BHP has been never swayed by a badge. And just for the record, another MPV, the Ertiga won the COTY from Autocar this year!

I do not love or hate the Marazzo, but one should realise that it has opened up a new segment, just above the Ertiga and the likes, but probably offering most of what a super expensive Innova does. And this is a new mass market segment. Earlier you had to either buy the Ertiga at 10-12 lakhs or go all the way up to 20+ for an Innova for a 7 seater. Now there is a credible option in the form of the Marazzo. And most reviews indicate that this is a well engineered product. So why not acknowledge this and move on?

May be the next year COTY will have some glamorous cars like the Harrier, Civic and more.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st December 2018 at 17:20. Reason: Typo.
motorworks is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 10:27   #330
Senior - BHPian

I guess most of us have given reason why specific car deserved their vote. Why all the fuss about marazzo being a joke?

Voting has been completely transparent and views are in public domain. Feel free to read and move on.
rajshenoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed