Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2007, 11:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Finally the Sonata gets the much wanted deserved CRDi unit. The price seems very tempting and the car will surely be pretty fuel efficient as well. As mentioned by others the Laura sales will definately take a hit. Hyundai has a reputation of good service better than Skoda anyday plus spares will also be cheaper

I think Hyundai has a winner on its hands here
Old 13th January 2007, 11:18   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so is it 120 bhp for 14 lakhs or 104 bhp for 19 lakhs... no brainer
Which Skoda is 120bhp?
Old 13th January 2007, 11:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Personally , I kind of hate Korean cars but I gotta admit they have been launching sensational engines as far was Indians are concerned and because of them others were forced to bring their latest tech. diesel trannys into India . A very commendable Job indeed !
Old 13th January 2007, 14:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the Skoda.....so is it 120 bhp for 14 lakhs or 104 bhp for 19 lakhs... no brainer
Very true,in fact i reminds me of a friend who sold his Octavia Vrs for a laura and now he is asking ME why Skoda has taken so much money and for what!!!

It seems at the present moment that sonata diesel is tremendous VFM.
Old 13th January 2007, 15:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Personally , I kind of hate Korean cars but I gotta admit they have been launching sensational engines as far was Indians are concerned and because of them others were forced to bring their latest tech. diesel trannys into India . A very commendable Job indeed !
On the engines side yes they are aggressive, with good diesels year after year, where as the treatment of their employees is concerned, we have heard bad stories about their plants on this forum, which is definitely nothing but high handedness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Finally the Sonata gets the much wanted deserved CRDi unit. The price seems very tempting and the car will surely be pretty fuel efficient as well. As mentioned by others the Laura sales will definately take a hit. Hyundai has a reputation of good service better than Skoda anyday plus spares will also be cheaper

I think Hyundai has a winner on its hands here
I also understand there is an automatic version of the embera, is this true?
Old 13th January 2007, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yep the Embera does have an auto model in petrol. I dont know whether they will offer that option on the CRDi
Old 13th January 2007, 15:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

SKODA needed to be taught a lesson on pricing of their cars... I hope this car is a hit with the indian customers and give skoda sleepless nights.
Way to go hyundai.
Old 13th January 2007, 15:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

The specs sound really good. This should be a nice car to drive. I hope it becomes a hit. Till now Skoda have enjoyed a monopoly.

They haven't stripped the car of any features for the diesel.

It's actually better equipped than the accord.

Now that they have put the 2L engine inside this they have no other option but to detune this engine and plonk it in the forthcoming Elantra.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th January 2007 at 15:48.
Old 13th January 2007, 15:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
On the engines side yes they are aggressive, with good diesels year after year, where as the treatment of their employees is concerned, we have heard bad stories about their plants on this forum, which is definitely nothing but high handedness.
But nobody has come up with any proof to support such "bad stories" against hyundai. If i remember correctly, there was someone who volunteered to unearth the truth in the story, but no information till now...
Old 13th January 2007, 16:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
They will scoop the upmarket taxi segment for sure and put the accord/camry out of business over there
Also depends on the ECGC benefits they get Ajmat. Remember the Camry (atleast the old one) was available to them at around 10L due to the duty relief!
Old 13th January 2007, 16:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

ishan is right on that note. Hotels, he five star ones that is atleast in Mumbai all have fleets of Camrys. Is the Embera a CKD or CBU? If the Embera is 14.75 lakhs and is a CBU, with EPCG benefits, the price will be lower.
Old 13th January 2007, 20:30   #27
BHPian

Another news from Hyundai is that they are going to launch the globally successful Santa Fe in India. Well Hyundai is attacking................
Old 14th January 2007, 00:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I read somewhere that from 2008 Hyundai does not want to be recognized as a manufacturer of low cost cars and therefore will up prices of all its models starting in Europe; this to sidestep the even lower cost Chinese autos expected to debut then. Slightly off-topic but then Indian buyers might want to consider good Hyundais like this Embera diesel much before 2008 itself.
If you study the history of Japanese vehicles, post world war II, they had a global image not too different than that of Korean vehicles in recent years.

The early designs of the japanses cars were as wierd, potpurri hotch potch as the Korean cars we see today. It was only by the 70s that Honda, Toyota etc realised their design philosophies and respective styles.

Hyundai is on the upswing with their recent designs, the Getz, the Embera and the Verna. On opening up an Embera, we found some very interesting door build techniques that we have only seen on Porsche and Bentley cars.

Companies often use product pricing to position themselves strategically. Why else do you think Toyota refuses to sell the Camry at anywhere close to what the Honda Accord sells for. Toyota has smartly chosen to be the more expensive option available, creating an impression (deserved, IMHO) of exclusivity and better quality. While they may lose current sales to Honda, it is part of their strategy to be the largest car manufacturer in India.

Hyundai have also attempted this strategy in the past but with the wrong products. Then thay have had to eat crow and give big discounts. Something tells me they will now attempt to get themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into by increasing prices and introducing better cars, thus changing (or an attempt to, atleast) customer perception. In fact, their strategy is slowly changing the American mindset against Korean cars and the media has started responding to their products.

The Koreans think of the Japs as their direct competition and it may only be a matter of time before Korean cars share the stage with the Japs.

Last edited by gunbir : 14th January 2007 at 00:20.
Old 14th January 2007, 00:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Now that they have put the 2L engine inside this they have no other option but to detune this engine and plonk it in the forthcoming Elantra.
Yup - they have VGT and non-VGT versions of all engines. I guess the Elantra will get an engine with regular (non-VG) turbo that turns out something like 125 bhp.
Old 14th January 2007, 00:50   #30
Team-BHP Support

Compared to Embera the Octavia is a small car with much lesser room inside. Infact, indica is more spacious than the octavia!
Now finally there is a diesel D segmenter which has enought space for tall people to sit comfortably at the back seat without needing the front ones to keep their feet on the dash.
And the engine is definately a gem. At 142BHP it will do a verna in the D segment space in terms of performance.

Most Viewed