Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 08:09   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Maruti WagonR spied. Edit: Launched @ Rs. 4.19 lakhs

New WagonR drive reports,

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2019 at 08:15.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 08:28   #257
BHPian

Autocar first drive report
Old 31st January 2019, 09:14   #258
BHPian

Media Drive Reports

Zigwheels

AutoX

EvoIndia

CarBlogIndia

Cartoq

CarDekho Hindi

MotorOctane Hindi

Motoroids Hindi

Last edited by JS Kwt : 31st January 2019 at 09:43.
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 09:36   #259
Senior - BHPian

So Maruti has delivered another hit! I take back my words: the scoop image was 'drab' and misleading! It's one nice looking car, practical, feature rich, must give the 'Kitna deti hai' brigade happy and roomy too. With that K12 it has performance to boot. It's good that Maruti has given the automatic in the top most trim with the 1.2 engine:nice! That new touchscreen must be the talking point. I just love the customisation and accessories.

That said Santro must also have included the 1.2 in it's topmost trim, problem is the Hyundai 1.2 delivers much less fuel economy than my Honda City CVT. I've been taking my Honda City CVT and Grand i10 automatic (my sons) on the highway. I got an FE of 14.83 kmpl in my Honda City CVT and 13.74 kmpl in the Grand i10 automatic.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 31st January 2019 at 09:43.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:20   #260
BHPian

I have a second generation Dzire with the torque converter AT (just 4 gears). It gives me a mileage of 16 to 18 on the highways. The Suzuki 1.2 litre engine is fairly fuel efficient despite the old school torque converter. The city mileage is around 10.5. (All figures based on the fuel top up method and with the AC on all the time.)

PS: Since the focus these days is on safety and not mileage, I must say that this car has ABS and EBD, but no airbags.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post

That said Santro must also have included the 1.2 in it's topmost trim, problem is the Hyundai 1.2 delivers much less fuel economy than my Honda City CVT. I've been taking my Honda City CVT and Grand i10 automatic (my sons) on the highway. I got an FE of 14.83 kmpl in my Honda City CVT and 13.74 kmpl in the Grand i10 automatic.

Last edited by pradkumar : 31st January 2019 at 11:24.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:40   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post

PS: Since the focus these days is on safety and not mileage, I must say that this car has ABS and EBD, but no airbags.
But it misses the very basic factor for safety, a stable structure. Having ten airbags won’t help if the structure itself is compromised. So while considering the safety features one must first make sure that the manufacturer is offering a stable structure in the car first, everything comes after that.

Note: I am not saying you are wrong, wanted to share this by quoting those lines.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:52   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
But it misses the very basic factor for safety, a stable structure. Having ten airbags won’t help if the structure itself is compromised.
Couple of points -

1. Heartect platform is safer than the earlier platform. Assuming things remain same as the Swift, we 'might' be looking at 2 star rating for the top end version - which is much better than the zero start 'potential' (again a guess only) of the earlier car.

2. There is no tested option among direct competitors. Santro isn't tested, so is the Tiago. Grand i10 was a disppointment too in terms of crash structure.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:51   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Couple of points -

1. Heartect platform is safer than the earlier platform. Assuming things remain same as the Swift, we 'might' be looking at 2 star rating for the top end version - which is much better than the zero start 'potential' (again a guess only) of the earlier car.

2. There is no tested option among direct competitors. Santro isn't tested, so is the Tiago. Grand i10 was a disppointment too in terms of crash structure.
Didn't the earlier ZXi with airbags get a 3 star rating for the Indian model??

It was the LXi without the airbags which got Zero star rating. Body shell of previous gen Swift sold in India was rated as unstable too IIRC.

I am currently browing on mobile, hence not able to search properly. This was the video of the crash test of ZXi which was Made in India for the Latin market.

https://www.motorbeam.com/maruti-swi...sults-pending/

Last edited by Leoshashi : 31st January 2019 at 13:55.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:54   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Didn't the earlier ZXi with airbags get a 3 star rating for the Indian model??
I was talking about the WagonR and it's competitors, not Swift.

Earlier generation WagonR was not based on the same platform as the Swift, as is the case with the new generation. So the Swift part is relevant only to current generation.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2019 at 13:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:57   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about the WagonR and it's competitors, not Swift.

Earlier generation WagonR was not based on the same platform as the Swift, as is the case with the new generation.
Oops, my bad! I misread your "zero star potential" comment and thought it was with respect to the earlier swift.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 14:47   #266
BHPian

I presume there has been some kind of embargo in place that lifted at 8AM this morning, that all the reviews have hit youtube just after that time.
The reviews (youtube links in the posts above) are however mostly sounding similar to each other with all praises for the car.

While the list of pros is huge, a few of the comparison related cons mentioned included:
1) Ignis is a better buy than WagonR ZXi variant
2) Santro seems better put together - offering a more composed ride experience, lesser NVH and a more premium interior.
3) 1000cc variant is a better buy as compared to the 1200cc one!

As I currently am looking to get a car in this (easily maneuverable in the city) segment, was looking forward to know about aspects such as:
1) Alloy wheels are available as accessory. What does fitting alloys do to the weight of the car and the ride? (Assuming looks are not important for WagonR buyers)
2) Will fitting a rear view camera as accessory be compatible with the 7 inch "Smartplay Studio" to see the rear camera display?
3) How does the AGS of the WagonR compare with the Santro's AMT?
4) Front air con vent blowing cold air onto the drivers hands/face which cannot be diverted/closed continues to be a design flaw - is this related to the platform?
5) Are roof-rails not available even as accessory?
6) The useful cup-holders in front from the previous version is no longer available in this version - is that due to safety/concerns?
7) Only 2 speakers are available in total - fitted onto the rear doors, and sound quality is called out as being not too good. How many additional speakers can be 'naturally' fitted in as accessories (without losing too much space / being out of sight)

Quote:
Looks like a Xylo from rear to my eyes.
PS: Yes, 'to my eyes' too, the WagonR now looks even more similar to the old Xylo, both being designed with form following function.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 18:55   #267
BANNED

Quote:
Couple of points -

I was mentioning a stable structure as a basic requisite of safety through my comment. As you said, Heartect may be safer than old platform, but the structure is still not stable. But they have the Suzuki TECT body to make it stable. Distinguishing premium and non-premium cars on the basis of stable and non-stable structure seems so weird to me.
Old 31st January 2019, 19:12   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was mentioning a stable structure as a basic requisite of safety through my comment. As you said, Heartect may be safer than old platform, but the structure is still not stable. But they have the Suzuki TECT body to make it stable. Distinguishing premium and non-premium cars on the basis of stable and non-stable structure seems so weird to me.
Believe every manufacturer is doing that, and is not going to change unless government regulations force everyone to upgrade themselves into a higher price range. It's not 'weird' - it is about economics of ending up pricing yourself out of the game. Same reason why TATA got the Nexon upgraded but is silent about Tiago, Hyundai shows clear double standards for their premium (Creta upwards) range and cheaper (i20 below) range etc.

None of the competition does it at this segment and price. Incase you haven't noticed - Ignis doesn't sell. WagonR can't ask, and no one will pay a big premium over the likes of Santro and Grand i10 - for safety structure. Simple fact is - Indians are not willing to pay for safety.

PS: I hope TATA takes another bold move with the Tiago. Someone has to take an initiative and force others to follow.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2019 at 19:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 20:35   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift's take on the New WagonR,

Old 1st February 2019, 10:16   #270
BHPian

After going through all the reviews I am disappointed with the new Wagon R. Simply because Maruti instead of making the car premium has watered it down. It might click with masses but as a Wagon R owner for 8 years, I wouldn't have bought this car as an upgrade / replacement. We loved the Wagon R for it's merits. It had it's flaws too. The points below are from purview of an existing owner and his expectations from the new generation.

What Wagon R gains:

+ 1.2 L 4 cylinder engine.
+ New smart play studio system
+ Zxi badge because of above two
+ More cabin and boot space
+ Better road manners and ride quality
+ Electrically foldable and adjustable mirrors with turn indicators.
+ Standard ABS, driver airbag and rear parking sensors (only two)
+ Steering wheel from Ignis with controls for audio and phone.

What Wagon R lost which was present in Vxi variant and now missing even from Zxi variant:

- Front and Rear adjustable headrests. The seats scream c-he-a-p.
- Front passenger under seat removable basket. Now has tray.
- Dual glove box (added in 2014 refresh)
- Roof rails
- Cup holders in front of ac vents in dashboard
- Door protection beading (factory fitted)
- Folding hand grips in cabin, now replaced by fixed type with exposed screws.
- Multi bulb HMSL integrated in boot door now a single one placed inside rear windscreen.
- Rear fog lamp
- Decent sized ORVMS
- Back seat pocket.

What could have been better or provided in ZXI:

- Rear camera. When reverse gear is engaged it shows the back of swift on touch screen
- Pull type door handles instead of flap type door handles
- Height adjustable seat belts
- Rear AC vents as the front center ones continue with the odd design and placement
- Standard body coloured mud flaps
- Flippy key. The current one is outdated.
- Stingray used to come with projector headlamps, leather covered steering wheel and gunmetal finish alloy wheels. Why they are not there in top end variant?
- Customization kits are there but they have to be paid extra in addition to the pricey zxi variant.
- No firewall insulation in engine bay.
- Fatter tyres on ZXI variant
- Full front and rear wheel well insulation.

Maruti had the opportunity to pit this as a worthy premium and VFM competitor to Santro. This will sell no doubt but Maruti chose cost cutting and mix match of components over that.

Last edited by PraNeel : 1st February 2019 at 10:37.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks