Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 10:18   #31
BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

There surely is something wrong with the new batch of Verna's.
How can the manual and automatic gearboxes both be faulty in different batches.
I presume it should be something outside the gearbox/engine that is causing the entire assembly to be changed.

Someone at Hyundai needs to delve deeper into this and provide an explanation.
As concerns the current case, since the invoice has not been given to the customer before the car went kaput, he is entitled to a new vehicle in my opinion.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:42   #32
BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

Need for consumer lemon laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

Varies by each state, but perhaps in India we can have a federal law in place.

Hyundai is usually pretty reliable so this is a bit of a surprise. But does it make a big difference if it's a new engine?
Old 8th January 2019, 18:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Interesting that only Vernas are getting affected - No Cretas or i20s!

These incidents are getting me thinking - should all new cars get to the customer after getting tested in real world conditions?? Probably 500-1000 km? Would prevent these lemons from reaching the end customer. Not sure how practical these extended test drives would be!
No way would I want anyone to drive my new car for 1000 kms, even less for "testing" as that would mean rough usage. Even 100 kms are too much on the odometer of a new car.
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 09:52   #34
BHPian

Hyundai's quality sadly seems to have nosedived. My Grand i10 suffered from AC issues and a malfunctioning clock within the first year of ownership. I personally no longer consider Hyundai as a premium brand.
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 18:18   #35
BHPian

While there are multiple cases of New Verna with engine problems, there are almost no cases of Creta which is selling 2x Verna with same powertrain.

Even the power train options aren't new : It was also doing duty on the previous generation Verna and again no complaints there except for the blown turbocharger @ around 80-90k kms.
Automatic transmission carried over from Elantra !

I for one wouldn't say Hyundai's quality levels has diluted only with this issue. They still offer 3 year/unlimited km standard warranty on New Verna.
No Manufacture would burn their money with warranty claims if they are not sure about their Quality. So, they've to pull up their socks and tighten up the QC. (May over utilization of the factory has its down sides ?!?!)

Slightly OT : I've heard/read lot of complaints with Grand i10 and not many on Xcent : both being the same car with/without boot. Same logic as with Verna/Creta.
vaasscit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 18:54   #36
BHPian

A question to the mods: Do we have any updates from Rajesh on current status of this issue. Not sure if its too early to ask since it's only been 4 days but i am eager to know if there was any formal explanation given to him by the A.S.S or Hyundai on what the issue actually is and if Hyundai has agreed to replace the car?
Old 10th January 2019, 21:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Truly shocking. Are we aware of any other manufacturer where multiple instances of engines requiring replacement have been reported?

Agree fully that at 150km, the car should be replaced. More importantly, Hyundai needs to come up with a public explanation for what has gone wrong here.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 14:10   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rajesh Sharma has a very positive update for us .

Quote:
Sir,

I wish to convey special thanks to Team-BHP for showing concern with my problem and for highlighting the same at the appropriate levels. Finally, the dealership agreed to replace my one-day old defective car. I am getting a new car shortly.

Please update accordingly,

Regards
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 14:50   #39
BHPian

Re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rajesh Sharma has a very positive update for us .
That is great news and a huge sigh of relief for Rajesh. Hope to get the true Hyundai experience of niggle free journey ahead.

Others, Please don't start Congratulating and Praising Hyundai for doing what they did. This is the least they could have done for the love and trust Indians are putting on them. They need to (Already would have) brainstorm and find out how the issue is happening. Something doesn't add up. Hyundai QC is never off track or bad. There is something more to this for sure.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:08   #40
BHPian

Re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

Congratulations to Mr. Rajesh Sharma for holding his ground and getting a brand new replacement.

Great to see TeamBHP coming forward for a justified consumer interest issue.

This is a good news not just for the one who is effected by the issue but for whole automotive community as well.

Last of all, good to see Hyundai doing the right thing by replacing the car. Acts like this are far more productive than a million dollar advertising campaign.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 18:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

That is excellent news! I am happy for the customer. It is a very good initiative by Hyundai and enhances their reputation.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 20:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
Hyundai's quality sadly seems to have nosedived. My Grand i10 suffered from AC issues and a malfunctioning clock within the first year of ownership. I personally no longer consider Hyundai as a premium brand.
I don't think at any point Hyundai was considered as a premium brand even in INDIA.Their best cars were the original Santro,Accent .Although the succeeding models sold in great numbers they never had the build quality.You can still see 20 plus year old Santro's running.I doubt if an I20 or an Xcent will survive like that.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 11:20   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is excellent news! I am happy for the customer. It is a very good initiative by Hyundai and enhances their reputation.
Being in IT industry for a long time now and no product/software is perfect. We get defects and fix them, but there would be something called ‘root cause analysis’ and the reporting of the same. In this case, replacing the product happened but on what grounds. Why was the product replaced, and what is it that made the car not fixable. It happens in team-bhp all the time. People get happy about a car getting replaced, after that no one is bothered about the root cause. Hyundai should have the ethics to at least let the customer know the root cause of the issue and also let the customer understand why the new car won’t have this issue. I think this is the third car having this issue reported in team-bhp, I wonder how many more are actually happening outside of team-bhp.

Last edited by pavi : 18th January 2019 at 11:23.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 15:44   #44
BHPian

I am under the opinion that all these cases of defective Vernas are unrelated issues. But it's still puzzling that they're going wrong so early in the ownership period.

What about other big-number manufacturers like Maruti? Is it just that these cases with the Vernas happened to get reported on Tbhp, while the others go unnoticed and weren't reported online?

Most Viewed