Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:15   #61
BHPian

re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

I will never understand the fascination with beige colored dashboard panels and seat covers. They are a dirt magnet. Also, please don't give beige if you can't pull off Hyundai like quality. I am not saying go with complete black, even grey color would do well.

Grey and black interior panels still looks classy in my '04 WagonR:
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-img_20190103_170936.jpg  

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-img_20190103_093639.jpg  

Sherlocked is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
All three parts of this statement are unsupported by any proof:
1. Heartact platform is already very weak ... Maruti says otherwise.
2. ...and add to that the Wagon body ... WagonR is NOT based on Heartech platform.
3. which is already very unstable... any supporting proof?

I can understand people's disappointment, but let it at least be based on fact. Else it will be like people opposing the Marrazzo as COTY just because of its manufacturer.
Heartact platform is already very weak is supported by the fact that about numerous crash test performed by euro-NCAP which has tested Maruti cars which are based on this platform and they have been found to be scoring lesser stars compared to the ones without them(Baleno-based on heartact platform has scored lesser compared to Vitara Brezza-non heartact platform). There are instances on this forum where S-cross based on heartact platform was ripped by just one single jerk from a scorpio while being towed away. Below is the link for you to see yourself. God can only be the savior when something happens to occupants of the cars manufactured by Maruti.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-members.html (S-Cross' suspicious build: Towing rips out the tow hook & front members)

Secondly, i own a wagon-R VXI which is very nervous and upsetting around some very smooth curves. I did test it on Faridabad-Gurgaon toll road. My Mobilio/Ritz/Honda city behaved 10 times much better and were confidence inspiring. Thirdly, WRT new WagonR being based on heartact platform is just a speculation and i reacted to that only.

Last but not the least, i am not marketing some other company or am not bad mouthing Maruti because of my personal grudges. Just that i am against anyone taking Indians for granted and takings us for a ride in the name of fuel efficiency. I have met employees of Maruti where they themselves have admitted that Maruti is hell bent on cost cutting and the quality has gone for a toss. Since Maruti has 50% of market share hence even if we highlight all these issues to them, it will hardly be a %age to show something significant. It is as simple as that you increase the denominator and then the output-%age, will automatically go down.

Just for your information, am providing a link from youtube which will justify the claim that i have made above

Last edited by su1978 : 3rd January 2019 at 17:49. Reason: spelling mistakes
su1978 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:08   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
There are instances on this forum where S-cross based on heartact platform ....
Just for information, S-Cross and Brezza are based on the same C platform of Suzuki. As far as tow hook getting ripped off is concerned, that needs to be investigated and I guess its nothing to do with the crumple zone of a car.

Quote:
Secondly, i own a wagon-R VXI which is very nervous and upsetting around some very smooth curves. I did test it on Faridabad-Gurgaon toll road. My Mobilio/Ritz/Honda city behaved 10 times much better and were confidence inspiring.
True, Wagon R is not something one should throw around corners. We had a Ritz and it behaved better. City is a sedan so it should behave properly. And so should Mobilio as it's based on Brio's platform.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:57   #64
BHPian

Good lord! that's an ugly car. I am sure it will sell like hot cakes given that it would be very practical and have a lovable mileage going for it.
Old 4th January 2019, 00:21   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I will never understand the fascination with beige colored dashboard panels and seat covers. They are a dirt magnet. Also, please don't give beige if you can't pull off Hyundai like quality. I am not saying go with complete black, even grey color would do well.

Grey and black interior panels still looks classy in my '04 WagonR:
This was the best generation of Wagon R IMHO.

I've owned the Wagon R 2001 Lxi, 2004 Vxi, 2008 Vxi and 2012 Vxi.
Differentiating them in simple terms, the most fun to drive was definitely the first gen but FE was bad, 2nd gen was the more balanced and better looking, 3rd gen didn't look any better than the 2nd gen and still came with the same almost decade old interiors and finally the 4th gen was a completely new car, though it had no soul but looked and felt better inside and out.

I personally always have liked the boxy looks and practical nature of the car, it wasn't made for any sorts of racing competitions, though 1st gen was fun to drive.

In pictures the next gen Wagon R definitely looks underwhelming, but I would reserve my opinion until I see it in flesh.

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th January 2019 at 00:46.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 03:16   #66
BANNED

Looked at the interior pics, made my heart cry out, 2020 and this is what MSIL is offering , then there are people who don't like the fit and finish on the Harrier.

To add, Zxi might be selling at 0.6 Million, cannot imagine someone buying it at this price and MSIL selling it, is beyond my levels of comprehension.

Keep milking MSIL, we have plethora of uneducated car buyers !!
Old 4th January 2019, 07:50   #67
BHPian

IMO, this new generation is the most substantial update for WagonR because it will come with the 1.2L K series engine. Not only it will improve its drivability but AMT integration will get better as well. Fuel efficiency gain will also be there.
MSIL had sort of downgraded the WagonR when it was given the 1.0L 3 cyclinder engine. Not because it had 100 CC and one cylinder less on paper than the outgoing F10D, but because it had such a poor drivability in practical real world conditions.

Along with the engine, the steering wheel, gear lever knob, ORVMs, AC control buttons are also taken from the parts bin of Swift and Ignis in this new WagonR.
I have a feeling that it will turn out to be a great practical car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
In pictures the next gen Wagon R definitely looks underwhelming, but I would reserve my opinion until I see it in flesh.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 4th January 2019 at 07:57.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:06   #68
BHPian

Wagon R has been known as most practical and easy to use car. This latest boxy iteration would be no exception in my opinion and I do not expect it to deviate from its established USP.

One may differ in preferences, but I prefer to evaluate a car by its mechanical, safety standards, practicality and reliability, not on luxury features like touch screen, upmarket audio system, leather upholstery, sunroofs etc. etc.

At present, I use 2014 Model Wagon R Stingray VXi(O) and I have no complaint except poor bottom end torque of 1.0-liter mill. Till date I covered approx. 35000 Kms with more than 70% expressway use. My expectation from new models are – better safety features, better engine performance and more shoulder space.

Now coming back to discussion on new model, it is getting better only. 1.2-liter engine is most welcome change! I will also expect better safety measures with this model

We cannot have opinion conclusively until we see the car in flesh. At this point, from the pictures, it is evident that dashboard is spartan, the simple and flat surface of dashboard opens-up more space inside. However, I would have preferred non-beige treatment both in dash board and upholstery.

Side-look is almost like outgoing model except the floating roof thing. As usual, with this new platform (?) also, wheels are pushed to corners to maximize space utilization. Rear treatment is little off the current trend but gels with overall boxy design. Front looks sober with big squarish headlights and long black grill! Overall its a decent effort but nothing exciting!

At the end of the day, it’s our choice to select a product based on our preferences and priorities. No manufacturer is compelling us to buy their products when we have plenty of options available. Wagon R is one such product which is surviving last 20 years and that itself speaks volume about its merit!

Last edited by Subby : 4th January 2019 at 10:08.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:30   #69
BHPian

Looking at the interior pics, I'm reminded of that new-age viral song which rhymes with "Tacky Tacky".

I think Maruti is trying too hard to improve it's middle class image by providing beige interiors.
But they are forgetting that to the middle class, low costs of upkeep/running trumps all other factors and negatives.
This is what made Maruti popular in the first instance. They should just honestly stick to that philosophy, instead of gimmicks.

The older cars, had a "take me anywhere, I won't complain" notion attached to them. The newer ones, IMHO, don't make me feel the same way.
Old 4th January 2019, 12:24   #70
BHPian

We have been looking for a replacement for our 2012 Wagon R for almost a year now. Our usage involves ~500 kms of monthly driving in peak hour traffic. In fact, our Wagon R has completed just 33,000-odd kms in the last seven years. Since our office space is congested to the core, we could not find a replacement for this tiny car that can be squeezed anywhere. When I say congested, it means getting a Swift here is also a tough task. So, our primary requirements are: a) easy ingress and egress b)smallest footprint possible. c) a little more power than the mediocre 3-drum 1.0-liter engine.

Only two cars fit the bill well - the Santro and the Ignis.

Santro is a let-down IMO and the looks of Ignis did not go well with the fam; interiors especially (sounds weird coming from the same folks who own a Wagon R!)

However, this new Wagon R has garnered our attention. It is practically an evolved version of the current car and ticks all our boxes (glad the 1.2L engine makes its way in here). The question of exterior looks is rendered moot for a person who already owns a Wagon R - it doesn't matter.

So, I feel that the new Wagon R will be a major attraction for the existing loaf-of-bread owners who would get an upgrade without spending a bomb.
satrikon_454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 12:28   #71
BHPian

Everything about the new Wagon R looks dated to me. Interiors are even more messed up then the exterior. Rear tail light setup is direct lift from e2o plus and the front end has more curves then the entire car structure.
Old 4th January 2019, 12:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen WagonR brochure leaked

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-image1-1.jpeg

The official brochure of the next generation WagonR has leaked. It reveals variant details and specifications of the upcoming hatchback.

The new WagonR is likely to be offered in three trim levels - LXi, VXi and ZXi. Automated manual transmission (AMT) will be available on the VXi and ZXi variants.

According to the brochure, the new WagonR measures 3,655 mm in length, 1,620 mm in width and 1,675 mm in height. Its wheelbase is 2,435 mm and the car comes fitted with a 32-litre fuel tank.

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-image2-1.jpeg

The new WagonR gets a rectangular grille with a chrome strip in the centre. It is flanked by large sweptback headlamps. It has a dual-tone bumper with 3-slat air dam with fog lamp pods on either side. The car retains its tall boy proportions and has vertically stacked tail lamp clusters at the rear. It has ORVMs with integrated turn signals and rides on 14-inch wheels. The wheels on the LXi variant are a size smaller.

The new WagonR will be available with two engine options. The LXi variant is powered by a 998cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 67 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 90 Nm @ 3,500 rpm, while the top-spec ZXi and ZXi AGS trims come with a 1,197cc, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm. The VXi and VXi AGS variants come with both 1.0-litre and 1.2-litre engine options.

The new WagonR will be available in 6 colour options - Superior White, Silky Silver, Magma Grey, Autumn Orange, Nutmeg Brown and Poolside Blue.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 12:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the brochure!

As per NDTV site, the current one has Kerb weight of 870Kg in LXI, and 895KGs for VXI (O) AGS. This new edition has even lesser weight starting at 805KGs for LXI, topping the scale with ZXI ags at 835. With increased length, width, how has the weight reduced by almost 7-8%?!!

People who make weight loss as their new year resolution should put up Maruti Suzuki poster in Gym. No entity has shown such weight loss over the years!

Last edited by ani_meher : 4th January 2019 at 12:52.
ani_meher is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 13:09   #74
BHPian

So this contraption indeed looks ugly. I think that Maruti is going to spin off VFM MPV variants from Wagon R going ahead. May be the Japanese Wagon R could later be used as those wannabe SUVs going by the current industry trends.

Who am I to fool anyone this WagonUgly-R will be burning the sales charts now with 1.2lt

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2019 at 16:05. Reason: The additional space is due to the dead horse emoji height. :)
Old 4th January 2019, 13:56   #75
BHPian

Doesn't look great but sufficiently different from the existing Wagon R. Like most predicted, it will sell among its target customers. Doesn't the current Wagon R come with alloys in the top end? The one in the brochure does not look like fitted with one!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks