Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:28   #16
BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Who cares for the power and torque output?

Who cares if it moves slow, we will slap a big bull bar behind it.
You forgot to mention the addition of K&N stickers and a spoiler. That ought to definitely add ~ 20BHP

In all seriousness though, it's a sad state of affairs that we have wherein all the ruckus on enthusiast forums and Social Media is still not driving MSIL to release some monster engines. MSIL seems to be picking some hints from Apple when it comes to marketing.
CaptainPrice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:16   #17
BHPian

A very important development for MSIL. Time is short, they have to retrofit all diesel powered models with this new engine before 2020 BS-VI regulations.

I guess the focus would be to first iron out engine niggles and bring it as a replacement to 1.3 Multijet in all models before next year. For the time being power numbers may appear low, may be they are playing safe initially, but surely the scope for tuning the 1.5 will be better than 1.3 for successive generations.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 3rd January 2019 at 15:29.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Before getting into the matter, isn't it the same inhouse R&D that came up with the amazing diesel engine we saw in Celerio?
Let's talk about power later, let's just see if NVH and refinement is even at par with the outgoing 1.3

PS: As a ciaz 1.3 owner, having happily completed 70k km in just over 3 years, without even a single visit to A.S.S regarding issues, I will be pretty happy with 94 bhp. Dear Maruti, just make sure you get rid of that turbolag.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd January 2019 at 17:03.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Expected move from Maruti but an interesting timing. If the rumor is true, then this engine should make it to the Ciaz in a month's time. So, would this BS VI Engine work fine taking in the BS IV Fuel? I know there have been a lot of debate on the topic of using fuel of a different BS generation and unsure if there is any such impact.

Like someone else pointed out, I too believe that Maruti unlike Tata plays it safe - so they may have undertuned the engine to ensure reliability. After more testing they may tweak it for more power in the subsequent generations.

Moreover, whether the need for such a re-tuning will arise depends on whether the diesel volumes are sufficient to justify focusing on it in future.
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Reports suggest that the 1,498cc, 4-cylinder, DDiS 225 engine will be offered without hybrid tech on the Ciaz. It produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The engine is claimed to be lightweight and has a dual mass flywheel. Its fuel economy rating is 26.82 km/l.

Maruti Suzuki is expected to offer the new 1.5-litre diesel engine on other models in the future.

Link to Team-BHP News
Will it be a BS4 engine or BS6 engine?
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Expecting this engine to be mated to six speed transmission! Looks like Maruti is playing it safe with the engine output, hope more powerful version makes it to heavier cars like S Cross.
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:38   #22
BHPian

Interesting move from Maruti definitely if its planning to have both the diesel engines simultaneously. As someone rightly pointed out, if this is the case, its more likely that Maruti is testing the waters for its new engine before taking the plunge especially when it had to withdraw its super crude 2 cylinder off the Celerio earlier. Power output is definitely lesser given what other 1.5 L diesels in the market produce but Maruti engines have been always just adequate and not overtly powerful. Talking about the engine spec, is it a fixed geometry one or a VGT? If this engine in Ciaz produces only 94 bhp what would be the engine power when it is launched with the Baleno facelift as speculated by a few? More questions than answers!
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think this might be a business decision considering development cost due to upcoming BS6 norms. And do I need to mention about kitna deti hai

If the laggy 1.3 with 89 horses and 200 Nm will sell, this will sell like hotcakes unless there's something seriously wrong with the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Let's talk about power later, let's just see if NVH and refinement is even at par with the outgoing 1.3
I think refinement won't be a disappointment since we're talking 4 cylinders vs 2 cylinders. I hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd January 2019 at 20:57.
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
I--If this engine in Ciaz produces only 94 bhp what would be the engine power when it is launched with the Baleno facelift as speculated by a few? --
It is likely Baleno in BS VI avatar will not get a diesel variant and hence the face-lift in 2019 will be with the existing 1.3 L diesel engine only.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Reports suggest that the 1,498cc, 4-cylinder, DDiS 225 engine will be offered without hybrid tech on the Ciaz. It produces 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The engine is claimed to be lightweight and has a dual mass flywheel. Its fuel economy rating is 26.82 km/l.
Any clue on FGT or VGT? If it turns out to be FGT, the VGT should come with at least 10-20% more power.
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It has been reported that Maruti Suzuki is working on a new 1.5-litre diesel engine that will replace the Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre unit. We have learned that the engine is now ready for launch and will be offered on the Ciaz as an option.

Come-on MSIL! First came the dampner in the form of the 108 BHP petrol mill, and now this !!

Agree, numbers only tell half the story, but this is an engine they've been working on for years !! I really hope the constant torque delivery across the band translates to considerably better driveability than the FIAT sourced engine.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:44   #27
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

I think refinement won't be a disappointment since we're talking 4 cylinders vs 2 cylinders. I hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Correction. The earlier 1.3 was also a 4 cylinder engine.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 05:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Correction. The earlier 1.3 was also a 4 cylinder engine.
You are mistaken. He was referring to the Celerio's 2 cylinder diesel. Earlier 1.3 is pretty refined when compared to Honda's and VW's 1.5
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 09:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

I really don't understand why everyone is complaining!

94 Bhp and 225 NM from 1500 RPM is honestly more than sufficient!

Here's why!

1) Maruti has tuned it for fuel economy and driveability. And I'm pretty sure that with peak torque coming in at 1500 RPM, driveability is guaranteed unless the gear ratios chosen are too tall.

2) You really don't want to cross 80kmph ( forget 100kmph) because the new overspeeding alarm will drive you nuts. With lower power, you won't be hitting 80 as quickly as the Ciaz's rivals. Therefore lower power will prevent you from complaining about the country's speed limits and absurd laws as frequently as other car owners! Better peace of mind!

You shouldn't be buying the Ciaz because you want to scorch some ghat road. You should be buying this to transport your family from point A to point B in utter comfort. And it does it really well!
Turbohead is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:44   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

You shouldn't be buying the Ciaz because you want to scorch some ghat road. You should be buying this to transport your family from point A to point B in utter comfort. And it does it really well!
This is 100% true. Ciaz is among the best riding cars that I have been driving. And that's in a time when the Safari Dicor and Storme are in the garage.

But then, as someone told earlier, what if you need to transport 5 people + luggage on ghats? More power is always a good thing to have!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks