Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel

Mod Note: Our 1.5L Engine Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel-2018maruticiaz02.jpg

It has been reported that Maruti Suzuki is working on a new 1.5-litre diesel engine that will replace the Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre unit. We have learned that the engine is now ready for launch and will be offered on the Ciaz as an option.

Reports suggest that the 1,498cc, 4-cylinder, DDiS 225 engine will be offered without hybrid tech on the Ciaz. It produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The engine is claimed to be lightweight and has a dual mass flywheel. Its fuel economy rating is 26.82 km/l.

In addition to the 1.5-litre diesel engine, the new Ciaz is likely to be offered with the 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that makes 89 BHP and 200 Nm of torque, at least until BS-VI regulations kick in. The Ciaz also comes with a 103 BHP 1.5-litre petrol engine.

Maruti Suzuki is expected to offer the new 1.5-litre diesel engine on other models in the future.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2019 at 14:37. Reason: Link to review
TusharK is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:15   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch

I am a bit disappointed with the power output here, considering the competition which offers much better power and torque outputs from their 1500 and 1600 cc engines. That being said, with a better torque output than the City, the 1.5 Ciaz diesel should be faster than the City diesel.

Maybe, they will come up with a more powerful tune of this engine for the upcoming Suzuki Corolla.
AYP is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:20   #3
BHPian

Wow Maruti is very smart! They will mint whatever money they can from a dying powertrain and simultaneously sell 1.5 Diesel at a premium to customers stating reasons such as larger engine slightly higher power and torque output.
Infact they should completely drop 1.3 mill as when they introduce the new engine.

I feel after the facelift Maruti should have refrained from launching Ciaz with the 1.3 multijet and instead should have launched it with 1.5 mill after a while. I think they have been unfair to customers who went and bought the facelift with the old engine.

They should have also launched the new Ertiga with 1.5 diesel at the time of launch itself.
Storm2.0 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Maruti Ciaz 1.5L Diesel ready for launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It has been reported that Maruti Suzuki is working on a new 1.5-litre diesel engine that will replace the Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre unit. We have learned that the engine is now ready for launch and will be offered on the Ciaz as an option.

Reports suggest that the 1,498cc, 4-cylinder, DDiS 225 engine will be offered without hybrid tech on the Ciaz. It produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The engine is claimed to be lightweight and has a dual mass flywheel. Its fuel economy rating is 26.82 km/l.

In addition to the 1.5-litre diesel engine, the new Ciaz is likely to be offered with the 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that makes 89 BHP and 200 Nm of torque, at least until BS-VI regulations kick in.
The power figures for the new engine is not very impressive when compared to its peers. Also not sure how extensively it has been tested but the news that the old 1.3MJD will continue in parallel, doesn't inspire much confidence. Does Maruti intend to test the water with the new engine on the initial batch of buyers while the trusted engine will till be available for those who want to play safe?

Off-late the new launches from Maruti have some production defects in the first few batches - steering columns, suspension, instrument cluster, projectors and so on. Surprisingly, many issues are cropping up towards the end of the warranty, after piling few thousand kms on these cars. So we can't be sure right now if the replaced parts will have fixed these issues. Sorry for going OT here.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd January 2019 at 11:22.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seriously?

Specs appear so dull. When Indian manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra have 1.5L diesels generating like 120+ horses and torque over 250 Nm and even offer it on sub-4m cars, Maruti should have offered at least similar figures on a car that is in the higher segment.

Interested to know more on the engine refinement and the torque curve.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2019 at 07:58. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

And I seriously hope that this information is wrong. 94 BHP is just not done!

First of all, there are apprehensions regarding the Driveability-Durability-Refinement aspects of this newly developed 1.5L Diesel engine that will replace the age old FIAT sourced engine that only time will tell. And now this news about pitiful power output?

Although in the current Ciaz, the 90 Horses didn't really feel under-powered to extreme extents, thanks to the lightweight body, 94 BHP out of the 1.5L feels N-O-T-H-I-N-G if one goes by the expectations that most of us had that it would be at least in the range of 105-110 BHP!

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd January 2019 at 11:49.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:52   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The horsepower rating is just average, although the torque seems good. I just hope that the driveability is fantastic as that's an area where the small 1.3L can be left wanting (especially with a full load). And the refinement too. The market is full of 1.5L diesels which are universally competent, be it from Honda, Ford, VW, Tata etc.

This is an important engine when you consider how many cars its going to power and the volumes that Maruti enjoys. I can't wait to drive it.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Although in the current Ciaz, the 90 Horses didn't really feel under-powered to extreme extents, thanks to the lightweight body, 94 BHP out of the 1.5L feels N-O-T-H-I-N-G if one goes by the expectations that most of us had that it would be at least in the range of 105-110 BHP!
Maruti doesn't cater to enthusiasts, period!

I think 94 bhp is decent enough for the target market considering the lightweight nature of the Ciaz, what would be really interesting is the torque curve! The specs look to me like they've used a small turbocharger and that could result in real nice drivability.

Peak torque of 225Nm from 1500rpm suggests the same too. This could very well be the next drivability champion - unlike what the specs suggest.

Now if only they can get the refinement right, and not fall into the same NVH trap that Honda did with their 1.5!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd January 2019 at 11:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:11   #9
BHPian

This is good news! I was reported earlier on this forum that there were reliability concerns found during testing this new engine after 1 Lakh Kilometres which I think is sorted now. Considering Maruti, they will champion this engine in terms of FE, followed by FE and finally FE. Do not expect anything else and do not blame Maruti for it. Any business owner would have done the same.

I have the 1.3 DDis Ciaz and have driven it with full load while climbing the ghats, I can tell you that it is extremely underpowered in that scenario but I don't encounter that very often so it is fine with me. I am looking forward to checking this one out.
Mr.Beat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:08   #10
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Maruti Ciaz 1.5L Diesel ready for launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The power figures for the new engine is not very impressive when compared to its peers. Also not sure how extensively it has been tested but the news that the old 1.3MJD will continue in parallel, doesn't inspire much confidence. Does Maruti intend to test the water with the new engine on the initial batch of buyers while the trusted engine will till be available for those who want to play safe?

Off-late the new launches from Maruti have some production defects in the first few batches - steering columns, suspension, instrument cluster, projectors and so on. Surprisingly, many issues are cropping up towards the end of the warranty, after piling few thousand kms on these cars. So we can't be sure right now if the replaced parts will have fixed these issues. Sorry for going OT here.
Yes mate. You have hit the nail right on its head. Maruti wants to test the new engine by playing safe. They have adopted a very good strategy by selling both the engines side by side. the next step would be that they would launch this 1.5 only in the highest version so that they sell less of this engine. The premium customer will never shout out in the open and they will keep shut and the last resort that the customer will resort to-sell off 1.5L spec car and get another car. In this way the mass market will not get effected and they will happily keep on maintaining numbers.

Second point that you have mentioned is that Maruti will better the engine by providing an upgrade which will have a better fuel efficiency and then the next upgrade will have much better fuel efficiency. And in the process they may even start putting bumper made of fiber glass. Doors made of plastics and the weight may be reduced further. Our naive Indian public will keep on flocking their showrooms to check out "Indian's Most fuel efficient Sedan".

WRT the point of first few batches having issues, Maruti does not have proper quality control in place now. It is very much obvious from the tremendous cost cutting that we have seen in the current models of cars being sold. The sheet metal going from thinner to thinnest, the paint quality degrading, the plastic quality going down, the suspension giving up very soon. Yes, over the years only thing that has gone up is the service cost. Maruti insists on putting synthetic oil in the cars but other manufacturers still are sticking to the mineral oil. Honda's/Toyota's/Hyundai's have clear mandate not to use synthetic oil for their cars. Even if you insist, they clearly deny using the same. So, coming back to point, they clearly mean that their engines are not built to last and they need some supplement to work and function properly.
su1978 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:35   #11
BHPian

Who cares for the power and torque output? Those who does, are being catered by numerous companies that command the remaining 49% market share. For rest of the 51% buyers, It's a Maruti, It's a diesel, It's big, it gives 18+ KMPL in city, and it's available in white, That's it! Who cares if it moves slow, we will slap a big bull bar behind it.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Maruti doesn't cater to enthusiasts, period!

I think 94 bhp is decent enough for the target market considering the lightweight nature of the Ciaz, what would be really interesting is the torque curve! The specs look to me like they've used a small turbocharger and that could result in real nice drivability.

Peak torque of 225Nm from 1500rpm suggests the same too. This could very well be the next drivability champion - unlike what the specs suggest.

Now if only they can get the refinement right, and not fall into the same NVH trap that Honda did with their 1.5!
I think the figures may be underwhelming, but it's got great torque and in a light body would have more than adequate performance. It all boils down to the driveability, refinement and price now. As you have said peak torque coming in at a low 1.5k rpm may make it a pleasure to drive in the city. After all, it's a Maruti and people will forgive it even if it's half as satisfying as a Hyundai 1.6 diesel mill. ACI has hinted that Maruti is grappling with refinement/NVH issues. Price close to ₹12 L exshowroom, I guess, would hit the sweet spot with the public. Let's not forget about the Toyota Corolla Diesel that has a lower power rating and retails at ₹ 25L otr.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd January 2019 at 14:08.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Who cares for the power and torque output? Those who does, are being catered by numerous companies that command the remaining 49% market share. For rest of the 51% buyers, It's a Maruti, It's a diesel, It's big, it gives 18+ KMPL in city, and it's available in white, That's it! Who cares if it moves slow, we will slap a big bull bar behind it.

🤣 Rightly said ! Sad part is that Maruti has taken advantage of this sentiment and given us sub-standard products.
Since 1980s , for almost 15 years, we had the original made in Japan maruti 800. What a car!
Things have changed now.
As long as Maruti is churning out new models, they can make it look like a crocodile and it will still sell because it has four wheels, it moves and it has a maruti sticker behind.
lambodara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how it would be so different from the current 1.3 multijet. With a VGT, the Fiat Linea puts 91 bhp and about 200 or 210 Nm of torque which is abysmal when put under heavy load. It is a different story that the car itself is very heavy.

The problem with 1.3 multijet was the power band, it was so narrow that in extreme conditions (like ghats or steep gradients over a wide stretch) the car would start wheezing beyond 3500 rpm with absolutely no increase in power delivery. I was expecting bhp figures of above 100, say 105 bhp and Torque figures around 250 Nm. The Mahindra's new 1.5 litre puts out 120+ bhp and around 300 Nm of torque if I am not mistaken.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:20   #15
BHPian

Ciaz was always under powered when you compare it with its peers. No new story with the 1.5 engine as well. Less than 1% people care about outright power and Maruti knows this. Look at the nearly 27kmpl claimed economy and you will forget everything else. IMO, given the Ciaz's light weight, this power is enough. They have smartly increased the torque to improve driveability which majority of the buyers appreciate (consciously or sub consciously).
What i don'T understand is how maruti will price this engine alongside the 1.3? Will there be customers willing to pay a premium for a 5 BHP increase? Or may be they are planning a 'S' variant with this engine and some cosmetic changes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed