Team-BHP - The Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/205283-maruti-ciaz-ertiga-1-5l-diesel-3.html)

Isn't it a bit late in the day? The country is moving back to petrol cars after the brief affair with diesels. A couple of years down the line, I think, there wouldn't exist a market for diesels in the <10L segment. And the 1.5L diesel will find it out of place in the >10L price bracket since expensive cars deserve bigger, more powerful engines. I feel Maruti (and Honda too), should have saved the money they spent on developing their diesel engines.

Coming to the engine, the power and torque figures seem adequate for the light weight Ciaz. Moreover, long term reliability and longevity remaining unknown, it makes sense to launch the engine in a lower state of tune (whatever that means). Its clear they are field testing this engine. So regular buyers better keep away and leave the testing to die hard Maruti fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4521518)
Maruti doesn't cater to enthusiasts, period! :D

I strongly disagree. The current-gen Swift is a sharp handler. So was the first gen model with the 1.3 petrol.

You should take a look at Maruti's motorsport calendar. In fact, I don't see any other carmaker in India invested in motorsport like MSIL. These events just don't get enough media coverage.

While many complain about the turbo lag of the 1.25 diesel, I find the post-lag punch addictive and I'm willing to sit through the lag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaheshY1 (Post 4522286)
I strongly disagree. The current-gen Swift is a sharp handler. So was the first gen model with the 1.3 petrol.

I think that's because Swift is a global product and Suzuki has more part to play in its development than Maruti. Maruti launches it here with puny 165 mm tyres and even takes away the temperature guage.

And God knows what modifications they do to the body structure that it gets a 2 star rating here.

Regarding Swift to be a great handler, I think we should be more thankful to Suzuki than Maruti IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlocked (Post 4522338)
I think that's because Swift is a global product and Suzuki has more part to play in its development than Maruti. Maruti launches it here with puny 165 mm tyres and even takes away the temperature guage.

And God knows what modifications they do to the body structure that it gets a 2 star rating here.

Regarding Swift to be a great handler, I think we should be more thankful to Suzuki than Maruti IMO.

If you think Maruti takes any decisions without a Suzuki OK, then you are sadly mistaken. The ride and handling, right from the first gen Indian Swift was optimised by Indian engineers. You will find numerous news items about 25 engineers working at Suzuki.

I think people complaining about low horse power of the new diesel engine proposition for Ciaz should also remember that the Ciaz is on an unsafe Heartect platform. I think that platform only deserves under powered vehicles. I don't think anyone would feel safe driving a 120BHP car on the Heartect platform. Lower the power the better it is for the Heartect platform.

94 horses is too low and the torque is relatively low too. These figures put the engine in the viscinity of the 1.4L powerplant plonked by Hyundai in their i20. Would it be sufficient to haul load? Yes, most definitely! Would it bring a smile on your face? Maybe not!

Someone mentioned earlier that if it’s Diesel, white, gives 18+ kmpl and it’s a Maruti, it will sell. And that I believe is true. A look at the sales figures for the decades since Maruti began selling cars shows the story. We don’t give a fig to the safety and enjoyment aspect. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by searacer932 (Post 4522461)
I think people complaining about low horse power of the new diesel engine proposition for Ciaz should also remember that the Ciaz is on an unsafe Heartect platform. I think that platform only deserves under powered vehicles. I don't think anyone would feel safe driving a 120BHP car on the Heartect platform. Lower the power the better it is for the Heartect platform.

That is factually incorrect. The current Ciaz is not on Heartect platform. The next Ciaz coming in 2021-22 may well be but not the current one. It is based on the earlier Swift platform on which the earlier Ertiga was also built.

Ford has been able to eke out 99 bhp from a 1.5 L SOHC engine. Very disappointing to see the kind of power figures going around. Looks like Suzuki has deliberately under-powered the engine with a limiter (similar to Honda Amaze diesel automatic) to test the engine out.

Definitely the first set of customers for this are the guinea pigs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carma2017 (Post 4522475)
That is factually incorrect. The current Ciaz is not on Heartect platform. The next Ciaz coming in 2021-22 may well be but not the current one. It is based on the earlier Swift platform on which the earlier Ertiga was also built.

Thanks for the clarification but this is even more a bad news. The previous generation swift scored zero stars and structural integrity was compromised :Frustrati . This is really not a good news. Considering the light weight of the Ciaz I was thinking it was based on Heartect.

I sincerely hope the next gen Ciaz is not based on Heartect platform but on a much safer platform. MSIL should base the nex gen Ciaz on the S-cross/Vitara Brezza platform at least.

It's really impressive, in fact!

Having driven SX4 for 90K KM with the power of 89 BHP and 200 NM torque, this new engine will never let down the new Ciaz customers. 94/225 figures are really impressive for a light weight car Ciaz. Highway driveability would be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaheshY1 (Post 4522286)
I strongly disagree.
You should take a look at Maruti's motorsport calendar. In fact, I don't see any other carmaker in India invested in motorsport like MSIL. These events just don't get enough media coverage.

Yes. And I strongly recall waiting a decade for the Swift Sport to launch. lol:

But yes - Your point is valid - Swift is decent enough to be a 'notable mention' on this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ars-india.html . There is also the Baleno RS, but that was more of a trial for the engine, rather than Maruti wanting to release a real enthusiast's choice for the market.

But it's still a family car as Maruti wanted. The handling is thanks to the chassis being setup well for European markets - for which this car was primarily designed for!

With a Ciaz diesel - expect typical Maruti practicality and driveability over sportiness, their glamorous motorsport calendar notwithstanding! :)

The Euro VI variant of 1.5 l is being tested to deliver 75 - 78 kW of power which is significantly higher than the present state of tune of the engine to be offered soon.

Nonetheless, I have serious doubts if MSIL will actually offer the engine in a higher state of tune. The testing at higher bhp is essentially to gain confidence on the reliability front as the Fiat sourced MJD engines are very reliable and MSIL cannot falter on that front.

The 1.6 l MJD sourced in-between for S-Cross was given up for various reasons including royalty and challenges in extracting low end drive-ability. It had a punchy mid range.

NVH will not be an issue with this engine at all. It is fairly refined cruiser motor. Expect some good efficiency numbers too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 4523392)
--

Nonetheless, I have serious doubts if MSIL will actually offer the engine in a higher state of tune. --

News of the NEW Vitara using this engine along with a new 1.2 turbo (Petrol) is just in. So the 1.5 L (D) in a higher state of tune is inevitable.

More products( diesel variants) based on the market response to EURO VI diesels are likely to be offered by Suzuki.

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4523398)
News of the NEW Vitara using this engine along with a new 1.2 turbo (Petrol) is just in. So the 1.5 L (D) in a higher state of tune is inevitable.

Link

Buddy I am talking about Ciaz with Euro IV configuration and present platform. MSIL may not increase the output for this avatar of Ciaz.

Euro VI is a different paradigm altogether.

More so, MSIL would pick up a trick or two from VW with same displacement being offered in different state of tune for different segments and brands.

Knowing Maruti, am not surprised at the conservative numbers of the new 1.5D. What am surprised is, why Maruti wants to introduce a BS4 1.5D now. That too on their 'premium' offering. They are so confident with NVH, that million rupee buyers will plonk their money?

Either Maruti wants to recover R&D money by volumes now (even then Ciaz is not a 10K MoM car) or they want to divorce their relationship with Fiat ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 4521980)
You really don't want to cross 80kmph ( forget 100kmph) because the new overspeeding alarm will drive you nuts.

I've always driven above 80 on open roads and 9 out of 10 times, I don't even notice the alarm. In 6 months time, every new car sold in this country will have it, and owners will learn to live around it.