Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 11:59   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

One of the interesting things I have noticed from these spy pics is 2 different layouts for the console. One of them is symmetrical with the gear stick in the center and the 'rotary dial' and the cup holders right behind them. In the other layout, they are offset from the center and the layout is not symmetrical.
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-20201101112509_xuv5002.jpeg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-mahindraxuv500interiorspyshot83de.jpeg
Guna is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:22   #467
AYP
Senior - BHPian

These interiors make me hear death bells for the Safari. Unless Mahindra goofs up big time(very high price, very poor dynamics etc.), this car, along with the Crysta will dominate the segment and the others like the Harrier and the Safari will be left to pick up the left overs. Will be interesting to see how the MG Hector will be affected by this.

Interesting times ahead for the D-1 segment SUV(and MPV) space. The upcoming Alcazar from Hyundai, while belonging to a segment below, will also affect the sales of the D-1 segment SUVs.
AYP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:31   #468
Senior - BHPian

I'm not liking that 'bund' on the dashboard. Also too much chrome. The air vents need to be devoid of that. Hope Mahindra brings out a classy vehicle (And price it well), as I'm also looking forward to bringing this home.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:21   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Also too much chrome. The air vents need to be devoid of that.
Chrome knobs certainly look garish. Best would be to give a dark, soft (rubberized) plastic but have thin chrome ring in the front.
Mahindra should invite public (select few) for a feedback camp to iron out few finer details. I am ready to spare my entire day
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:26   #470
Senior - BHPian

I have a clearer shot. Let me know your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-screenshot-20210316-1.22.31-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:29   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, for a Mahindra, this does look neat and surprisingly classy.
Hope there are no niggles in the first batch with all this tech now on offer.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:35   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too many colors/textures. Second layer from top has beige leather/leatherette finish. Right below that seems to be a silver finish. They don't go well together IMHO. Chrome inserts on a silver finished panel is also bit of an overkill. This particular trim at least doesn't have fake wood finish on the door pad, which I believe is present on the top-variant.
But in general, this is a very good effort from Mahindra.

Last edited by Guna : 16th March 2021 at 13:36.
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 14:36   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

This year is going to be busy, while we look at a Safari on Cheetah situation, it may as well be the Alcazar stealing the real vote - the one that involves money.

Nevertheless Alcazar and XUV is already creating doubts on the Safari buyer, to the effect that someone expecting a safari delivery this week said to me that he will regret not waiting for these two.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 14:58   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This year is going to be busy, while we look at a Safari on Cheetah situation, it may as well be the Alcazar stealing the real vote - the one that involves money.

Nevertheless Alcazar and XUV is already creating doubts on the Safari buyer, to the effect that someone expecting a safari delivery this week said to me that he will regret not waiting for these two.
New launches keep coming one after the other, it's a chicken or egg first situation. So does one wait forever, or look at the options available currently and choose what suits them best?

Expect XUV to be followed up by Alcazar, KIA 3 row variant etc... and rest assured players like Renault, Maruti/Toyota or even new entrants like Peugeot etc could line up with their own models.

As a manufacturer what counts in such a situation is the first mover advantage.
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:40   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
New launches keep coming one after the other, it's a chicken or egg first situation. So does one wait forever, or look at the options available currently and choose what suits them best?

Expect XUV to be followed up by Alcazar, KIA 3 row variant etc... and rest assured players like Renault, Maruti/Toyota or even new entrants like Peugeot etc could line up with their own models.

Some History : First move happened 10 years ago. XUV was launched in 6 cities and received 8000 bookings from these cities in just 2 days as part of phase 1 and they stopped booking afterwards. Car was being sold in the blackmarket at a higher price than actual showroom price!!

Such things are unlikely to repeat because 7 seat crossover buyer has more options - sort of or maybe not.

The vehicle was a cut price alternative to premium sedans and crossovers like Captiva, CRV, Outlander etc. Those things do not exist anymore, no prizes for guessing why.

For someone who is not brand loyal, what matters is that they get a good deal - so when 3 launches of their area of interest are happening within months of each others, it does get confusing.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:00   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some History : First move happened 10 years ago. XUV was launched in 6 cities and received 8000 bookings from these cities in just 2 days as part of phase 1 and they stopped booking afterwards. Car was being sold in the blackmarket at a higher price than actual showroom price!!.
Exactly, M&M moved into a segment with no alternatives and stamped their authority. Yet, it's the same manufacturer who a decade later is struggling to sell 1k units a month of a well established product like the XUV500.

Brings into question, is the impending launch of the XUV500 2 years late? Would the Safari have a free roost had that been the case?

The consumer is not going to wait for the manufacturers convenience, they move on with what options suit them best when they want to buy a car.
Old 16th March 2021, 17:59   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really can't fathom, why would people jump the gun and hurriedly invest at around 26-27L, without taking an informed decision. Only possible explanation I can think of is, that the person requires a car immediately (rarest of scenarios)

Quote:

Waiting for the Mahindra/Alcazar is a different situation here. Everyone knows that these launches are just round the corner (say 3-6 months post the Safari launch). When one is investing 25L+ in a car, it's a sensible decision to wait and get the best product (since the wait time isn't huge).

Quote:
Not really sure of this scenario, especially in case of Tata. Harrier had the first mover advantage and was launched in much fan fare. It had good numbers initially, but with the launch of Hector, the numbers plummeted. Hector on the other hand has been the clear leader of the segment.

I guess similar fate awaits for the Safari as well, as I am pretty sure the new XUV500 will blow off both Harrier/Safari twins. Even the Hector twins would be affected, but they would fare a bit better compared to Harrier Twins.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:10   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
One of the interesting things I have noticed from these spy pics is 2 different layouts for the console. One of them is symmetrical with the gear stick in the center and the 'rotary dial' and the cup holders right behind them. In the other layout, they are offset from the center and the layout is not symmetrical.
In the first pic, you can see there in the center, you will notice the Electronic Parking Brakes and no manual gear lever. The second picture shows when there is a manual handbrake, the gear lever and drive selector buttons are left biased.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:33   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

I really can't fathom, why would people jump the gun and hurriedly invest at around 26-27L, without taking an informed decision.
Perhaps they are far smarter than you give them credit for, and are perfectly capable of making decisions.

Quote:
Not really sure of this scenario, especially in case of Tata. Harrier had the first mover advantage and was launched in much fan fare. It had good numbers initially, but with the launch of Hector, the numbers plummeted. Hector on the other hand has been the clear leader of the segment.
Feb 2021: Hector 5/7 seater 3,662 units vis a vis Harrier/Safari 3,737 units

Quote:
I guess similar fate awaits for the Safari as well, as I am pretty sure the new XUV500 will blow off both Harrier/Safari twins. Even the Hector twins would be affected, but they would fare a bit better compared to Harrier Twins.
XUV500 may blow away the competition, OR meet the fate of other recent M&M launches.

Because lately the Thar apart all other launches have had very lukewarm response in the Indian market. Looking at Feb sales Alturas (36 units), KUV 100 (04 units), Marazzo (120 units), TUV300 etc..... Even in a hot selling compact SUV segment the XUV300 is not among the top 5 despite the 45-50k worth of special offers!

So no one really can guarantee success in a competitive car market, let alone blow away whetever.

Plus there are new launches every few months. So after the XUV there will be Alcazar, so why not wait for the Hyundai. Then the KIA 3 seater, so wait some more. Soon in a years time we hear of more launches being lined up, then keep waiting! I don't think it works that way.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 07:13. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
shortbread is online now   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th March 2021, 19:59   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps they are far smarter than you give them credit for, and are perfectly capable of making decisions.
I just was genuinely confused as to why one might not wait to consider a strong contender in the segment, when investing 26-27L on a TATA. Also as evidenced, by OP's quotes, he seems to be already regretting it. Pretty sure, their capability of making decision wasn't as good as you are thinking.

Quote:
Feb 2021: Hector 5/7 seater 3,662 units vis a vis Harrier/Safari 3,737 units
First month, where the dealer dispatches will always be higher for Safari. Pretty sure the following months will prove otherwise.

Quote:
XUV500 may blow away the competition, OR meet the fate of other recent M&M launches.

Because lately the Thar apart all other launches have had very lukewarm response in the Indian market. Looking at Feb sales Alturas (36 units), KUV 100 (04 units), Marazzo (120 units), TUV300 etc..... Even in a hot selling compact SUV segment the XUV300 is not among the top 5 despite the 45-50k worth of special offers!

So no one really can guarantee success in a competitive car market, let alone blow away whetever.

Plus there are new launches every few months. So after the XUV there will be Alcazar, so why not wait for the Hyundai. Then the KIA 3 seater, so wait some more. Soon in a years time we hear of more launches being lined up, then keep waiting! I don't think it works that way.
XUV500 is bound to succeed, with wide list of segment firsts and not to mention the best engines, but obviously I can't show you the future for now. Let's wait and it will be clear soon.

It's upto personal preferences. I know the XUV is arriving in next three months, and I would definitely wait for it, if I was in the market. Pretty sure the Alcazar won't offer the same level of space as an XUV/Safari would, so it definitely isn't in my consideration set and won't wait (it's also coming a bit later). About some launches you mentioned post one year, my comment was clearly about waiting for the nearest launches (especially the XUV). PS- Never forced anyone to wait, it's just my perspective.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 07:15. Reason: Quoted post edited
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks