Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 17:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

What's up with the new Verna & its high defect rate? I have never seen so many incidents on a relatively new launch. And if we have 4 cases just on Team-BHP, imagine how many more are there in the offline world . Earlier threads:

Faulty Verna (Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month)

Gearbox failure (MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo))

New engine (Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car)

Rajesh Sharma writes in. I completely agree with him. There is no way I would accept a full engine replacement on my brand new car! Hyundai needs to give him another car. Rajesh has paid for a defect-free new car and that's what he should get!
Quote:
I had purchased one Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX Petrol VTVT car bearing Engine No. G4FGJU433940, Chassis No. MALC841CLJM071131 from Joshi Hyundai Chandigarh on 25.12.2018. The total cost of the car was Rs. 10,41,783/- (Ex-Showroom Price Rs. 983290/-, Insurance Rs. 51394/-, Essential Kit Rs. 4099/- and Handling charges Rs. 3000/-) and after adjustment of exchange discount (Rs.30,000/-, year ending offer (41,783/-) and cost of old Santro (Rs. 80,000/-), the net price of the said car came out to be Rs. 8,90,000/-. The delivery of the car was effected in the afternoon of 25.12.2018 around 4.00/5.00 pm.

However, when the vehicle was driven, an abnormal noise was found in the cabin and therefore, the vehicle was brought to Joshi Hyundai’s showroom on 27.12.2018. A job card was also prepared in this regard. On checking by the service engineers, we were told verbally on 28.12.2018 that the complete engine of the car requires to be changed. The car had run only 159 Kms. The whole family was shocked to hear such bad news when even the celebrations for the new car were not over. However, on our insistence that we are not to go for change of complete engine and want replacement of the car itself, the staff (Mr. Jaswal, Service Engineer) asked us to give them time till 31st of December. Nothing in writing was given to us on 31st of December, 2018 even after spending hours together at Joshi Hyundai's showroom and a 11 minute call was also made on Hyundai's toll free number 1800 114 645. To our dismay, we have been informed vide a letter dated 01.01.2019 that as per Hyundai’s Motor India Ltd.’s directions, the complete engine assembly of the car will be changed under warranty with extension of two years warranty.

It is pertinent to mention here that even the invoice of the car was not issued by the time the car was brought back to Joshi Hyundai’s showroom on 27.12.2018 as the loan amount of Rs. 8,24,000/- for purchase of car from State Bank of India was remitted to the dealership on 28.12.2018.

I am not inclined to get the complete engine assembly changed on a new car which has been used for one day only. Therefore, I had communicated to the dealership and company to kindly replace the defective car with a new one or in the alternative, refund the amount paid by me towards cost of the car. I am also suffering monetary loss as the insurance period of the car has started on 25.12.2018.

I am facing hardships due to non availability of the car as our old car has already been given in exchange to the dealership However, till date, no action for replacement of the car has been taken by the dealership.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2019 at 09:36.
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 17:47   #2
BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

It is surprising that this is the second time (from my memory) Hyundai has agreed to engine replacement so quickly. The earlier case, owner decided to bite the bullet and agreed to the change, I hope this time around we get a proper explanation as to why it warrants such a change, that too so soon in its life. This leads me to believe that there might be a bigger problem Hyundai is trying to dodge by quickly brushing this under the carpet.
If I were the owner, I'd want a replacement too, and while the issue is being settled at least provide the owner a spare car.

Last edited by SDP : 7th January 2019 at 09:33. Reason: Typos
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 18:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Yet another defective Hyundai Verna requiring an engine replacement. EDIT: Car replaced!

Forget one day of ownership. If a total engine replacement is required even after six months of ownership, the car should be replaced, not just the engine. No buyer will like to own and drive a new car that had a heart transplant. In his eyes it will not be a new car any more, and it will always hurt to think of the money spent on the purchase.
Gansan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 18:33   #4
BHPian

Another incident where there is a blatant sabotage of the rights of a customer.

It is disheartening and frustrating to repeatedly come across such incidents where a fellow citizen has to go through an ordeal when there is no question on the fact that the right thing is not being done by the manufacturer and that the customer has no simple way to get the same enforced in a reasonable amount of time.

What do the senior members on this forum suggest as the ideal way to deal with such kind of incidents if it ever happens to anyone. Is there a procedural way to deal with such nerve wrecking events for a quick and painless redressal! Thanks.

Last edited by iron.head : 6th January 2019 at 18:34.
iron.head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was seriously thinking about getting a Hyundai Verna/Creta as replacement for our ageing Swift, I am sure many owners are enjoying trouble free cars, but these reported incidents have changed my perception about the brand, adding to this, terrible brakes on both the cars are extreme sore point for such expensive models.

Will future Hyundai reviews on Teambhp carry the usual reliability tag in the positives?

P.S: Our first gen santro was a gem of a car, Hope Hyundai sorts things out and win us(old customers) back!

Last edited by navin : 10th January 2019 at 11:53. Reason: typo
giri1.8 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I completely agree with him. There is no way I would accept a full engine replacement on my brand new car! Hyundai needs to give him another car:
I am glad you have put that in writing. It was quite disheartening to see many here defend the car maker and in fact praising them for agreeing to replace the engine in the previously active Verna thread just recently. Under no circumstances, should a buyer be subjected to this.
drmohitg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 20:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Has Hyundai made any significant changes to the 1.6 petrol motor recently, probably an ancillary part?

The motor has been in the market for a while, and I don't recall coming across such random early-life failures before. What changed?

Needs a thorough investigation at manufacturer level, and transparent handling of customer complaints.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 21:01   #8
BHPian

This is surprising from Hyundai. But surely they will make this go away pretty quickly to avoid negative press. They'll push for an engine but if the owner can stand his ground and get on social media etc, he can expect a new car.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 21:16   #9
BHPian

IMHO, there are only two explanations on this issue:

- First, They do not have stringent quality checks in recent times. This leads to one question, is Hyundai India trying to improve upon this aspect? If not, it is not good for customers and in the long run for them too. They seem to hide this issue by just providing engine replacement. It should not have happened in the first place.

- Second, They overlook the quality aspect and, they are only interested in sales. The engine is the heart of the car and, at least it should be rock solid.

Customers are at a loss in any of the cases mentioned above. This is not expected from one of the market leaders in India, especially when, the quality is their USP.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2019 at 09:53. Reason: typo
RedStallion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 01:31   #10
BHPian

Feeling really sad for the customer. Just imagine the mental trauma he is having.

Though most of the discussion is centred around the manufacturer but I think the main issue is our weak consumer protection law. Brands are taking advantage of notoriously slow legal proceedings for arm twisting.

Most of the customers are forced to accept these lackluster responses for such serious issues. Can't blame a customer for settling with sub par service or product since fighting a legal battle is such a time consuming matter.

Just replace India with UK/EU/US/Canada or any other developed country in the story and you may see it's Hyundai running pillar to post for a satisfactory letter from this customer. Since, if this matter escalates to a lawsuit, one large financial penalty is inevitable.

So it really depends on the determination Mr. Rajesh Sharma. Can he afford the time needed for a legal battle? Because his demand for a new car as replacement is not only justified but also a very modest one.

I may have first tried the social channels before moving to any legal proceedings.

One advice for Mr. Rajesh Sharma, in case you are thinking of legal options, then reduce your verbal communication with Hyundai to absolute minimum. Communication should only be done via written means and on their official email channel. Consulting your lawyer beforehand is always a good idea.

As for Hyundai, mechanical fault can come. No one is blaming them for couple issues out of so many cars they are selling. However customer confidence & brand loyalty take a nose dive when they set some horrible example on their way of handling such issues. Market leader Maruti is maintaining its dominant position purely because of after sales support. Other brands with far superior cars are still struggling to win Indian minds because of Maruti's reputation for commitment towards post sales happiness. When brands like Ford revamping their after-sales towards this philosophy, Hyundai seems to be taking a step backwards. Even Jeep replaced the entire car when a new car had lower arm failure. Unfortunate incidents are turned to positive PR campaign.

Last of all, how on earth this car pass the dealership PDI? Not much details are given about the actual nature of the issue but when there is a need of full engine replacement, then it must be some serious issue and such serious issues won't be occurring within a flash. It should have been flagged during dealership PDI. Not only Hyundai, I may equally blame the dealership for failing to detect it during their PDI or they may have knowingly sold a defective car.
NaXal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 08:53   #11
BHPian

I agree with GTO, a car replacement is the right way to go ahead.

I’ve heard of a few cars from various manufacturers facing challenges in the first month. It could be a QC issue at the factory or could be mishandling during transit or at the showroom. I’ve seen cars driven from stockyard to showroom at Pune and I’m terrified to buy a car from the showroom.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 09:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think this thread should be highlighted to Hyundai India. Maybe even to Hyundai Korea. Also till the matter is resolved the customer should ask for a courtesy car. Being a first time Hyundai owner of the new Verna this gives me the jitters. I am seeking 5 year warranty myself for that peace of mind.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 10:46   #13
BHPian

At my exhortations, a friend was considering a top end petrol Verna AT since it was the only viable/palatable option offering 6 airbags within his budget. No longer.

Any assembly line can make defective units. Some of them can even pass multiple QCs (though dealer level QC on Hyundai cars is terrible in my experience with friend's purchases from the 2 dealers here). But the way Hyundai is handling this and brazenly taking advantage of India's virtually non-existent consumer protection is an issue.

Though of course, it's not at all unexpected - in their responses to dealer malpractices and their replacement policy/behaviour on parts/assemblies (both defective and wear and tear), they have made it clear that they are a profit focused "traditional" (to put it politely) corporation over the years. They simply rely on their above average quality of product and then stifle one-off incidents like this, all the while fleecing customers at after sales.

Neither do I expect things to change given the market's mindset and their current position in the market.
Mu009 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 11:55   #14
BANNED

This is one of a rare incident I would say as have owned multiple Hyundai cars over the time and my current ride is a Verna petrol MT and and Elite i20 petrol .
Have owned the Fluidic Elantra 2012 earlier and kept for 5 years. Never have these cars made me feel sorry for the ownership and rather the maintenance has been minimum with complete peace of mind. As for Quality i can say they stand much better than the Marutis and at par with Toyota. My next is going to be a Hyundai too . Usually get my cars Serviced at Capital Hyundai Noida and the experience has always been delightful. The guys know the job and have always attended to my car with dedication.
Hyundai should learn from errors and ensure the consumer trust is maintained.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 11:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hin-month.html (Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month) - Petrol engine, Issue with HVAC, car replaced

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...61-km-odo.html (MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)) - Diesel engine, issue with gearbox, gearbox replaced

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...s-new-car.html (Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car) - Diesel engine, issue with engine, engine replaced

This thread - Petrol engine, engine issue, engine replacement offered

All 4 seem to be (atleast on first glance) issues which are unrelated to each other.
Nevertheless, Hyundai should jump in and double it's QC vigor, and drill down to the underlying cause.

Perhaps it is a different supplier of rubber hoses? or a different source of aluminum (for engine/gearbox) ? Whatever it is - they should get into a war room and not relent until they get to the root cause.

Plus offer a brand new car with no further questions asked to the customer to try and cover for the bad press received till now.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed