Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:13   #46
BHPian

re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

I believe maruti wanted to pull some of the numbers of i10. Space wise now wagonr looks much better car with boot having more space. The rear seats look to have better thigh support. 1.2L will be much torque-ier. We need to see if there is a different tuning. There will be an amt version if i am not wrong. Wagonr never had better interiors and so i am not taken away. If the structural strength is good enough to get 3 stars, that will be the biggest surprise.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

More images of the 2019 WagonR,

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:17   #48
BHPian

Good news on the 1.2 engine on a practical car, should sell well.

But what a disappointment on the interiors! It's bland and utilitarian but I guess Maruti knows its target market better than us.

I even mentioned earlier here that with an acceptable interior they could give competition to even premium hatchbacks but this ain't it.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Good news on the 1.2 engine on a practical car, should sell well.

But what a disappointment on the interiors! It's bland and utilitarian but I guess Maruti knows its target market better than us.

I even mentioned earlier here that with an acceptable interior they could give competition to even premium hatchbacks but this ain't it.
From the looks of it, they have just added a touchscreen to the earlier dash. It looks too similar to the outgoing model. Perhaps, they saw how neatly Ola has integrated it's tabs on the center consoles

This car looks a mix and match of many cars. But, the writing is clear - it'll sell well.
amtak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, there's 1.2 K12 engine
I think we can presume for retirement of CELERIO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
2. 1.2L litre engine - Again much needed. 1.2L K-series is leagues ahead of 1.0L. This alone will make me consider this car.
Finally wagon-r reprieved from 3 cylinder but platform & suspension to be worked very carefully to handle the power of 1.2L engine with low profile 15” tyre on softer side. But again the power will cost the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
1. The tachometer is missing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
It may have digital tachometer. Not sure, will come to know later.
Look like a digital tachometer graduations.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-img20190103wa0009.jpg  

(Alok) is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, there's 1.2 K12 engine
Combo is pretty good for Indian requirement.
1.2 K12 Engine + Ignis platform + Spacious from Inside. Should be a decent handler.

Exterior looks could have been better.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:30   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

So basically, they just put a touchscreen in the middle and the new steering wheel.

Made the exterior uglier, and called it a day?

Boxy it may have been, but the previous one had a decent design, especially the 'stingray/vx+' models.

This, especially the rear third quarter looks tacky with the reflectors and the poor attempt at floating roof imitation.

Sure, the instrument cluster was in the middle, and Maruti may have been wary of that, but the JDM interiors had character, and was more practical atleast with good real life storage options like the F10D WagonR had.

plus points
Option of 1.2l instead of the gutless 1.0l.

And....well, it's a WagonR.

negative
Styling, both interior and exterior.
Doubts over how much improvement the platform had.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-img011.jpg  

Last edited by DicKy : 3rd January 2019 at 13:32.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
I think we can presume for retirement of CELERIO.

Finally wagon-r reprieved from 3 cylinder but platform & suspension to be worked very carefully to handle the power of 1.2L engine with low profile 15” tyre on softer side. But again the power will cost the mileage.
Celerio might be kept aside for commercial fleet. There is already a "Tour" model of Celerio if I am not wrong.

Regarding the mileage of 1.2L, I always manage to get MUCH better mileage in my friend's Baleno 1.2 than my WagonR 1.0. I feel the same engine in the WagonR will give similar or more FE than the current 1.0. Also the new car looks more aerodynamic than the brickbox that I have which should aid FE.

Edit: The more I look at the car, the more it looks like a shrunk Ertiga (in a good way) - old Ertiga from the front and the new one from the rear. From what I gauge from the pics, I will prefer this new design any day over the current one (that I own).

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd January 2019 at 13:41.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks crude and a half hearted effort inside out. Whatever be the power plant. Doesn't look desirable at all. I think that contraption in the images can be forgiven being a test mule. It better look good in it's final form well removed from the impression we gather from the test mule.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:23   #55
BHPian

Old wagon r crashed to an ignis is this, new style tech platform from Maruti I guess ;-)

Customers these days are more and more design conscious, not see majority ladies, kids approving this style.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Combo is pretty good for Indian requirement.
1.2 K12 Engine + Ignis platform + Spacious from Inside. Should be a decent handler.

Exterior looks could have been better.
Ignis sits on the Heartech Platform, and the upcoming WagonR is based on a modified version of the old WagonR platform. Let's wait for official confirmation from MSIL at launch for further details on platform and safety aspects. The launch is just <3 weeks away now.
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

This is going bang against Santro. While Santro has better looks(personal opinion) and well put interiors, Wagon R seem to score better on space and engine. If I had to chose, would go with latter provided it is safe.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:09   #58
BHPian

Two wrongs do not make a right. Heartact platform is already very weak and add to that the Wagon body which is already very unstable. But in India who cares. Even a bullock-cart badged as Maruti will sell more numbers than a Ford or a VW. It shows the loyal customer base that Maruti has managed to acquire by fooling the customers. I remember when my dad insisted on buying a Wagon-R and i was dead against it. When we went to the showroom, i insisted on getting the one with ABS and Airbags to which the sales representative managed to convince my father that this is sheer waste of money. He even mentioned that in india there is no need for so much of saftey features in a car. 90% of the cars on road are without those features

Now this another piece of mix and match from the parts bin. Ultimately, Maruti also has to Justify the suppliers for Ignis by giving them something new which would at least help them break even. From rear it seems more like a redigo type of tail light and the front seats seem more inspired from Nano.
su1978 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Heartact platform is already very weak and add to that the Wagon body which is already very unstable.

All three parts of this statement are unsupported by any proof:
1. Heartact platform is already very weak ... Maruti says otherwise.
2. ...and add to that the Wagon body ... WagonR is NOT based on Heartech platform.
3. which is already very unstable... any supporting proof?

I can understand people's disappointment, but let it at least be based on fact. Else it will be like people opposing the Marrazzo as COTY just because of its manufacturer.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

This is clearly a ripple effect from the success of the new Santro Thanks to Hyundai for waking up Maruti and making them put in the 4 cylinder 1.2L engine on the Wagon R.

Now, as far the AMT is concerned, the AMT on the Santro is way too superior - I hope Maruti manages to come up with a smoother AMT as well

In the end due to all the competition, the end consumer is benefited...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks