Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2007, 17:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

GM planning to bring CORSA range back???

Heard this from my friend who owns an Opel Corsa (and Civic too)... He got the news from the dealers, when he went to give car for servicing...

The dealers have told that GM is considering bringing the Corsa range back... Corsa had a small market (though not huge sales)... GM had discontinued corsa in the wake of good sales of tavera, and for the new Aveo sedan and hatch...

However, the sales of tavera's have come down, and the Aveo/ U-VA combination is also not working wonders for GM... So, its planning to bring back the Corsa, with some exterior modifications... To add to their range of products...

I personally feel that even if corsa comes back, the 1.6 wont... It may be just the 1.4 playing younger brother to the Aveo... Like the ikon 1.3/ fiesta combination... It was a car with very good build quality, and suspension provided better ride than cars segments above...

Any news on this???

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th January 2007 at 17:02.
Old 14th January 2007, 17:30   #2
BHPian

I heard from NDTV interview GM as not even have the capacity to produce 25000 per year for U/VA and the new Factory has just started to construct.
i think it will take 1 or 2 year. Gm has Only one aim is to bring "Spark"

[quote=CrAzY dRiVeR;3The dealers have told that GM is considering bringing the Corsa range back... Corsa had a small market (though not huge sales)... GM had discontinued corsa in the wake of good sales of tavera, and for the new Aveo sedan and hatch...
[/quote]
Old 14th January 2007, 17:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont know much details about GM india,but doubt whether GM would be contemplating such a move[Bringing back opel corsa].

It just does not make sense,Its not that Gm does not have sufficient products in the market,too many products in around the same segment can be an overkill.Besides what is the guarantee that the opel corsa would be accepted by people now.GM rather build better dealer infrastructre and they will have a lot more customers.

If the tavera sales figures have indeed taken a hit I feel ,GM would/should rework on the Tavera[am really suprised to hear that its sales figures have dropped,was it more of the december effect or was it a quarter to quarter sales figure analysis].The Tavera should either go up-market[innova competetor] or should be stripped down further and take on the sumo etc.
Old 14th January 2007, 17:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Corsa wont be bought back. What the dealer would have perhaps implied - we all know their communication skills, is that the Opel brand would be reinstated; the difference this time being GM plans to tackle only the premium sedan segment and above with the Opel marque. Chevrolet is here to stay and denote all things in the affordable segments.

Last edited by theMAG : 14th January 2007 at 17:41.
Old 14th January 2007, 17:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

the opel name wont come back for sure. Dealers are very good in fooling customers to make them feel happy.
They themselves seldom have clue about forthcoming models.
We here at t-bhp are more informed.
If you go and ask the GM guy about the optra diesel or the captiva he is going to blink.
Old 14th January 2007, 18:13   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GM India has a lot more constructive things to think about, than waste time on a dud.
Old 14th January 2007, 18:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Corsa wont be bought back. What the dealer would have perhaps implied - we all know their communication skills, is that the Opel brand would be reinstated; the difference this time being GM plans to tackle only the premium sedan segment and above with the Opel marque. Chevrolet is here to stay and denote all things in the affordable segments.
GM has made it very clear that they wont bring Opel back... was in an interview two months back...
Old 14th January 2007, 18:54   #8
BHPian

I doubt that GM would bring back corsa under Opel brand, reason being as mentioned above by crazydriver. Chevrolet is here to replace Opel..
Old 14th January 2007, 21:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

well if GM do plan to come out with the corsa for whatever reason...they better have major changes made to that model or forget getting the car back...
Old 14th January 2007, 21:42   #10
BHPian

GM is not bringing back the Corsa but is mulling reinstating the Opel brand in the niche sector.

More details at:
The Hindu News Update Service
Old 14th January 2007, 22:21   #11
BHPian

Who said Tavera's sales were down?

Quote:
However, the sales of tavera's have come down, and the Aveo/ U-VA combination is also not working wonders for GM...
Hey! just wanted to know where you got this info from? If you have any statistics and the source, can you please give me the links. What you have mentioned is news to me! I'm checking it up with my people too. In fact, Tavera clocked record sales in Sept'2006!

I have been told GM did really well in the last quarter of 2006. From indiadaily.com "General Motors India today reported 19.4 per cent sales growth in December 2006 at 2,583 units against 2,163 units in the same month a year ago. The company sold 1,517 units of Chevrolet Tavera, 759 units of Chevrolet Aveo and 307 units of Chevrolet Optra, GMI said in a statement."
Link: IndiaDaily - GM India December sales up 19.4 pc

Another source reports: "General Motors India has registered a 9 per cent growth in September 2006 as compared to the same period last year. GM India sold 3,506 units in September 2006 as against 3,220 cars in the same month last year to record a growth of 9 per cent in monthly sales. The September 2006 sales comprise of 2,222 units of Chevrolet Tavera, 421 units of Chevrolet Optra and 863 units of Chevrolet Aveo.
Chevrolet Tavera achieved a landmark by clocking its highest monthly sales of 2,222 units marking a 39 per cent year on year growth over September 2005 where it sold 1600 units"

Link: domain-B : Indian business : GM India sales jump 9 per cent in September led by Chevrolet Tavera

domain-B : Indian business : GM India increases sales in July '06

domain-B : Indian business : GM India reports 66 per cent YoY sales growth in April 06

Last edited by adya33 : 15th January 2007 at 17:46.
Old 14th January 2007, 23:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
GM is not bringing back the Corsa but is mulling reinstating the Opel brand in the niche sector.

More details at:
The Hindu News Update Service
Thank you! Thats the article I was trying in vain to locate
Old 15th January 2007, 00:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil3456 View Post
Hey! just wanted to know where you got this info from? If you have any statistics and the source, can you please give me the links. What you have mentioned is news to me! I'm checking it up with my people too. In fact, Tavera clocked record sales in Sept'2006!
Thats nice!!!

Sorry... i just reported what i heard... Thank you for pointing that out...

But... If you dont mind, shall i point something out??? The 1517 units of Tavera is impressive, but the more expensive Innova did 3090 units in Nov06, almost twice the figure... (sorry as i dont have dec 06 stats...)
Old 15th January 2007, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats nice!!!

Sorry... i just reported what i heard... Thank you for pointing that out...

But... If you dont mind, shall i point something out??? The 1517 units of Tavera is impressive, but the more expensive Innova did 3090 units in Nov06, almost twice the figure... (sorry as i dont have dec 06 stats...)
I agree.. Innova might have sold more. But, there was no comparison with the Innova at all in the 1st place! It was just mentioned that the sales are down!!! I just pointed out that sales were up and the sales hit a record high in Sept'06.. I did not compare Tavera's sales to any other vehicle's sales either!

Anyways, thats fine. At GM everyone is trying to fight out these kind of mis-quotings and the wrong perceptions that people have about the company in India & abroad. GM is learning and heading in the right direction. A major chunk of the feedback I have got from this site has been really helpful and Im trying to ensure that it reaches the right people.

One such article on the perceptions:

How Americans Can Buy American
Old 15th January 2007, 12:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Even if they bring it, people would say its an Indica copy!
Kind of ladies car in UK.

Most Viewed