Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 12:34   #16
BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

Certainly not expected from a brand like Hyundai

One thing I fail to understand, why only Verna is having this issue? Creta has exactly same engine and gearbox - in the same state of tune. But I don't see any Creta being reported with this issue.
StepUP! is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 13:30   #17
BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

One question comes to mind - are all the failed engines belonging to the same batch or shift? If yes, then it is a more shift or batch based error, which should be settled by a recall. This is more evident as Hyundai is immediately asking for engine replacement under warranty.

Also, the question arises - if the engine fails outside warranty, then what? As a normal user, it would impossible to go through the hassles - costing and then making changes in the RTO records, reflecting the engine number change.

Hope Hyundai takes necessary action on this.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:12   #18
BHPian

I have a question directed to all BHPians, please note that I am not suggesting that the owner take either route but only asking this to learn something.

While i understand that the owner is not willing to accept an engine switch, but could accepting just an engine change lead to any issues in future, as long as Hyundai indemnifies the owner against any other manufacturing defects?

The reason i ask so is because I had certain issues at the time of my Baleno's delivery and took the car reluctantly and had the issues fixed thereafter.
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:22   #19

I think Hyundai QC need to improve. I am sitting with a New Santro AMT in garage for the last 2 weeks with 268Kms on the ODO and waiting for Hyundai to replace the Command Module. ( ABS, Check Engine light, hand brake lights On) and ODO and speedo not working. Power steering not working properly.

Hyundai Folks have no clue on the issue and they mentioned that they are trying to get a new command module ( Apparently there are some issues in the initial command module and they have brought our a upgraded command module and hence the delay).

It is definitely not a nice experience to be stranded for more than 2 weeks on a brand new car. No more Hyundai's for me, especially when they charge a premium over competition vehicles
parampath is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:41   #20
BHPian

Being the 2nd biggest manufacturer in India, I think Hyundai should really go deeper into this and if needed, get the faulty powertrain components redesigned.

3 brand new examples breaking down is just terrible on the reputation of the carmaker and Hyundai should really learn from it.

I actually really like the new Verna and it's very sad seeing the examples in question developing major faults with a very low mileage
porsche_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 16:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

What is very intriguing is that this is not an all new engine. The previous gen Verna was offered with the same set of engines with maybe different calibration to enhance torque here and there, but the overall power figures remain almost the same. Why are newer versions of the tried and tested products creating so many issues?
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:05   #22
BHPian

Engine transplant on a car run less than 160 kms? I can’t even imagine the plight of the owner who had to take the car to the service center even before the engine had a chance to run-in. Clearly shows the lack of quality check from Hyundai. With all the sales, it is quite evident that their QC is falling through the cracks. They should seriously rethink their strategy if they want to continue as a market leader.

Small tweaks and squeaks are something that is still understandable, but an engine replacement on a brand new car. Totally unacceptable.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parampath View Post
I think Hyundai QC need to improve. I am sitting with a New Santro AMT in garage for the last 2 weeks with 268Kms on the ODO and waiting for Hyundai to replace the Command Module. ( ABS, Check Engine light, hand brake lights On) and ODO and speedo not working. Power steering not working properly.

Hyundai Folks have no clue on the issue and they mentioned that they are trying to get a new command module ( Apparently there are some issues in the initial command module and they have brought our a upgraded command module and hence the delay).

It is definitely not a nice experience to be stranded for more than 2 weeks on a brand new car. No more Hyundai's for me, especially when they charge a premium over competition vehicles
Thanks for pointing out buddy, I was planning to replace our 2011 i20 with new Santro AMT but I think it’s better to wait for another year or so till Hyundai irons out small niggles!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 18:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
I have a question directed to all BHPians, please note that I am not suggesting that the owner take either route but only asking this to learn something.
While i understand that the owner is not willing to accept an engine switch, but could accepting just an engine change lead to any issues in future, as long as Hyundai indemnifies the owner against any other manufacturing defects?
The reason i ask so is because I had certain issues at the time of my Baleno's delivery and took the car reluctantly and had the issues fixed thereafter.
Indemnification would be a very strong word - because that would mean that you want Hyundai, or any other car company for that matter, to correct and/or rectify any manufacturing defect - which is usually done under warranty.

Normally, warranty covers all errors which arise either due to part failure or any manufacturing defect - thus indemnifying the loss by part replacement. Also, a point to note here is that Hyundai is offering 2 additional years of warranty - which is, in my view, a way of saying "Sorry for the mistake! Can we end this now"?

I have also noticed some posts about the irrelevant consumer protection laws being present. I would like to point out that we can take the legal action, however, it is always subject to challenge in a higher court. The companies have law firms, with 100's of lawyers, on panel to fight these cases. And as we all know, no dearth of money. Even outside India, any such matters are usually settled with fines being paid to regulators - case in point, the Takata settlement in US.

Personally, if the parts are being replaced, and we are being provided additional support, we should move forward and close the matter. But yes, we bring about awareness - using social media and expert forums like this one.
LegalEagle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 18:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

I've been saying this for a while now- vehicles made in India are mostly of lower quality than the previous generations. The primary examples are of Toyota Innova and Honda City have niggles.

I'm guessing the Verna is made in a new manufacturing plant. Hyundai, instead of investing a few hundred crores in QC, has worked out the economics that replacing a few cars and parts for a couple of crores is easier. Indian customers won't really sue the company as our country doesn't have customer protection laws like the US.

^^While I write this in this strong tone, I sincerely hope this isn't the case.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 19:14   #26
BANNED

This is happening at a time when Hyundai is being called as ‘the new Honda’ in this very forum itself. But the thing to remember is there are not at all new engines and are being here for a long time now, how come major issues cop up in such a case. Also Creta is having the same set of engines, but not heard of such kind of engine issues. This is not about dashboard rattles or rear view mirror falling off, in this case the engine itself is faulty and such low mileage indicates that the engines were already faulty from factory itself. The thing to uncover is ‘what is the issue with these engines that is making them faulty’. Any idea, anybody?

Last edited by pavi : 7th January 2019 at 19:16.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:21   #27
BHPian

Interesting that only Vernas are getting affected - No Cretas or i20s!

These incidents are getting me thinking - should all new cars get to the customer after getting tested in real world conditions?? Probably 500-1000 km? Would prevent these lemons from reaching the end customer. Not sure how practical these extended test drives would be!

Last edited by Samurai : 7th January 2019 at 22:50. Reason: typo
Old 8th January 2019, 01:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

This wouldn’t seriously change a thing! Hyundai won’t take the hit! Now, customer is in the hands of the dealer. If dealer is compassionate enough, he might bite the bullet by replacing the car. However, it’s just bad luck and gives me chills thinking of these incidents.
Old 8th January 2019, 02:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Interestingly, Hyundai also seemed to have engine failures reported as the largest problem on both of its top sellers here, albeit of different model years: the 2011 Sonata and 2013 Elantra. A class action lawsuit was said to have been proposed for the former, while Hyundai was reported to have replaced engines on the latter. Hyundai have had some good reputation built up since then- which makes this thread topic surprising at this time.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 09:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

The new Verna is definitely not in the pink!

A car from the first batch which was bought by a colleague had the whole AC unit replaced under warranty after it packed up in the first month. Maybe its not a one-off issue - the first batch and all - and Hyundai is really struggling with QC issues (of different kind) on the new Verna. Even now!

I guess the move below is no coincidence.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-europe.html (Hyundai stops exporting cars from India to Europe)

I am extremely wary when cars are made bespoke for our market. This is what lack of customer protection laws do in the long run. Manufacturers will always cut corners for profitability - and even if they make a few mistakes, there is definitely no penalty in our market.

Shameful for a country which ranks #5 in the world in motor vehicle production volume.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th January 2019 at 19:00. Reason: vary > wary
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed