Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th August 2019, 21:27   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 7th-gen BMW 3-Series launch by mid-2019 EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 41.40 lakhs

3RILL Spotted in 330i guise at Trivandrum ,only wish if BMW India could have come up with a Wrap befitting an otherwise Sporty looking car.
Attached Thumbnails
7th-gen BMW 3-Series launch by mid-2019 EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 41.40 lakhs-20190826_131005.jpg  

Old 27th August 2019, 00:23   #62
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 7th-gen BMW 3-Series launch by mid-2019 EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 41.40 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It is really disappointing to see that BMW will not be offering the 340i to us. BMW as a brand is always the enthusiasts' choice but this is not the way you treat enthusiasts. If Mercedes and Audi can bring in their C43s and S5s, why can't BMW offer the 340i? Bring in a CBU if need be. Heck, even Skoda brought in the VRS and it did rather well. I am not ready to buy the argument that there is no market for it. If I am an existing 3 series owner looking to upgrade, I would get really excited about a 340i xDrive than the same old 530i.
Took the words right out of my mouth, there!

Mercedes has a full range of fun playthings under 1 crore. The GLA 45 AMG, the CLA 45 AMG, the C43 AMG, the GLC 43 AMG. I'm sure the GLE 43 also hovers around the crore mark. Mercedes will also sell you a fast diesel C Class (C300d with the AMG kit) if I'm not wrong.

Audi has always had the S4 and S5 Sportback, and the new S5 Sportback is quite a nice car.

It's a wonder why BMW has refused to join the party with something like the 335i - 340i (when the F30 was in full swing). They had that pretty good looking GrandCoupe version they could have brought to the market. But they didn't.

The big yawning gap between the 330i and the M3 / M4 is a large one that deserves a straight Six 3er, in my opinion.

It's possible they believe the M2 Competition fills that void sufficiently, but what's wrong with a few more options?

I think it's a missed opportunity, because there are people who would buy it. I see more than a handful C43s and S5 Sportbacks around town. Surely there would be takers for the 340i.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 09:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
As usual the SA was making up facts. Check out the official brochure -

https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...ury%20Line.pdf
Thanks for sharing the brochure. I knew the SA was just talking nonsense but didn't expect it to be to this extent. There was no Sport for display or TD. Only 330i for display and 320d luxuryline for TD hence i could not compare them. Also did not ask for brochure or go into details as I have no plans of upgrading anytime soon and even if I did the 3er unfortunately doesn't suit the family requirements right now.
Old 27th August 2019, 20:37   #64
BHPian

Default 7th-gen BMW 3-Series launch by mid-2019 EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 41.40 lakhs

Test drove the 320d today. Very very sprightly, just took off, but the buzzer at 80 and 120 was irritating.

Also found the new I drive controls next to gear lever a bit confusing compared to old method of I drive and even the parking P button was not located properly, instead of having it on the head of the control like previous modes it was below and felt like an ergonomic flaw.

I think it's a better choice than the C. Some plastic bits could've been better especially new idrive plastic buttons.

Last edited by M00M : 27th August 2019 at 20:38.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 16:43   #65
BHPian

We experienced the 330i M sport at the range shoot on a Saturday in the blandest of greys like they want non-car people to miss it, and then both the Estoril blue 320d and a 330i were doing duty the next day at another generations shoot that one may have seen on social media.
The M sport alloys are better looking than the ones on the 320d.

The G20 is larger than the F30. And has quite a presence. The grille may not 3rill but is not an eyesore, can get used to it, eventually. The grill slats open up when in use, and one can see the X shaped steel safety reinforcement bars which should be less shiny and discreet.

Is really quick in both specs that we drove.
Superb feel of the materials. Richer and more premium looking inside.

The large screen showing customisable information is great. Gesture control on the 330i is cool, will need time to get used to. Though while driving I could not be bothered by accessories. The car itself is involving!

Steering is slightly better in terms of feel and feedback, (and for me anyway it’s a huge jump from my hydraulic steering), as compared to the F30.

Rear passenger vents are useful.
Rear seats are quite adequate and usable. And in typical BMW style, are firm and not sofa-like.

Boot remains the last thought on the designer and engineer’s minds. It’s about half of what I would expect from a car of this size. Airport and other pick up duties are out of the double glazed windows and you can tell your family to take a cab and no one will think you are shirking your duties. I was as shocked as I was when I went for the 5er launch, and was peering into the nooks and crannies for some space to stow luggage.

Like mentioned earlier, the parking button is not the most ergonomic placement, and what I saw in terms of colours, either too boring or just nothing new to make heads turn.

A fresh palette for the G20 would have matched an overall good package that BMW India has put together for our market.

Overall, I would say it certainly looks moolah that one will fork out. It has that snazz!
Automaton is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 17:22   #66
BHPian

Did anyone miss the deletion/ omission of the retractable sun blinds on the rear screen and the windows of the G20. I think it is a pretty big miss in the feature list as I would hate to buy and fix those cheap chinese magnetic sun shades on a car that i paid 50L+ to buy. Also considering the F30 had one on the rear screen at least and all other cars from the same segment and even lower now have this very important feature for a country like India where the sun and the government rules can both be very unforgiving. Surprisingly no media reviews have covered this.
vvb8530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 19:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Did anyone miss the deletion/ omission of the retractable sun blinds on the rear screen and the windows of the G20. I think it is a pretty big miss in the feature list as I would hate to buy and fix those cheap chinese magnetic sun shades on a car that i paid 50L+ to buy. Also considering the F30 had one on the rear screen at least and all other cars from the same segment and even lower now have this very important feature for a country like India where the sun and the government rules can both be very unforgiving. Surprisingly no media reviews have covered this.
Totally unforgivable for any manufacturer these days to omit features from its older generation. It is the norm to add more and more. Besides the 3 ain't cheap. Its as much as the 5 series F10 when it was launched and some more. We can get a discounted 5 series to the price of the current 3.

BMW & their rivals really have to think their strategy through especially when new mfg like KIA & MG are upping the game in their respective segment. It feels BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar are still stuck with their earlier mindset.

I remember the bells & whistles used to trickle down from the high end cars to the normal cars. Now the mass-market cars have really raised the bar.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2019 at 20:37. Reason: Spacing
Old 30th August 2019, 08:09   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sport is really a renamed Prestige from F30 days. It missed out on so much kit - smaller idriver, Apple CarPlay, Ambient Lighting, New Digital Dash, Leather upholstery. Totally worth the premium being charged given the overall scheme of things.
In my opinion the Sport is the ideal BMW – not too glossy like the Luxury line and huge price difference with the M-Sport. It doesn’t skip on any safety aspect; effectively a no-frills machine
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 09:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In my opinion the Sport is the ideal BMW – not too glossy like the Luxury line and huge price difference with the M-Sport. It doesn’t skip on any safety aspect; effectively a no-frills machine
Unfortunately the concept of a "no-frills" machine with a 50L price tag is a bit alien to me :-)

Sport/Prestige variant is good only probably for Hotels etc. Their resale value is quite poor as well compared to higher variants.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 09:57   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately the concept of a "no-frills" machine with a 50L price tag is a bit alien to me :-)

Sport/Prestige variant is good only probably for Hotels etc. Their resale value is quite poor as well compared to higher variants.
What I mean is, it is an option for someone who enjoy the drive and driver connect without compromising on safety and all the necessities (frills / necessities definitions do vary from person to person).
And it not as stripped down as what the Prestige option used to be. Happy to miss ambient lighting/welcome light carpet, slightly bigger iDrive and loads of chrome for sporty all-black interiors and neat analogue instrument cluster
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 13:02   #71
BHPian

Took a spin on the new 330i for quite a long distance yesterday (at Nice road Bengaluru - a good stretch for testing).

While the engine sounds great and is very fast and all, somehow I felt Jag XE is better in terms of grip and braking. The sales guy said 0-100 and 100-0 are better in 330i though.

The steering felt quite light in normal modes, while well weighed at Sports+. Not sure if I am the only one crying about not having a CD-player

And they should have given HUD, now it is apparently not even in the options list as of now. Also in Black colour, the car looks great.

I am eagerly waiting for our official review to make a decision. 61L onroad is quite a lot of money, while the guys are offering 530D Msport at 75L

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th September 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Spacing for improved readability / typo
RakishRam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 10:40   #72
BHPian

Test drove the 330i the other day. Being a current owner of a 3 series (f30). At first I felt like I was driving a Hyundai with the light steering and dead feel at low speeds.

However, it all changes when you put your foot down. It is like the car turns into a missile and the steering tightens up giving you the same old 3er feel.

Overall, I just loved it end to end, until I saw the price. It is 57 Lacs on road in Delhi.

The SA kept telling me that there won't be any discounts any time soon and it'll probably outsell 5 even at this hefty price.

I am currently looking to exchange my F30 for the new 330i. However, I am wondering how deep they would discount it later on.

I mean it won't feel nice if I buy it at 57 Lacs and shortly after they push they usual deep discounts amounting to 10-12 Lacs.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 16:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I mean it won't feel nice if I buy it at 57 Lacs and shortly after they push they usual deep discounts amounting to 10-12 Lacs.
The SA would say that they wont dole out discounts on the 330i but they usually and always do some months down the line. At 57 on road, it is very expensive and damn close to 530i after discounts which is a lovely car in its own right. Bmw would start discounting the 3 after this initial hoopla dies down.

Why don't you go and check out the 530i, its a much better upgrader over F30 in terms of space, refinement, interior quality etc. Has so many nice to have features like display key, adaptive suspension, harman kardon system, 360 camera and also its a class above the 3 series which would show up overall. Have a test drive and explore the drive, features and overall quality of the 5.

May not be as fun to drive but do have a test drive of 5 as well, am sure you and your family would appreciate the car, i personally would not shell out 57 for a 3 series right now knowing they would start heavy discounts some where down the line.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 17th September 2019 at 16:49.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post

I am eagerly waiting for our official review to make a decision. 61L onroad is quite a lot of money, while the guys are offering 530D Msport at 75L
Surprising how prices are on this crazy upward spiral. I got my G30 530i exactly two years ago at the same price. Granted it was a sportline model, but had many features the 330i does not have, like dynamic dampers, gesture controls etc.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th September 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Typo in quoted post
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Why don't you go and check out the 530i, its a much better upgrader over F30 in terms of space, refinement, interior quality etc. Has so many nice to have features like display key, adaptive suspension, harman kardon system, 360 camera and also its a class above the 3 series which would show up overall. Have a test drive and explore the drive, features and overall quality of the 5.

Thanks for this input coolboy. A part of me just can't get over the bland looking front of the new 5. It just isn't exciting enough somehow.

But I'll still take a test drive and see how it performs. No questions on the extensive feature list though.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed