Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:55   #181
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

With this pricing for k12 engine, Wagon R will canibalize the sales of Ignis, Swift and even Baleno!

It is faster, roomier and very practical, exactly what a hatchback buyer wants! Now why would the average Joe/Joel look for the pricier options?

Most swift/baleno/ignis petrol buyers will buy Wagon R ZXI now as it has more space and is a cheaper alternative.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:13   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
With this pricing for k12 engine, Wagon R will canibalize the sales of Ignis, Swift and even Baleno!
It is faster, roomier and very practical, exactly what a hatchback buyer wants! Now why would the average Joe/Joel look for the pricier options?
Most swift/baleno/ignis petrol buyers will buy Wagon R ZXI now as it has more space and is a cheaper alternative.
No Buddy, these days people are ready to pay premium to get a bigger more premium looking car. That's the reason why DZIRE is setting sales charts on fire, even first timers are buying it.

Remember,buying a car is an aspirational thing in India.
Hence I don't see WAGON R cannibalizing anything but IGNIS/Celerio.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:14   #183
Team-BHP Support

My only regret in my all of my car purchases was the MAruti Alto 800 in 2005. I could afford the WagonR but it didn't look cool enough when I had just landed a job. What I absolutely loved was that 1.1L 4 cylinder engine vs the really sad 800 engine in my Alto.

Moreover it was cramped at the back. Over the years, I started to like the WagonR more and more till they got the 1.0L 3 cylinder and I was terribly disappointed with the engine.

Now that it has the 1.2L K12 engine, this will be a brilliant car for a family looking at one car with everything. What an allrounder it has become with the K12 and the practicality of the WagonR.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd January 2019 at 23:38.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:17   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
No Buddy, these days people are ready to pay premium to get a bigger more premium looking car. That's the reason why DZIRE is setting sales charts on fire, even first timers are buying it.

Remember,buying a car is an aspirational thing in India.
Hence I don't see WAGON R cannibalizing anything but IGNIS/Celerio.
That was because these 3 cylinder cars were not comfortable to drive for everyone! So people thought about paying a premium for comfort and ease of use. Now that the creamy 4 cyl is again available in this segment, it will remain the first choice for most.

And I am specifically talking about hatchback buyers, and not entry level sedan buyers, there is a difference. ( Hatchbacks are bought for everyday use and abuse while budget sedans are bought for small family use, and similar typical scenarios).

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 23rd January 2019 at 20:18.
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:27   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Swift and Baleno sales figures are likely not to be affected by the WagonR. But cars like Celerio, Ignis, Tiago and Santro will be affected.

Ignis and Celerio are being readied for face-lifts and let us see what differentiation Maruti Suzuki would bring to ring fence their sales figures.

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd January 2019 at 20:47.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:55   #186
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you absolutely sure about this? I didn't see the average Joe shifting towards the Swift(from the Belno) when it was launched. The Swift comes with the same set of engines as the Baleno and is very spacious as well. Both of them have their own market. Heck, since the launch of the Swift, the Baleno's sales have actually increased on a month-to-month basis. Do remember that the Swift and the Baleno are much closer in terms of segmentation than the Baleno/Swift and the WagonR and even then minimal cannibalisation took place.

I didn't see the avergae Joel shifting towards the Ignis when it was launched. It was launched with the same set of engines as the Baleno and the Swift and contrary to how it may appear, it has decent space inside. But we all know how it fared in the market.

So the average Joe and the average Joel do not have only space and performance as their buying criteria but also the features on offer, style, safety etc. The WagonR is either average or poor in the before mentioned factors. Only the Celerio will be affected by this launch.

Last edited by AYP : 23rd January 2019 at 21:02.
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:16   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

The New WagonR and its peers - Price comparison!

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:11   #188
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Tata Ace of all the hatchbacks: very utilitarian. I think Wagon R's strengths lie elsewhere. I neither liked the exterior nor the interior. As boxy as it gets and not in a good way. I like the Japanese design which looked better. Ad is good, but the product ??

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 09:26. Reason: Translating last line to English so that broader audience can understand it :)
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:20   #189
Senior - BHPian

Have a feeling that 1.0 variants are more expensive than they should be. I'm not complaining as manufacturers are here to make profits. As said by many here, the 1.2 variants are a steal at 20k more.

High time that Baleno deserves a more powerful 1.2 NA petrol as a differentiator/premium option. Looks like Indian customers want reasonably powered hatchbacks.

Quote:
With this pricing for k12 engine, Wagon R will canibalize the sales.....
Maruti doesn't care as long the customer stays in the showroom or buys at Nexa.

Quote:
of Ignis, Swift and even Baleno!
It'll definitely eat into sales of the Celerio, maybe eat into sales of Ignis. Maruti will be glad that they are in different showrooms. The Swift and Baleno will go untouched.

Somehow, I think the Ignis will not really be touched. Imagine a man going into Nexa with this wife to buy a second/third car.

Wife/teenage daughter: "Can we check out that cute car(Ignis)? It looks really nice"
SA: "It also has an automatic option saar."
*Test drive*
*Deal is done*
In contrast, the WagonR might seem too utilitarian. Car purchases are made with the heart. Although this won't be the case every single time, I can totally imagine this happening with my dad and sister(if she was 18-20.)

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 09:28. Reason: Formatting
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:43   #190
e46
BHPian

I consider this LCI a much needed breath of life for the wagon. It looks much more pleasing to eye than the last 'blue eyed' iteration. It also brings back the 1.2 4 pot engine that the last one missed.

I consider this iteration to be the ideal successor and not the last one.

-Abhishek
Old 23rd January 2019, 23:36   #191
BHPian

Okay! I've looked at the pictures for the new WagonR a few times on a few different sites. Anyone else think this car is ugly? The outgoing generation of the WagonR looks nicer all around. This new one looks dated! The Japanese version looks nice and modern.

I understand looks are subjective, but I haven't seen a car that has turned me off this fast for a while (Toyota Qualis and Nissan Sunny perhaps?)
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 00:22   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Anyone else think this car is ugly?
The outgoing generation of the WagonR looks nicer all around. This new one looks dated! The Japanese version looks nice and modern.

I haven't seen a car that has turned me off this fast for a while
Feel the same.
Its a POOR Designing Job.
Old Model is much likeable and Sharp.

They have tried to Round up all the Sharp corners, and tamed its decent sharp Boxy design and disfigured it into a BORING Rounded One.
The Tail Lights look the Ugliest.

Unfathomable, in this Era of marvellous dazzling Designs all over ... just HOW could they develop such a Lousy Design for India's Favourite Family Car ??
Must have been Hell of an effort !

Last edited by JS Kwt : 24th January 2019 at 00:37.
Old 24th January 2019, 00:26   #193
BHPian

The current WagonR zxi amt shows close to 6.64 on-road Mumbai on cardekho (Pune pricing not available). The Ignis Delta amt is around 7.1 on-road when I last enquired 2 days back in Pune. The nexa sa was offering a 50k discount on this model (petrol automatic). So that brings the Ignis Delta amt and the WagonR Zxi amt on the same price level.
I guess a feature comparison between these two models is a must before buying.
Roughly, The WagonR gets fog lights, electrically folding rear view mirror, a touchscreen infotainment system, rear window wiper ,washer, defogger, smaller 14 inch tyres vs 15 inch on the ignis, bigger boot of 341 litres compared to 260 on the ignis.
The ignis is slightly bigger at 3700mm length vs 3655mm of the WagonR and 1690mm width vs 1620mm, but the WagonR is taller at 1675mm vs 1595mm of the ignis.

I'm not sure if the steering is the same on both. The cardekho feature list says the ignis gets an electrical steering while the WagonR gets a power steering.

Quite sure we can also fit a rear view camera that works with the touchscreen infotainment system as they've mentioned that its supported in their document (attached), page 88
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smartplay Studio Manual.pdf (11.63 MB, 681 views)

Last edited by oli.ferns : 24th January 2019 at 00:28.
oli.ferns is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 07:31   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

First Look video of the New WagonR, media drive is scheduled for next week!

7" touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and Navigation. Will come in more models of Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th January 2019 at 07:45.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 07:40   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
First Look WagonR, media drive is scheduled for next week!
Good one thanks for sharing! For a moment, the horn beneath the front grille close to the right head light looked like a front facing camera to me.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th January 2019 at 09:27. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks