Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: "A Tale" of similar tail-lamps

Just that the designers are running out of options. No matter whatever design they come up with, there is already something similar out there in market. It's about time manufacturers bring back those classy round/square headlamps/taillamps to mainstream passenger cars. I would also like to see pop-up headlights!
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope to see both these cars soon on the Indian roads with a similar looking tail lamp!

The new 2018 Duster
"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-maxresdefault.jpg

Jeep Renegade
"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-taillights.jpg

Image source- Google.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd January 2019 at 19:25.
Samba is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

It is more of a design evolution that causes/necessiates such shrinkings. These days the designers are trying to make the vehicle sit squat and broad. In order to achieve this the grill has to be enlarged and lights become thin and wide.

Also, the updates in lighting technology such LEDs has provided the designers with more freedom to play around thin designs.

The next trend is already taking shape. See Harrier and the recent Hyundais where the headlight is moved further down and the bonnet crease line is ornamented with DRLs and turn indicators. That makes it even thinner and squat even lower.

Probably it would wise to discuss the general trend of vehicle design rather than trying to discuss the individual details like lights etc. As mentioned here by some members, a lots of design ideas are looking similar between manufacturers now a days. One reason being, the same designer moving over to another organisation and showing his trademark designs there too. Also, currently the upcoming chinese automanufacturers are scavenging every possible German automotive engineer they can and hence the soon to come cars from china will bear a lot of European resemblence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
.. I would also like to see pop-up headlights!
You can forget it. Due to the pedastrian safety regulations, this will never make a come back ever again!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 3rd January 2019 at 20:16.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
You can forget it. Due to the pedastrian safety regulations, this will never make a come back ever again!
Actually, they can do pop-down now. All cars now have eyebrows, why not have drop-down eyes for headlamps?
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Maybe someone can now open threads on "similar grilles" or "similar headlamps", or for that matter, similar ORVM and windscreen shapes?
That's too complicated. Let's start with similar shaped steering wheels.
AMG Power is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I observe car designs and their evolution quite closely. The statements of X car looks like Y car have been played over and over, even the best designers do not argue about their creations being ripped off, because in cars you canNOT patent external shapes. Well Luc Donckerwolke had called out Lincoln in the past for ripping the Bentley external shape completely for their Continental model, heck they even copied the Bentley name of Continental, but its not like he can sue them for doing so.

https://jalopnik.com/the-bentley-des...tin-1709110291

Overall the industry in general has some design similarities as below, and has become a standard in the past 5 years :

1) The hood parting is moved away from the grille by 3-4 inches, as safety standards evolved, this is so that the bumper can take the impact in case of one and reduce the pressure on the hood and prevent it from folding in.

2) Fog lamps have been mostly, eliminated

3) Reflectors are placed lower down the rear bumper to increase vision at night.

4) Black housing around the rear reflectors are a new norm as the black can contrast with the red and the car is much more visible.

5) Small rear-lamps have mostly, given way to 3 stage or dual stage lamps which spread out on to the boot door, increasing visibility.

As far as the Lexus-BMW rear tail-lamp similarity goes, one can argue that BMW was the one to first create the 2-stage, L - shaped lamps before Lexus began doing do, except Lexuses have a more straight L and have a single slat display compared to BMW's 3 slat display.

One can keep going on and on about how BMW's look more Audi-ish today and how VW's look more BMW-ish today, how Hyundai's take inspiration from past Germanic designs or how original the Mercedes is, it doesn't matter. Lexuses started out copying Mercedes line for line and today all Japanese cars look like each other. What matters is that the buyer likes the design and that's the end of that. Everyone is guilty of taking inspiration, and there isn't much to be guilty about when doing so, either. The straight rip-offs that Chinese car makers do? Well I draw the line there but that shouldn't matter either.

As has been said already, N number of threads can be made on this topic, but are were really here to split hairs or do we just buy what we like and remain happy and content in our little bubble? I'd rather do the latter.

Last edited by dark.knight : 3rd January 2019 at 21:58.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:48   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Nice thread

I think most headlamp and tail lamp shapes of modern designs are such that the lamp assembly shape is wider on the outer edge and thinner on the inner edge - this is to create an optical illusion of the vehicle having more width than it actually has. Another similar trick used is to make the shape of the head/tail lamps thinner (height) and 'wrap-around' the corners of the body frame - the widening effect is enhanced. Even the tall christmas tree vertical designs, are placed at the outermost edge and often wrap around generously to the sides.

PS : I love the tail lamps of the linea - its against this convention and the inner width is higher than outer width

Last edited by venkyhere : 4th January 2019 at 16:53.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if it's just me or someone else has also noticed this similarity

Volvo S90
"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-images-4.jpeg

And the new Amaze
"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-xhondaamazerearendprofile1517976383.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.5nzxasmbkq.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th January 2019 at 17:10.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I don't know if it's just me or someone else has also noticed this similarity

Volvo S90
Attachment 1833560

And the new Amaze
Attachment 1833565
Add Honda Accord 2019 as well to your list.

Image Source: Google
Attached Thumbnails
"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-honda-accord-rear.jpg  

deep_behera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
The newly launched Maruti Ertiga and Honda CRV also have similar tail lamps. Then we have Tata Tiago and Ford Figo. For some reason, I also find the tail lamps of third-gen Swift and Toyota Liva to be quite similar!

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the both tail lamps was... Volvo. Look again, you will understand what I am talking about.
karuvally is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 00:03   #26
BHPian

This should qualify for this thread..

"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-screenshot_20190104235844284_com.ksmobile.cb.png

This was posted (The Maruti-Suzuki Ignis) in the official review thread of the Ignis by our member Centaur and I can't help but simply agree.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 07:43   #27
BHPian

More often than not, MS cars will be found taking inspiration from other manufacturers cars - ciaz (whole car) from city, ignis from terrano, swift from etios/Datsun go, brezza from many sources, recent wagon r.
gatsby_great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 08:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby_great View Post
More often than not, MS cars will be found taking inspiration from other manufacturers cars - ciaz (whole car) from city, ignis from terrano, swift from etios/Datsun go, brezza from many sources, recent wagon r.
Yes, gypsy from trax, Omni from state transport buses, kizashi from ambassador?!

Please, if having 4 wheels and a frame means it's a copy, I don't know which car isn't a copy of another!
Old 5th January 2019, 08:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

The rear hatch door, rear scoop & tail-light design/positioning of 2018 Toyota Harrier & 2019 Tata Harrier :

"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-img_20181229_145841.jpg
(Edit : Image Ctsy - Google Images)

"A Tale" of similar tail-lamps-img_20181222_113431.jpg

Edit 2 :Tata has done it SO much better!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th January 2019 at 08:50.
GrammarNazi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 08:50   #30
BHPian

Another aspect that might be playing here is these components are sourced by all manufacturers from a few common suppliers(e.g. Lucas, Sunpac in India) and it's much easier to go with a design which is already developed, easy for supplier , quicker and cheaper for manufacturers, rather than going for an all new design which is to be developed, cost provided for tooling etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks