Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 07:23   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Guys, please don't miss this part of the opening post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's only ALL-NEW cars that are included in our COTY award.
The Freestyle hasn't been included as it's basically a tweaked, improved & rebranded Figo.

The JTP Twins haven't been included as they are performance variants of existing cars.

Moderator Note: No more discussions on this. If you have any suggestions, submit them by 'reporting' this post. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 07:25   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

A terrible year for car launches in India. I picked the new BMW X3. Why? Let me go one by one.

The Santro has returned - but it looks like a face lifted and rebadged i10. Which admittedly was not a bad car for 2007. Saw it at the airport - would be great as an entry level car, with the current Alto as competition - but that reflects more on the Alto than on the merits of the Santro.

I just didn’t like the floating rear door handle on the Swift. Also think they turned one of the most beautiful cars around into something ugly. And as our review says, the Baleno is not that much more costly and is far better as a car.

The Amaze may be wider and more spacious but I don’t like its looks at all. Can’t vote for an ugly car.

I didn’t like the original Ertiga. I have not seen the new one, I can’t vote for it.

The Marazzo - which seems to be running away with our vote - is a worthy competitor. Probably the best indigenous effort from Mahindra yet. But it is an Innova competitor that is inferior to the Innova - and so can’t get my vote

I won’t agree with those who say the Alturas is over priced. It is priced fairly for an alternative to the Fortuner. And it will probably not be that much worse than the Fortuner either. But body on frame SUVs are not my scene.

The CR V will probably end with more votes in our poll than it’s monthly sales.

I didn’t realise there was a new Outlander or Countryman out in the market

The Q5 is inferior to the X3 (and also to the older GLC in my view). And seems to be priced at a premium to the X3 (don’t worry if you want one, the discounts will start rolling in).

The NX is not bad - at ₹ 40 l, it would have been a worthy competitor to the X1. But it does not deserve a premium to the X3.

The ES is probably the best car here. But thanks to its CBU status, it is over priced by at least ₹ 10-15 lakhs.

So I was left with the XC40 or the new X3. I found the XC40 the ugliest of the new Volvos. But gave it a deep consideration despite that - it’s quirky, reasonably well priced and full of features.

As you know, I own the old X3. And the new one is a worthy upgrade - subtly better looks, more space, more features.

So decided to be brand loyal and vote for the X3.

Edit: I forgot the Yaris while posting above. And yes, it is eminently forgettable - the market forgot it too.

Last edited by Hayek : 8th December 2018 at 07:28.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 07:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Yaris brings two firsts to the market.
1) 7 airbags in all variants right from the cheapest to the most expensive
2) AT available in all variants.
Was a brave move, and just for those two reasons, the Yaris deserves to be the Car of the Year.
Totally agree with you and these were the main reasons for me purchasing Yaris.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 07:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

The Marazzo. This people mover looks pleasing and drives really well. If I were to buy a vehicle today, it would be this. It's also scoring high on safety, and is the tiara adorning Mahindra! They should be proud!
Old 8th December 2018, 08:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Amaze. It's the only true Diesel + Automatic Transmission car under Rs. 10 lakh. Most importantly it's a big improvement over the last gen Amaze.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:18   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Most importantly it's a big improvement over the last gen Amaze.
Improvement over last generation, but hardly better than competition, nor brings anything new to the market except for that one variant - Diesel CVT.

Infact, sales are dropping every month hard and fast. Last five months have seen sales fall more than 50% - currently not even 1/4th of DZire sales.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

I wish there was a NOTA option. Luxury cars are not really relevant to me and of the rest, none of the above is really making me go out and change my Ecosport that has clocked 80k KM's. Only the Amaze Diesel CVT that Asit mentioned above seems to tick some basic boxes but it's looks and interiors is not something that appeals to me.

Had the Harrier come out this year, it would have been my choice. Am going virtual NOTA this year.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 8th December 2018 at 08:30.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:46   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Marazzo

Santro - Might be doing well, but it's just a mix of the old i10 and the grand i10. Doesn't seem to excite the us (BHPians). And still not a fully loaded AT/AMT is a big letdown.

Swift - Fun little thing to drive but it's getting old and uglier. The first gen Swift still looks fab.

Amaze - Even though most compact sedans have this "gone under the knife" look, this one is a bit too harsh IMO. Much better than the outgoing model, no doubt. But I personally prefer the Ford Aspire over this.

Marazzo - I have seen only one in person and it looked fresh. It does hold the usual MPV silhouette but somehow it does make your head turn twice. A good effort from Mahindra.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Voted for the Amaze. It's the only true Diesel + Automatic Transmission car under Rs. 10 lakh. Most importantly it's a big improvement over the last gen Amaze.
Aren't we forgetting the fantastic Ameo TDI Dsg combo in the diesel auto tranny under ten lakhs quote?
Yes the new amaze is an improvement over the older version and is selling in droves but the tinny build quality and the weird styling are a turnoff.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:53   #70
Team-BHP Support

When a 7 seater MPV with a 1.5L tops the poll for Car of the year you can say for sure than 2018 has been really bad for enthusiast car launches.

There's no way I'm choosing the MArazzo. IT's either the Amaze or XC40. Still deciding.

I would have voted for the Yaris, had toyota targeted the right segment like the Ciaz and Verna instead of City.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 08:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Improvement over last generation, but hardly better than competition, nor brings anything new to the market except for that one variant - Diesel CVT.

Infact, sales are dropping every month hard and fast. Last five months have seen sales fall more than 50% - currently not even 1/4th of DZire sales.
IMHO, The Diesel+CVT itself is the biggest USP. For a sub4m sedan it’s got a decent boot and spacious interiors. To me the AMT’s are just horrible hence the Amaze is a “true” Diesel automatic.

If sales numbers actually give us an idea of how good a product is then all the Fiat owners should ditch their Punto’s and Linea’s To get Swift’s and Dzire’s. We are an automotive forum, Let’s discuss products and not the business to analyse their worthiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Aren't we forgetting the fantastic Ameo TDI Dsg combo in the diesel auto tranny under ten lakhs quote?
Yes the new amaze is an improvement over the older version and is selling in droves but the tinny build quality and the weird styling are a turnoff.
The Ameo was never under or around Rs. 10 Lakh, atleast in Pune. It doesn’t get any better interior space over the Polo which is a deal breaker for an average family user. Most importantly, DQ200. Enough said.

The styling of all sub4m sedans is a turn off. Yes the Aspire and the older indigo eCS were a lil better but most of them look out of place. When considering a sub4m, looks are going to be the least of my concerns.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th December 2018 at 09:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wish there was a NOTA

I voted for the Marazzo because 1) It seems like a hearts out effort from Mahindra and 2) Received a 4star GNCAP certification which is sort of a milestone event for a people mover from an Indian manufacturer.

Hyundai Santro -- whats special?
Maruti Swift -- another Swift with suspicious Maruti build
Honda Amaze -- another compact sedan
Maruti Ertiga -- New Ertiga wow
Toyota Yaris -- Overpriced for its segment safety features not withstanding.
Mahindra Marazzo -- This is different, its NEW and effort has gone into this.
Mahindra Alturas G4 -- Rebranded ssanyong
Honda CR-V -- LoL
Mitsubishi Outlander -- LOL
Mini Countryman -- Nice
Volvo XC40 -- Cool
BMW X3 -- Nice
Lexus NX 300h -- Cool
Audi Q5 -- Another Q5? Nice
Lexus ES 300h -- Cool
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
The Ameo was never under or around Rs. 10 Lakh, atleast in Pune. Most importantly, DQ200. Enough said.

When considering a sub4m, looks are going to be the least of my concerns.
Fair point the on road price is higher but hasn't the dsg been behaving better these days in the newer cars?

Your last point I completely disagree with we as a country are obsessed with looks of cars and how well they look in our front porch and why settle for some weird looking car when we have decent looking ones like the new Dzire and Aspire.

I feel that we are going OT and will stop here.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Marazzo. Entirely new and fresh. Happy to see it fare well in NCAP too.

Looking promising and hopefully Mahindra can only get better from here
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:26   #75
BHPian

There aren't many choices this year to actually compete for the glory.

But coming to the choices available, I have to go with Mahindra Marazzo, considering a new patented FWD for a ladder frame, 4 star NCAP rating, and a logical attempt in a space which has no logical competition in that price range with similar build. A very solid attempt into the MPV segment, to follow Xylo's glory.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks