Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2019, 15:05   #61
BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch

Looks like the Ciaz is ready for launch this month according to Rushlane. Any idea about the date of launch?

Thanks.
Old 8th February 2019, 15:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
S-Cross should be the first car to receive upgrade. It needs it badly. Biggest car of the lot and Maruti's most premium offering.
It has apparently been confirmed that the S Cross will not be getting the 1.5 liter engine this year. I believe the BSVI ready engine will directly make its way into the S Cross next year. Read this in one of the prominent auto mags (Autocar or Overdrive)
Old 8th February 2019, 22:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Maruti Ertiga 1.5L Diesel with 6-speed MT coming

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel-2018marutiertiga01.jpg

Maruti Suzuki is all set to launch the new 1.5-litre diesel engine on the Ertiga. It is likely to come equipped with a new 6-speed manual transmission and the MPV is expected to weigh 1,220-1,225 kg (kerb weight).

It is said that essential documents have been submitted at all local RTOs to get permits for registration. Factory dispatches are expected to begin very shortly.

Maruti has developed the BS-VI ready 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine in-house. It is rumoured to produce 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The new engine is said to be lighter than the Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre unit it replaces. The same engine will be offered on the Ciaz and other Maruti Suzuki models in the future.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 23:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Scoop! Maruti Ertiga 1.5L Diesel with 6-speed MT coming
It will be a major putoff for the initial customers of the Ertiga since they had to make do with the 1.3 while missing out on the better 1.5 mill.

I still don't understand what made Maruti change the powertrain in less than six months from launch. They could've easily delayed the launch for the new engine itself! Infact, they didn't even need to do that since the Ciaz facelift got it.

Just Why Maruti? Why?
porsche_guy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 23:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
It will be a major putoff for the initial customers of the Ertiga since they had to make do with the 1.3 while missing out on the better 1.5 mill.

I still don't understand what made Maruti change the powertrain in less than six months from launch. They could've easily delayed the launch for the new engine itself! Infact, they didn't even need to do that since the Ciaz facelift got it.

Just Why Maruti? Why?
Most Maruti customers don't know what engine is under the hood or don't care at all. Why would Maruti bother?

Why should they delay a launch instead of rolling in profits the new launches generally bring?

Plus, the Fiat Multijet is an excellent engine and I would choose it over Maruti's own engines if both were available simultaneously.
Ragavsr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 00:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I would be happy with the 1.3, since the 1.5 is pretty new and we don't know how it would perform in the long term.
I guess this would be the second inhouse Diesel engine (1st being the two cylinder engine of the Celerio) by Maruti.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 00:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Honestly, I would be happy with the 1.3, since the 1.5 is pretty new and we don't know how it would perform in the long term.
I guess this would be the second inhouse Diesel engine (1st being the two cylinder engine of the Celerio) by Maruti.
Yes, I too think that we shall wait and watch the performance, FE, NVH and reliability of this new engine.

Isn't there a 3 cylinder engine in Celerio,?
Old 9th February 2019, 07:22   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch. Edit: Ciaz launched at 9.97L

Quote:
I have a feeling they will be offering both diesels on the Ertiga, with the 1.5L being possibly kept as an option for higher variants.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 09:39   #69
BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ciaz & Ertiga 1.5L Diesel ready for launch. Edit: Ciaz launched at 9.97L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a feeling they will be offering both diesels on the Ertiga, with the 1.5L being possibly kept as an option for higher variants.
I feel Suzuki will squeeze the national engine until the last drop. While at the same time giving the 1.5L engine a good chance to get accepted in the market.

This way they can check the reliability and sort out any issues that may crop up with the initial lot.
indian21r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 10:28   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Yes, I too think that we shall wait and watch the performance, FE, NVH and reliability of this new engine.

Isn't there a 3 cylinder engine in Celerio,?
It was a two cylinder Diesel engine which was offered in Celerio and we all know what a ‘cracker’ (pun seriously intended) of engine it was. It felt like a Piaggio Ape engine was trasplanted to Celerio.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 10:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

IMO they've stuck to the conservative state of tune (94BHP & 225NM) to observe how the power-train performs in real-world scenario in the customers hands. Once initial batches confirm reliability, they can roll-out the BS-VI versions next year without fear of glitches.

At best I guess they'll tune it to reduce the initial turbo-lag of the Ertiga. Rest said, most people justifiably considered Ertiga to be no more luxurious than a Ritz with a 3rd row, so I don't think Maruti will increase prices or keep it exclusively for the top variant.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 10:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quite possible although I think that it would be an overkill especially since Diesels are losing popularity quite fast and also due to the government's anti-diesel sentiment.
Old 10th February 2019, 18:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Maruti has developed the BS-VI ready 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine in-house. It is rumoured to produce 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. The new engine is said to be lighter than the Fiat-sourced 1.3-litre unit it replaces. The same engine will be offered on the Ciaz and other Maruti Suzuki models in the future.
Specs wise, the new 1.5 has the following over the 1.3 MJD:
- 200 cc
- 4 BHP
- 25 NM

That doesn't sound like too much of an improvement over the outgoing motor. Driveability will be the key. I'd prefer a more linear power delivery over the MJD. Let the prototypes come out and we'll decide.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:43   #74
BHPian

What about automatic transmission along with this engine that would be welcome as verna has has it and city will get the cvt in the next avatar
Old 11th February 2019, 12:28   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IMO they've stuck to the conservative state of tune (94BHP & 225NM) to observe how the power-train performs in real-world scenario in the customers hands. Once initial batches confirm reliability, they can roll-out the BS-VI versions next year without fear of glitches.

At best I guess they'll tune it to reduce the initial turbo-lag of the Ertiga. Rest said, most people justifiably considered Ertiga to be no more luxurious than a Ritz with a 3rd row, so I don't think Maruti will increase prices or keep it exclusively for the top variant.
You exactly hit the nail on its head. We are not sure about the reliability of the new engine developed in-house by Maruti. I am just hoping that they are not assuming car buyers as guinea pigs and trying to do some testing. And as you said, once reliability is proved, it will be plonked into the BS-VI version. But what can be said of blind Indian car buyers who will buy a bullock-cart badged as Maruti. But will not buy a gem of an engine from other manufacturers. Same was the case with Ertiga as you said that it seemed more like an extended Ritz. But all said and done, Ritz was a fun to drive car and the turbo boost was very very addictive(especially for 1st version). But Ertiga was a dud below turbo range and you literally had to ride the accelerator in case you wanted to have some fun. There may be die-hard fans of Ertiga on this forum. But the looks are very funny in the latest version. Front seems a clean lift from Crysta and rear seems to be a copy of Volvo. Not sure what they have built and what the designers had in mind. Also i am dead sure about the build quality which would have gone from bad to worse.
su1978 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks