Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2020, 10:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The brute current Scorpio will still pull respectable sales numbers in semi urban and rural markets where its ruggedness matters more than any 10" ICE screen. Even now, the Scorpio sells in lower trims the most.
Agree with the point on the Scorpio. There are particular customers who'll not touch anything other than a Scorpio.

The old XUV 500 shouldn't be sold IMHO as it is a Halo product for Mahindra. If Mahindra plays their cards right, the new Scorpio can fill in the gap just under the new XUV 500 with some overlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
I agree sir, but I feel that Mahindra shouldn't compromise by selling an outdated model like the Scorpio, even in rural markets, especially when it lacks on a key front like safety.
Haven't many Indians signed the cheque for Marutis? As long as the regulations allow, auto makers will keep selling models lacking in essential safety features.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Haven't many Indians signed the cheque for Marutis? As long as the regulations allow, auto makers will keep selling models lacking in essential safety features.
Agreed sir, I just feel that Mahindra took a step forward with fresh offerings such as the Marazzo and the XUV300, that are high on the safety quotient, while on the contrary, the Scorpio is a nearly 18 year old model, that scored zero stars in the global NCAP. By selling the new Scorpio only, Mahindra will progress further in safety, especially when it comes to rural markets.

Of course, the decision to implement sub standard parameters for safety in India, has been a huge disappointment, considering the country's potential for Human Capital.
Old 19th January 2020, 09:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has slowly taken off the XUV500 AWD from its line up. This means that there will be no BSVI AWD XUV500 at least for now.
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen XUV 5OO spied again:

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-mahindraxuv5002020overdrive3.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-mahindraxuv5002020overdrive1.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-mahindraxuv5002020overdrive4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:25   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Mahindra has slowly taken off the XUV500 AWD from its line up. This means that there will be no BSVI AWD XUV500 at least for now.
If it come true, it will be sad news for me. Because I booked XUV500 W11 AWD BS4 this month Jan 20, later dealer informed it is not possible to deliver the same, as the company production changed to BS6 vehicles and it will available only after April 20. The sad thing is that, they do not know any thing about BS6 version, like price change, specification change, etc. They excepting that Mahindra will disclose the new version in coming February Auto Show. I am in little bit confusion whether I should wait for BS6 XUV500 AWD or think of alternative.

Please help me.
vijayan.mahesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 EV concept to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo

Mahindra is planning to showcase an XUV500 EV concept at the 2020 Auto Expo. The car is likely to give us a preview of the exterior styling of the next-gen XUV500.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-mahindraxuv500conceptevautoexpo2020.jpg

According to the teaser image, the concept car is likely get slim triple LED headlights and fog lamps. The car also appears to have an illuminated logo on the grille. The next-gen XUV500 is expected to get a revised exterior featuring a new grille and flush-fitting door handles. It is also expected to get a new interior.

The new XUV500 could be offered with BS6-compliant 2.0-litre diesel and petrol engines.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 08:25   #67
BANNED

2020 Mahindra XUV500 automatic spied with tow hook – Interiors

More clearer pictures of the interiors emerged.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2020mahindraxuv500interiorsexteriorstowhookspied4.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2020mahindraxuv500interiorsexteriorstowhookspied2.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2020mahindraxuv500interiorsexteriorstowhookspied3.jpg  

Last edited by wheelguy : 31st January 2020 at 08:43.
wheelguy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:19   #68
BHPian

I feel like XUV-5OO Is losing a lot of it's muscle, the thing which made it stand out and look butch among other 7 seaters. Don't know why but it doesn't seem to be looking SUV enough.

MOD NOTE - We advise you to install spell checkers and please proof read your post [preview post] before submitting it.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st January 2020 at 09:25. Reason: Mod note attached.
Skorp_Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 13:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
2020 Mahindra XUV500 automatic spied with tow hook – Interiors

More clearer pictures of the interiors emerged.
Looks like a cheaper feeling version of the Seltos. Hope the finish on the production version is much much better.
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 13:14   #70
BHPian

An analog instrument cluster with a tiny MID in between the speedo and tacho (which works for the Thar but not for the XUV500) surrounded by super cheap-looking plastic. Check out the panel gap to the top-left of the driver's side aircon vent which should not be acceptable even in a mule. Design testing should be able to identify and rectify it. Kill me!

What is wrong with Indian automakers? This looks like a repeat of the Harrier saga. Even before it was launched, everyone knew that the Seltos and Hector were coming and that they would be loaded to the gills with features that would make the Harrier look like a Bolero. Do they not understand the evolving Indian auto market which now has higher expectations, and rightly so. How did such a large MNC miss out on a first-mover advantage?

They went for the age-old "Let's launch a spartan version now and a year later we will add some of the missing essentials and call it an'ALL NEW' version". That doesn't work anymore. You get one shot. With the sheer number of competitors and even more no. of launches, nobody is going to give you a second chance when you play catch up.

I'm sure someone in the entire product team would have mentioned the word 'sunroof' at some point. The manager must have been like "Toh phir mid-cycle refresh mein kya daalenge?" Same with an auto box option (I'm talking about you Altroz). It's not a luxury anymore. The basic expectation of choice, especially since you claim to be targeting young people. Even the new Harrier with a sunroof has a tiny central screen. If the established competition is launching an 8-inch screen, you should put a tablet in there (learn from tesla) because face it, that's what sells and also, Kia isn't the smaller brand that needs to try harder. You are.

It's depressing to see our homegrown automakers lose out like this due to easily avoidable omissions that don't need the invention of new tech. It is simply due to an outdated product lifecycle. Hope Mahindra and TATA do better and launch cars that can give others a run for their money, technologically and features wise, if not mechanically.

Last edited by aaychat : 1st February 2020 at 13:19.
aaychat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 16:34   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaychat View Post
Check out the panel gap to the top-left of the driver's side aircon vent which should not be acceptable even in a mule. Design testing should be able to identify and rectify it. Kill me!
Not sure but it seems to me that a temporary plastic shell is placed around the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaychat View Post
If the established competition is launching an 8-inch screen, you should put a tablet in there (learn from tesla) because face it, that's what sells and also, Kia isn't the smaller brand that needs to try harder. You are.
Others have mentioned about a large screen that looks to be around 10 (?) inches.

Anyways, is it just me who doesnt see much of a marked improvement in the luggage space at the back and the third raw space looks similar if not the same. Also, anyone know about sliding second raw? Don't see anything to indicate it's presence.

Last edited by vjjustin : 1st February 2020 at 16:37.
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:23   #72
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, but from the pictures of the new XUV-500, it seems that the door handles go flush into the body, like the ones present on the Range Rover Velar and the Tesla Model 3.
Old 17th February 2020, 12:18   #73

Hi Folks,

Great to read the discussions! This has really got me thinking.

Wondering what’s up with the launch XUV 500 2nd generation. Reports now suggest that they will now launch it between August to Diwali season.

To me it seems very interesting. Despite having been a Hyundai loyalist for the last 15 years, and now eyeing the new Creta D Auto.

If we connect the dots as per the teasers, press reports and recent statements by Mahindra's leadership- two key takeaways:

First, 2nd Gen XUV 500 will borrow the platform and major elements of the frame from Ssangyong's Korando.

Second, recent statement on capacity sharing with Ford to develop engines seems very compelling. This could enable Mahindra to borrow/imbibe Ford’s Ecoblue 2 liter Diesel engine in the new XUV 500. Developing a new engine does not make sense after having collaborate with Ford the way they have in India. The engine used in XUV 500 may obviously be a differently tuned than the one being used in the Ford Everest/Endeavors.

Now with a Korendo platform which has been appreciated for its great handling, and the Ecoblue engine which is capable of delivering up to 35-40% efficiently more than outgoing 2.2 mHawk- THE NEW GEN XUV COULD BE A KILLER OF A PRODUCT!

A new frame will certainly omit many chinks that the current XUV frame has. And the refined engine will give XUV and edge over the likes of Compass and Hectors of the world.

Is my imagination running wild? I would love to hear what you guys think about it.

Keep driving. Keep living!
Cheers!
Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:23   #74
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Few observations from the new pics:

1. First and foremost, this is definitely the XUV5OO. The gearshift knob, the handbrake lever etc are clearly from the XUV. Lots of external elements like the shape of the A and C-pillar etc also are distinctly XUV5OO.

2. The new XUV seems to be longer, possibly by about 15 cms. Check out the car from the C-pillar onwards. This would mean some meaningful luggage space with all 3 rows of seats up.

3. Rear seems to have been reworked, but difficult to guess exact changes. The rear wiper is a straight lift from the previous version, but seems to have a bigger sweep angle than earlier.

4. The claw-type handles would be missed, but the Velar type flush door handles would more than make up for those.

5. The tow hook on rear seems to have been relocated to the center from the left of the bumper. More logical placement.

6. On the inside, the dashboard seems to have been reworked extensively. The main infotainment screen seems bigger, mounted higher than earlier and at a more user-friendly angle (more upright) than earlier. The cowl extending over the screen would help with avoiding reflections on the screen and thereby better visibility.

7. The flat-bottom steering has some clues from the earlier version. The steering mounted controls have been completely reworked and should be way more functional than the earlier button-overload design.

8. The ACC unit seems to have been carried over as is from earlier version, but the AC vents have been redesigned completely. The center vents have a different position as well. The whitish panel surrounding the side air vents looks pretty bad IMHO

9. The huge button-bank above the ACC controls from earlier version seems to have been done away with. Most likely they would have moved all that functionality to the touch-interface.

10. The meter console is again a completely new design. Looking at the gap between the 2 dials, it seems like finally the XUV5OO is getting a real MID screen between the dials instead of the numerous alert indicator lights.

11. The wiper stalk design is also completely new and more logical than earlier. The headlight stalk is not visible, but pretty sure even that would have been redesigned.

12. Radio antenna (and not a shark fin) on the rear looks out of place. Please note the current XUV5OO uses a printed antenna on one of the rear quarter glasses.

Last edited by SDP : 17th February 2020 at 19:31.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 04:31   #75
BHPian

Found this test mule on the way from Chennai to Trichy and it looked like the new XUV500. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong and change it to the right thread.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-img_6682.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-img_6681.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th February 2020 at 07:41. Reason: Typo fixed
freakmuzik is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed