Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 18:53   #31
BHPian

I own a 2000 Hyundai Accent with 62,000 kms on it. Apart from regular services, the only replacements are the battery, the tyres and the silencer.

It has been through EVERYTHING, the most congested and worst of Mumbai lanes, regular highway runs around Mumbai, been driven by all sorts of people, has remained unused for months, but is still
going very strong and do not wish to part with it for a few more years.
Old 16th January 2007, 18:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

I haven't owned a Hyundai long enough to comment on the question in this thread but about the silencer rusting part, I had a Daewoo Matiz for about 3-4 years and even that car had this issue. Looks like a Korean automobile problem since my Fiat Palio S10 is a little over 3 years old now and hasn't had this issue so far.
Old 16th January 2007, 19:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Interesting - everyone who owns or has owned an Hyundai seems to swear by them while everyone that quotes someone else seems to swear AT them.
Old 16th January 2007, 19:07   #34
Team-BHP Support

Now...

Am not a fan of hyundai in any way...

But, am looking forward to a new small car with the CRDi badge... CRDi the 'best' thing i can say of hyundai...

I have driven santro (Its a better city car than my wagonR, if comfort and space, and A.S.S can be compromised)... But the accent CRDi forced me to change my perception of diesels being slow and lazy, and heavy maintaince things...

I hope hyundai's new car comes out soon, with a CRDi option...

@Steeroid: Not everyone...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th January 2007 at 19:12.
Old 16th January 2007, 19:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Think hyundai is only getting better and better with their newer generation cars and in the near future they are sure to give toyota,honda,european manufacturers a good run for their money.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th January 2007 at 20:00.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:03   #36
BHPian

hey
ok this is OT but i have heard that hyunadi bought the crdi technology from mercedes?is it true?
Old 16th January 2007, 20:18   #37
BHPian

I own a Santro Xing for the last 1 year (done just above 12000kms) and so far no major issues.
Though off late I hear some rattling (only if observed carefully) on bumpy roads and while idling with A/c on but no much issues.... hmmmm... only it inspired me to look at the ICE upgrades !! :-)
I appreciate the after sales service from the dealer (the buying experience was also good for me). They have been very prompt on what they did so far.
BTW I bought the car from Advaith Hyundai, Bangalore.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
hey
ok this is OT but i have heard that hyunadi bought the crdi technology from mercedes?is it true?
No they bought Detroit Diesel from Daimler-Chrysler. DD engineers the diesel engines for Hyundai.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Hyundai did all the diesel lovers a favour by introducing CRDI technology on the more mass market cars[if I may call them so],something which only the well heeled[merc owners] were enjoying/benefitting of earlier.
Old 17th January 2007, 03:13   #40
LLL
BHPian

Santro Xing XP - Satin Grey color - 3.25 years/38k Km. 5 services (5k, 10k, 19k, 28k, 37k)

Looks relatively new as compared to WagonR with same spec. Gives a FE of 16-17 in City and 20 on highways.

Whenever i drive the car, i find its performance improving and i think the car is now at its peak. I think i will not have any problems for another 30-35k kms.

that said, in terms of performance, i usually find myself overtaking altos, fiestas, zens, safaris etc. Also am always first off the blocks when light turns green...

Only gripe is slightly expensive servicing. But am quite pleased with Santro.
Old 17th January 2007, 09:36   #41
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep agree with LLL, Hyundai and can will take a lot of abuse and are definatly better put togather than the competition.

Santro XS 2005

37K done 3 free + 2 Paid services. NO issues whatsoever. My friend who had bought a wagonR at the same time has been having problems but Santro's interiors AGE well and still looks new. While wagonR looks old.

Accent 2006

10K done no issues as its still in warranty.
Old 17th January 2007, 09:36   #42
BHPian

My car 2000 Amazon Green coloured Santro Dx model has done more than 76k kms and would be seven years old in coming march. I really love this car. And I realized this to what extent I like my car when last sunday one of our not so close acquaintances approached me for buying my car. I had always thought that that one day I shall sell it and get myself something fast and powerful. Thinking of this as a nice opportunity, I went to showroom and checked on Swift VXI with ABS. But on my way back home, in retrospective mood, I realized that car is too good to sell off. Moreover, Swift's low end torque is nothing great and this is what I love in Santro. Very next day I called off the deal and I am pleased with my decision.

All these years, my brother caused a few fender bender types of accidents and they were promptly addressed. The engine has never been opened up. The car is also having original clutch. As many mentioned I too had the rusted sliencer problem. Two years back got it changed to a locally procured steel one. Expect it to last longer. The brake pads are changed once (due for change in next service). The rear suspensions have got hard now and squeaks a little on potholes. But they are still manageable.

The car gives me more than adequate mileage. I never checked FE in city but on highway with more than decent load, it returned me 19+ mileage. This too when I was touching 110 kmph on clear streches.

Santro upgrade version is due. And if they spruce up the car (tachometer etc.) then it would make sense to go for ABS version of it. I had thought the spare parts of Santro are a bit costlier but in oct or nov month of AutocarIndia there was parts survey. And it showed that it would be difficult to figure out whose spare part bucket is cheaper - Santro or Wagon R. But still I think that labour charges are a bit high in Hyundi authorized service station.

All in all very pleased with my purchase and would recommend buying Santro to anyone.

Thanks.
Old 17th January 2007, 09:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
wow! thats something! thanks for passing the message

painting at a Hyundai centre is costly. If I remember right, I was quoted 40k starting for painting a SAntro !!!!

My old Santro lasted 1.1lac, no complaints, gave got kpl even then. The A.S.S. and reliability made me get another Santro or I would have got a Palio 1.6
40K for Santro!!!!! When I asked about Accent full body painting Popular Hyundai said its 22K.
Old 17th January 2007, 09:45   #44
BHPian

I've clocked 53,500 kms on my Accent GLE in a little over 18 months time. The car had no major issues although interior rattling had occurred. The problem was the faulty coffee tray in the dashboard which was replaced free.

Now recently, there is another rattling sound heard when driven on bad roads on the rear left door pad. Have to get it rectified. Apart from these negligible issues there is no other problems at all. Mileage of the car is increasing by time I feel. The average mileage which was 12 - 12.5 before 50,000 kms has increased to 13 - 13.8 now. I guess its due to the change of two tyres. I've put on Michelin XM1 Tubeless radials as the first change of tyres. The remaining three tyres including one extra may still go for quite some time. On highways alone I have clocked 17+ once and 15+ quite a number of times.

I was thinking of exchanging with Verna but the great performance by the car is holding me back. May be I'll do it before the warranty expires on June 2007.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 17th January 2007 at 09:47.
Old 17th January 2007, 13:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Feb 2000 Santro GLS; Our First Santro. Having owned Marutis for over a decade, I used to hate the Santro and found it funny at best. But that was before I totalled my Maruti 1000 (talk about dumb car names) and had to buy this car. I kept this car till 2004 and drove it 110000 KMs in that time. During that time it saw several trips to Jaipur, McLeodganj, Manali, Chandigarh etc. Most friends who had seen me driving this car (the way I did) soon bought Santros as well. I remember I got the car serviced only when it broke down. Yes, I have never mistreated a car like I did that Santro. But it only broke down on me once, that too when the Battery conked out after 3 years. Replaced the battery and that was it. By the time I sold the car in 2004, we had already bought another Hyundai.

April 2001 Santro ZipDrive; my Dads Esteem was replaced with this as he had seen the beating my Santro had taken. He also wanted a more manageable car in traffic as he likes to drive himself. He still has this car and it has now done 130000 KMs, without ANY breakdowns. His OE Bridgestone tyres lasted 105000 KMs, after which I got him Yokos. There has been no engine work ever done on this car. Apart from the oil and filter stuff, this car too has never asked for much. The rear suspension is now gone and it is costing to 5k to put in. My dad isnt really willing to sell it and is going to keep it for some more time.

August 2004 Getz GLS; my current car. 60k on the meter and its still going strong, just like new. I love the handling and the build quality. I am gonna keep this car for a while. I absolutely love it. Incidentally, most of our friend circle is also bewitched by this car and there are already 4-5 cars around me. Everyone loves the airy interiors, touch and feel and the driving experience of this car.

Jan 2006 Santro eRLX XO: My mom also changed her 1998 Zen to this car. And she is far happier. She loves this car... And I drive it sometimes too... Its peppier and realy torquey. I have a lot of fun with it.. as some of our Delhi members have witnessed first hand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks