Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 18:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

For me, the DRL really looks gaudy, wish this does not make it into Production

And the lights do not look LED, it looks more like halogen setup for lower variants. Also, I do not see any fog lamp housing.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16048293714756962.jpg
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:49   #197

One thing that I routinely fail to understand is Mahindra's acquisition of Pininfarina and what they've brought to the table. Across the board, Mahindra designs seem like abominations (the "inspired" Thar being a notable exception for now).

The KUV is in the all time hall of fame along with the S-presso in the ugliest cars of all time.

The facelifted XUV500 spy shots don't inspire any confidence and I feel it will have none of the wow that it garnered at launch almost a decade ago.
pelican90 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:55   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post
One thing that I routinely fail to understand is Mahindra's acquisition of Pininfarina and what they've brought to the table. Across the board, Mahindra designs seem like abominations (the "inspired" Thar being a notable exception for now).
So true. They make the cheesiest bloody designs. Some one in their design house needs to be whipped. Why are so obsessed with in your face/scare the neighborhood kid designs.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 20:16   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The facelifted XUV500 spy shots don't inspire any confidence and I feel it will have none of the wow that it garnered at launch almost a decade ago.
BTW this is supposed to be next gen XUV500 with totally new re-skinning and not merely a facelift. Silhouette looks identical to the current SUV, probably because not much has changed in the body-shell/super frame.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 21:24   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Silhouette looks identical to the current SUV, probably because not much has changed in the body-shell/super frame.
Even I feel the same when I see the side profile of the new-gen XUV500 as compared to the previous gen, looks like Mahindra is doing the same thing as what Toyota did with the Innova Crysta compared to the Innova, used the same slightly modified platform but say it is a completely new one. But I could be wrong on this as well .
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 21:25   #201
BHPian

Quote:

The KUV is in the all time hall of fame along with the S-presso in the ugliest cars of all time.
I take it you haven’t seen the Pontiac Aztek.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...tiac_Aztek.jpg
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 21:44   #202
BHPian

Well, even though a clear cut copy, I wish they at least retain the same design elements rather than making it a double lane to show that
it isn't a perfect copy

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2018renaultmeganers13.jpg
Old 9th November 2020, 23:13   #203
BHPian

I think the new XUV500 will be more of a heavily facelifted version of the existing model. If your look carefully at the headlights, they have basically made the DRL in the same space as the current car foglamp used to be. Even the glass in between the c and d pillars seem to be the same as existing XUV. I just hope they don't do the second generation Scorpio and retain the costly body panels of the older model.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-images-3.jpeg  

Old 10th November 2020, 01:46   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
An autonomous tech can be expected as spied before, the bumper bottom -center is covered. The question is whether it's a 360 view camera or an autonomous tech ?
What you circled is the forward radar. There is also a camera on the windshield which makes me think this is going to be used for a collision warning/braking/pedestrian safety as well as an adaptive cruise control. The halogen headlights look like this is a lower end trim and I am surprised that these safety features have been included in this version. Or maybe it's because it's a prototype car with mixed equipment.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 10:57   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Of course it is quirky - it is French.

The design is a direct rip off or inspiration from the European Renault cars - like the Megane, or the 2020 European Captur.

Attachment 2078012

Attachment 2078013
I guess we can add GMC too, to the "inspired by" list.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2021-gmc-terrain.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2021gmcterrainat4.jpg  

wheeledsoul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 11:36   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
I take it you haven’t seen the Pontiac Aztek.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...tiac_Aztek.jpg
Oh dear that's an ugly piece of junk, I'd still say that the KUV100 is uglier, probably because they hired varun dhawan to do the ads, which made one feel like punching their TV screens all the more.

I think they'll do a shoddy plastic surgery of their already overdone previous gen design and then do some vague advertising about freedom and cheetahs or such.

People have moved on from being swayed by these theatrics. They need real substantial change inside out to call a car a "new gen" one. This XUV500 doesn't seem to cut it.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:27   #207
Senior - BHPian

Deja vu. Flashback to the original XUV5OO thread - we bashed it, every part, design and looks. Until M&M announced the pricing.

Let's see how this one pans out
ph03n!x is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 15:45   #208
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What you circled is the forward radar. There is also a camera on the windshield which makes me think this is going to be used for a collision warning/braking/pedestrian safety as well as an adaptive cruise control.
But in my knowledge redar tech is not yet opened for mass productions other than military service.
Old 10th November 2020, 15:53   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
But in my knowledge redar tech is not yet opened for mass productions other than military service.
I think this info you have dates back to 2016-17 or so after which certain frequencies which these radars operate on, namely 77-84Ghz and 24Ghz for the corner radars were declassified by the government. After that manufacturers like Volvo, Mercedes slowly started introducing safety systems. Volvo had earlier introduced camera-only systems which would give only alarms, but with the added radar we could even get braking intervention.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 16:42   #210
BHPian

I find a lot of the comments about the vehicle's design quite interesting but i must admit that i do not agree with the views expressed here. I personally feel that this vehicle will be a good looker and will push the Mahindra brand forward.

There are other spy pics available on automotive sites and I would like to mention a few things that stand out.

1. There is a new design element at the back that indicates there will be a kink below the line of the tail lights.

2. Both front and rear bumpers have been designed flush with the body and this is indicative of compliance with pedestrian safety laws in place in many developed markets.

3. The proportions of the body (even under camouflage) are much better than the present generation.

4. Closer inspection of the B and C pillars show thicker padding. This can be indicative of both increased structural integrity and also of better NVH insulation.

5. The wheels sit fuller in the wheel arches and gives a more cohesive look to the overall vehicle.

6. The criticism of the headlight clusters seem to be without any consideration for how they will look as a cohesive design feature of the whole body. There are many manufacturers who have utilised similar and wilder designs and created good looking vehicles. Personally, the chiselled finish of the headlamp units, remind me of a Subaru-esq front.

7. If the new Mahindra Thar is any indication of the growth of Mahindra as a auto manufacturer, I believe this vehicle will also set new standards for an indigenous brand.

8. I am particularly interested in seeing the kind of improvements that will be made in materials quality and the quality of finish of the overall vehicle.

9. Mahindra's newer vehicles have had considerable design input from their North American studio, as well as Pininfarina, and the Marazzo and Thar, both vehicles which have been designed with international input are attractive. I'm sure this XUV will be a vastly improved product from the current generation.

10. It is easy to fall back on their poor design heritage but surely an organization like Mahindra has learnt a few things over the years and I believe those should come to the fore in this vehicle. Despite the re-badged Alturas, this really is their flagship indigenous vehicle.
Manesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks