Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 08:21   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

Just because of the 3 cylinder engine, I had to buy a Swift ZXi+, had this engine been available, I would not have to spend 3L+ for a city commuter. [But love the way the Swift drives].
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 08:59   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

Tachometer is actually a huge deal breaker for me and I would happily settle for a car which is slightly down on power and other features but provides me a tacho.
There is a Tachometer, not sure about which variant (guessing from VXI onwards)
Here is a screengrab of the instrument cluster from this video
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-6026130cb84e476085a148ec84873491.png  

pankajn1702 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:26   #198
Senior - BHPian

Picking the K12M over the K10B for 20k is a no-brainer. This is really unbelievable for a market like ours where slapping a variable geometry turbo over FGT costs much more! I will thank the Santro there - MSIL was left with no choice.

Guess, Maruti couldn't price the 1.2 any higher given there own products and the offers running through the segment currently. And they probably didn't want to alienate the loyal customers who vouch for the savings in fuel from the K10 engine.

Let's see how this goes. Maybe they will discontinue the K10 altogether if the volume is not substantial.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:42   #199
BHPian

I can recite a laundry list! The offering would have been more complete, had MarutiSuzuki incorporated the following

All black interior (except roof) or at least dark color seats instead of beige colored.
Adjustable head rest for all four passengers instead of integrated one.
Dual Airbags, both for driver and passenger across the models
Alloy wheels, at least with ZXi models.
Projector Headlamps in top models.
Leather wrapped steering wheel like Stingray model.
Bigger tyre radius?
More color option like metallic black, metallic coral white etc

And

More Assurance on Safety with some authentic crash test result!

May be MarutiSuzuki is keeping these options open for the next upgrade!
Old 24th January 2019, 09:51   #200
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajn1702 View Post
There is a Tachometer, not sure about which variant (guessing from VXI onwards)
When did I say that there is no tachometer in the WagonR?

And by the way, the Tachometer is only there in the ZXI variant.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:00   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Maybe they will discontinue the K10 altogether if the volume is not substantial.
They might not. General car buying populace thinks that a 3 cylinder engine which has lower cubic capacity will be more FE, it might be, but the same populace cares two hoots about drivability and torque low down. I am not even bringing in performance.

3 cylinder one might continue to sell more. Though I would be glad if it does not.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:08   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I can recite a laundry list! The offering would have been more complete, had MarutiSuzuki incorporated the following

All black interior (except roof) or at least dark color seats instead of beige colored.
Adjustable head rest for all four passengers instead of integrated one.
Dual Airbags, both for driver and passenger across the models
Alloy wheels, at least with ZXi models.
Projector Headlamps in top models.
Leather wrapped steering wheel like Stingray model.
Bigger tyre radius?
More color option like metallic black, metallic coral white etc

And

More Assurance on Safety with some authentic crash test result!

May be MarutiSuzuki is keeping these options open for the next upgrade!
Add to it-
A little more ground clearance.
And 2 more speakers.
BTW is there any provision for speakers in back doors.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:24   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
That was because these 3 cylinder cars were not comfortable to drive for everyone! So people thought about paying a premium for comfort and ease of use. Now that the creamy 4 cyl is again available in this segment, it will remain the first choice for most.
Yes its not comfortable at all at the bottom end. Specially with AC on. I drive the Estilo with has the same engine. No issues with space for me as we are just 2 people using it. Only if it had the 1.2L engine, I wouldn't have complained at all. But sadly can't part ways as its run only 36k kms in 8 years

Hopefully will complete 50k by the time BS VI norms kick in and go for a decent bigger hatch/C-Suv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
...General car buying populace thinks that a 3 cylinder engine which has lower cubic capacity will be more FE, it might be, but the same populace cares two hoots about drivability and torque low down...
Infact they barely check the specs for number of cylinders, rather concentrate on the ARAI FE figures. I remember back in 2010 when dad bought the Estilo in my hometown all they checked for was sitting height(dad and brother are 5'10"+), ARAI efficiency figure, EPS and power windows . Now I am using it in Bangalore since last 2 years extensively and have to deal with the lack of low end everyday in ORR(specially during 3-4PM return journey).

So with 1.2L available at a meager 20k premium, its a no-brainer really. I expect to see the 1.2L VXi flooding our streets pretty soon. And yes, expect to see discounts on the Santro soon.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th January 2019 at 10:29.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:37   #204
BHPian

Overall a good next gen model by Maruti. The rear looks are much refreshing with the very welcome increase in boot space. But to me, front does not look radically different than the outgoing model and almost looks same to a casual observer.

The existing Japanese model would have looked much more refreshing pictured below.

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-wagonr1.jpg
Old 24th January 2019, 10:55   #205
Senior - BHPian

Adding a screen grab of the tachometer in action. Looks like the Harrier has set the trend for the new funky styled tachos.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-wr-tacho.jpg  

Old 24th January 2019, 11:05   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True, but no one is looking for a soul or character when buying a WagonR. It is amongst the most practical hatchbacks in India. Like a boring + functional appliance. Those who own one swear by it. The car has a hugely loyal following. I have seen multiple owners who moved on from the 1st-gen to the 2nd, and are now waiting for the new launch.
So true. i have been living with one for 17.5 years, and was planning on the Ignis to replace it, because i did not want the lethargic 1.0 engine. Now that the 1.2 is here, it does bring the Waggie back into the picture.

However, we might still go for an Ignis or Tiago JTP, as all 5 in my family have got bored with the WagonR---it still drives like a charm though! But it's getting long in the tooth.

The thrills I get with my Fiesta 1.6 are inclining me to the Tiago JTP but as the Waggie replacement will be used mostly by wifey, I'll leave it to her to decide. Even a Santro will be on the radar. Only flipside is its poor low end grunt. But for that, it trumps the new 1.2 Waggie in all respects.

My retired brother is certainly going for the 1.2 WagonR though, to replace his 15-year old WagonR. He's 6'2" and stout, so no car suits him better than the Waggie. And he's a huge fan of it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:28   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
The existing Japanese model would have looked much more refreshing pictured below.
Likely to be positioned as a separate premium model, in an all-electric avatar -

Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs-img20181120wa0006.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4498236

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th January 2019 at 11:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:31   #208
BHPian

I see a simple strategy by Maruti to introduce the 1.2L as an option.

They definitely did not want to hike the prices and make WagonR seem like an expensive model (when compared to the Santro)

They're letting customers choose the 1.2L or 1.0L engine with a small price gap of Rs 20k.

Going forward with the upcoming BS6 Stage 1 (April 2020 ~) they're most likely to discontinue the 1.0L. Why ....

Simple: They will just have one 1.2L Petrol in Sub 4M models and it'll make sense in terms of economies of scale for Maruti.
I believe the cost of upgrading the current 1.0L engine will be high vis-a-vis the sales from this particular engine (WagonR, Celerio & Alto K-10)
Remember the Future S Concept: It too is likely to be offered with the 1.2L engine (link: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...in-2019-409882)

On similar lines, we can expect the next gen Celerio to be offered with the 1.2L when launched in 2020

It is likely the Future S will become the entry model from Maruti...since we're already seeing a shift in trend by buyers towards a higher segment (link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67633099.cms)
Old 24th January 2019, 11:40   #209
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

What is the power to weight ratio of the new WR 1.2 L ?

With such light weight construction, i expect pretty quick 0-100 timings on this car. Not that i recommend such speeds on this Maruti given the track record of poor safety ratings of Maruti cars in general.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:56   #210
BHPian

Our family has been using a 2010 Wagon R K10 VXI ABS as the primary car and all these years, the biggest drawbacks were -
1. A very weak engine for the highway especially
2. Lack of boot space
3. Lack of seating comfort for long distances
4. Safety concerns of a Maruti

So out of no where, my dad called me up today and asked me if I had taken a look at the New Wagon R and should we consider replacing ours with the new one, specifically citing reasons like the 1.2L engine, 340 L boot and my moms absolute love with its driving position and ease of use.

I was wondering, while I sit here and think of which Car seems more fun to drive and is aspirational, Maruti has hit the right bells to trigger this interest in almost all the Wagon R owners. It has all the basics that a small family with a budget needs. And me being not such a Maruti lover as they cannibalise on people’s trust in them with not going that forward in providing the best of things in their cars (fixed headrests, interior part quality, alloy wheels, concerns of crash test results that I personally have and am looking forward to), they so sure know the right spots to trigger the interest in the intended market segment. And that’s no easy feat.

We paid 4.7 lacs for our 2010 Wagon R VXI ABS on road. Now, the ZXI 1.2 costs 6 lacs. Benefits? Bigger boot, bigger space and bigger engine. (Just for a fun reference, the Ritz ZXI was 5.35 lacs on road in 2010)

Will I want to buy this? Not me personally but my parents? I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks