Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 14:31   #76
BHPian

re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Doesn't look great but sufficiently different from the existing Wagon R. Like most predicted, it will sell among its target customers. Doesn't the current Wagon R come with alloys in the top end? The one in the brochure does not look like fitted with one!
The alloys are optional even on top end model.
Old 4th January 2019, 14:51   #77
BHPian

a 100 BHP/Tonne power to weight ratio looks sweet on VXI 1.2. Now the handling and brakes will define whether it will be a safety concern or pure fun to drive experience. Older wagonRs have known to be poor when it comes to handling compared to its peers eg santro, eon, i10 or even celerio.
Old 4th January 2019, 15:21   #78
BHPian

As an owner of two wagon r 1.0 I can see that Maruti has worked on the exterior styling to add a dash of botox to the exterior but there is little that can be done on a tall boy design with flab sides.

What I dislike is Wagon R was one vehicle which had a reasonable build quality and no visible signs of cost cutting. For e.g. it had both front and rear adjustable headrests. In the current one I see both are fixed type. This alone screams c-h-e-a-p in a big way.
The instrument cluster is another thing which lends a bit of premium quotient to car. Current one had a decent one but in this one tachometer is missing or digital. The huge speedometer with an adjacent circle for tell tale looks odd.
I also don't see split rear seats which despite of small boot in current one was immensely practical and useful.
The odd front air vents continue and I don't think the front passenger under seat storage will be present anymore considering Maruti's urge for cost cutting. This was a less used feature but was a boon to store and carry valuable items to and from bank.
Mirrors are taken from parts bin and are now of same shape from Wagon R to Ciaz. The current ones though didn't have indicators but were of good size and useful.
Same flap type door handles have been carried over. Should have been changed to pull type ones.
My biggest gripe is weight reduction. With 65 Kg reduction this will lose it's tag of reasonable build quality and will start suffering serious damages on minor shunts like current dzire and swift. 1.2 L in a lighter body - I hope it doesn't makes it a scary handling vehicle. It will definitely help in the poor bottom end torque of the current one though.
Also why reduce the fuel tank quantity to 32 L? What difference will 3 L make to weight reduction. At least it could have lead to a better range!!
Stingray was a decent attempt from Maruti to spice up Wagon R with leather wrapped steering wheel, steering buttons, projector headlamps, FE, range, black interiors and alloy wheels. Maruti should have taken that template to add 1.2 L engine and some more dash to make it a premium A+ segment car, however Maruti's quest for weight reduction and cost cutting prevailed!! Stingray.pdf

It might sell in good numbers but Maruti has robbed Wagon R of it's strong points which differentiated it from their lineup.

Last edited by PraNeel : 4th January 2019 at 15:35.
PraNeel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 15:49   #79
BHPian

I feel the 1.2 was a last minute decision for MS as they knew Santro would pull a whole lot of Waggy's market share!

But I will still go with Santro as it has much better build quality and fit & finish even though it's a little underpowered.
Old 4th January 2019, 16:08   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Only positive things I can see are space and the 1.2 liter engine. Looks- exterior and interior are disappointing. I don't really expect Marutis to be safe though.

This is my 2004 wagon r on the day we sold it(2008). It served beautifully for 4 years and 50000 km. I personally feel it looked more classy than the versions of the wagon r that followed.

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-screenshot_201901041604112.png

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th January 2019 at 16:11.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R details as revealed by ACI>>>

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-411038
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-wagon-r-1.jpg  

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-wagon-r-2.jpg  

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-wagon-r-3.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post

Wow!

10 CM increase in width, 2 CM increase in length and this has made the boot space double from 170 to 340?

Is that a typo or did they actually make this happen? if Yes, then MSIL should get into real estate business and start making apartments. They can practically finish off any competition.
RaghuVis is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Ignis sits on the Heartech Platform, and the upcoming WagonR is based on a modified version of the old WagonR platform. Let's wait for official confirmation from MSIL at launch for further details on platform and safety aspects. The launch is just <3 weeks away now.
New Wagon R and Ignis will share the same platform.
It's heartech platform.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:38   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post

Highly unprofessional of Autocar India. They have stolen Team-BHP scoop without mentioning credit. The brochure was first leaked by our forum members.
mayanksabharwal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 19:43   #85
BHPian

MS folks - Wagon R is a wagon (in some form), pls let it be that way; this looks downright ugly to me inside out (personal view). I still feel that the earlier Avatars of this work horse were clean, no nonsense & somewhat smart too

With due respect to modern tech but I feel heart-tech platform is turning to be a heart-attack platform (Pun intended) to me with all those reduction in kilos.

Anyway, writing on the wall is - "It will be a run away success with record bookings"
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 07:33   #86
BHPian

Hearing about this new version of Wagon R instantly brought following questions to my mind-
1- What will happen to sales of ignis? A price correction for it on the cards?
2- How will it perform in the crash tests?
3- Will the airbag - abs be standard?
4- Shouldn't MS simply drop the 1.0 engine from this car?
Old 5th January 2019, 15:44   #87
BHPian

The new WagonR is I think one of the better cars to come out of Maruti recently. I genuinely like the new version and it looks much better now with the modern styling compared to the older one who was infamous for the same
porsche_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 16:44   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby_great View Post
1- What will happen to sales of ignis? A price correction for it on the cards?
It is a general trend in market especially in MSIL product to overlap (or very close) pricing of top end variant of lower segment with low end variant of higher segment. Same will be happened in case of Wagon-r and IGNIS. VXI 1.2 will be closed to sigma.

No price correction to IGNIS will happened because most buyers are not interested for base version nowadays. Wagon-r VXI 1.2 & IGNIS delta will again 50k+ difference and so the buyer category will be different.

Quote:
2- How will it perform in the crash tests?
Let it be done. But for on road behaviour, I doubt on 165 section (with R14 wheel) skinny tyres.

Quote:
3- Will the airbag - abs be standard?
Minimum features will be there as per govt. policy.

Quote:
4- Shouldn't MS simply drop the 1.0 engine from this car?
Wagon-r is a popular car and it is not possible to drop the cheap 1.0L engine and increase the price with 1.2L. Customers will directly go to i10. But there may be an internal policy to push the VXI/ AMT buyers to 1.2L version while interacting with SA.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 17:25   #89
BHPian

Honestly, the only gripe in the existing Wagon R is the 1 liter 3 cylinder engine. Now when I am looking for an upgrade below are my criteria -

1. Tall boy/Compact SUV type
2. Fun to drive
3. Reliable and Good After Sales Service

The only cars that fit the bill are Vitara Brezza and Hyundai Creta. Wagon R has spoilt me and my family with easy ingress/egress, long drives doesn't necessarily mean back pains anymore and good all around visibility. Due to its compact size, its easy to park as well. Apart from Santro, I don't think there are any cars in the market in this 5 lac range to beat Wagon R in reliability. Reason why it sells in such numbers.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 19:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Apart from Santro, I don't think there are any cars in the market in this 5 lac range to beat Wagon R in reliability. Reason why it sells in such numbers.
There is one car, it's name is Tata Tiago. Yours truly has one and it replaced the WagonR back in 2016. Also New Santro has joined in last month. So, I will vouch that Tiago has been touchwood so far. WagonR was flawless as you said. New Santro is an improvement over Eon, and the car feels much more upmarket.

If I have to choose between these 3, it would be a tough one, each cars are good in their own ways, the Santro does well in terms of Drivability, Features, Smooth AMT, After sales, while WagonR is extremely practical, has good engine, after sales, resale, is efficient. While Tiago is very good looking, has nice Interiors, is best built of 3, has excellent suspension, is balanced and stable on highways, and is also the most VFM among these.

Whoever prefer the above Pro's should get that respective car.

Coming back to WagonR, I guess it's the Santro which has made them to think of 2 engine options, also good that they are offering AMT in both engines. While design hasn't been it's trump card ever since it's launch in 1996, It's other Pro's are certain to make it No. 1 selling car among these 3, while the Santro will take rank 2 due to Hyundai's After sales and features, The Best of the 3 (Tiago) will have to settle at 3rd position despite being so well rounded.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed