Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 20:53   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
- he seems to be already regretting it.
- Pretty sure, their capability of making decision wasn't as good as you are thinking.
- Pretty sure the following months will prove otherwise.
- Pretty sure the Alcazar won't offer the same level of ...
- XUV500 is bound to succeed.
PRETTY SURE if someone's done the hard grind to afford a 25+ lac SUV, they are perfectly capable of deciding what suits them best! It's ok to be a die hard M&M fan, but there is absolutely no need to question people's decision making skills simply because they prefer a rival product.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 07:15. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
shortbread is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 20:58   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I really can't fathom, why would people jump the gun and hurriedly invest at around 26-27L, without taking an informed decision. Only possible explanation I can think of is, that the person requires a car immediately (rarest of scenarios)
Not always the case. There is then the curious case of emotions, someone who wants to drive a new car and drive it immediately, peer pressure, family's interference etc. So, buying a new car decisions are not always 100% driven by rationale.
Old 16th March 2021, 21:20   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
PRETTY SURE if someone's done the hard grind to afford a 25+ lac SUV, they are perfectly capable of deciding what suits them best! It's ok to be a die hard M&M fan, but there is absolutely no need to question people's decision making skills simply because they prefer a rival product.
I am no M&M fan. Infact I am not the kind of being a brand loyalist.

The fact that the person is second Guessing their own decision of buying a Safari , by just based on few spy pics of the soon to be launched rival(s) shows their decision making skills in choosing the suitable car for their requirements.

That said, I am not into questioning their decision of buying the Safari. My only point was, why don't people wait for the launch of a rivalling product which is just few months away, instead of second Guessing their decision of newly purchased car. Again this was more of rhetorical point, and never intended to get into a tirade of questioning the decision of the buyer.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 07:16. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 16th March 2021, 22:01   #484
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support:

Folks, kindly stick to discussing the product and its merits/demerits vis a vis competition, and please avoid arguing about consumers' personal preferences.

Any more sniping will merit moderator action.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:39   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

As we look at more and more spy pictures come in, it does look like there are features coming in from segments above and remember this has to sell in multiple countries as XUV is already on sale towards the lower end of the market. It is going to have to deal with the KIAs, Hyundai , Nissan and even VW. So we can expect anything from Hector to Tiguan to X trail features to trickle in at a cut price. Like it happened 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post
Not always the case. There is then the curious case of emotions, someone who wants to drive a new car and drive it immediately, peer pressure, family's interference etc. So, buying a new car decisions are not always 100% driven by rationale.
Precisely the scenario I was referring to and this person is a happy XUV owner as well.

PS : I am not a crossover person as such but just stating the obvious based on the product's history.
Old 16th March 2021, 23:04   #486
BHPian

Mahindra had done great work with the interiors and exterior of the currently launched Thar and dare I say that its not their Flag-ship or Bread and Butter model. But with XUV 500 about to be launched in Q2 or Q3, they have amped up everything. Maybe they want to surpass Harrier or create a new segment of their own. With all the scoops shared so far, this looks better and I hope that the front part looks a bit simpler now.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:36   #487
BHPian

XUV was always a great product at launch and gave a run for the money to Tata (read Safari) at the time of launch. Safari was already long in the tooth and Tata was just losing ground in the SUV market. Fast forward to Harrier/Safari launch and the XUV was rather aged and old and couldn't sustain sales.
So the cycle continues and it is good to see the competition winning.

Looking at the spy shots, the new XUV indeed looks good and premium. The additional feature list will help it massively. Pricing will be interesting as anything below Safari might get them numbers but lesser margins. Anything higher might make things difficult. The interesting part is that for Tata, Harrier to Safari convert is possible, for Mahindra, until new Scorpio comes, converts won't happen, so a lot will depend on dealers also I believe.

But then, only if life was all about rationality (I wouldn't have been buying a Thar)
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:50   #488
BHPian

I see a lot of features from the SsangYong Rexton (Alturas) trickling down into the Xuv, based on the spyshot.
Would really be interesting to see how they price it.

Hoping for these :-

+ GNCAP at launch.
+AWD option.
+Not over the top styling.
+Sweetspot pricing.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 07:59   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I see a lot of features from the SsangYong Rexton (Alturas) trickling down into the Xuv, based on the spyshot.
Would really be interesting to see how they price it.

Hoping for these :-

+ GNCAP at launch.
+AWD option.
+Not over the top styling.
+Sweetspot pricing.
The BS6 variants of both XUV and Scorpio ditched the AWD/4WD variant and they also took a bit longer to launch the Automatic variant. I have my doubts that XUV 500 2.0 will miss the AWD because it main rival - Harrier and New Safari do not have an AWD/4WD.
Plus they will also look into the number of AWD that have been sold through out the lifecycle, maybe I am not overthinking it. With Scorpio, I am hoping that it will be launched with a 4WD version and it ought to. I wish if the new XUV is a RWD.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 09:50   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
The BS6 variants of both XUV and Scorpio ditched the AWD/4WD variant and they also took a bit longer to launch the Automatic variant. I have my doubts that XUV 500 2.0 will miss the AWD because it main rival - Harrier and New Safari do not have an AWD/4WD.
Plus they will also look into the number of AWD that have been sold through out the lifecycle, maybe I am not overthinking it. With Scorpio, I am hoping that it will be launched with a 4WD version and it ought to. I wish if the new XUV is a RWD.
We have seen spy pics of the car being tested in snowy hills and many think that it is an AWD version. We have also seen a 'button' which looked like a differential lock. All this leads believe that there will be an AWD version.
I also believe that (the way they are loading the car with features/tech) Mahindra is very ambitious with their newer products and don't base the features on what the probable competitors have. Looks like they really want to take it to the next level in all respects and I don't see them dropping something like the AWD which is so critical for a premium SUV image (and to potentially export)
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 11:16   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post
A couple of more factors to ponder about:
  1. We tend to overestimate the number of people who are aware of all "upcoming" car launches. Car buying is an emotional decision that involves the rest of the family. People like to see what is available on the market; and if the rest of the family agrees they go ahead and make the decision.
  2. The "normal" one year on road consumer test cycle that all new cars by TATA / Mahindra normally have. As GTO said, Harrier 2.0 is the car to buy not Harrier 1.0. So for the "informed" car buyer the wait time is about 15 months rather than 3 months. It will be great if all things are sorted, but somehow the track record does not inspire confidence.
  3. Mahindra seems to have been affected by the semi-conductor shortage significantly more than other manufacturers (as per T-BHP reports; could be wrong). Will this affect the 500 production volumes too?
swami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 11:32   #492
BHPian

Never owned the previous gen XUV, but have frequently sat in and driven a colleague's.

Brilliant vehicle IMO.
- powerful engine with decent handling
- extremely spacious back seat (middle bench technically) + 3rd row if required (or huge boot if not)
- suitable for unpredictable Indian road conditions

It's great for highway road trips, and extremely comfortable when being chauffeured around the city.

If Mahindra sorts out their niggles, this successor will be the perfect all-rounder car for anyone living in India.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:20   #493
AZT
BHPian

If Mahindra does a quick GNCAP test the Safari risks getting 'Out-Safetyd'. Tata has built up that buzz word so much now it's gonna bite them in the back if Mahindra gets this done before them.
Old 17th March 2021, 14:25   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a clearer shot. Let me know your thoughts
This interior takes the game to a whole new level Cant believe that this segment is getting feature loaded to the brim. Back in the day, one had to go for an expensive German car to enjoy these things. Interesting times ahead & like most have said, this will come as a competition to the Safari most probably. The question then will be, do you want to 'Reclaim your life' Or 'Live Young, Live Free' ?
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1.png

Last edited by TrackDay : 17th March 2021 at 14:37.
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 14:54   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This interior takes the game to a whole new level Cant believe that this segment is getting feature loaded to the brim. Back in the day, one had to go for an expensive German car to enjoy these things. Interesting times ahead & like most have said, this will come as a competition to the Safari most probably. The question then will be, do you want to 'Reclaim your life' Or 'Live Young, Live Free' ?
Brilliant statement it really is a question of whether you want to "reclaim your life" or "live young, live free". In my honest opinion, things are going to get a bit rocky for Tata. The XUV doesn't really have the strength of the "Safari" tag but I can already guess that the car will be loaded with several segment first features and our market has proved time and again that it absolutely adores a car loaded with bling and gizmos so the ball is in Mahindra's court regarding how other factors will turn out to be like pricing etc

Maybe by the time the initial euphoria surrounding the new XUV launch has died down, Tata can release an updated version of the Safari like it did with the Harrier. I'm expecting powered tail-gate with foot sensor, full LED setup ( I know a Halogen combo might actually be better but for the janta, full LED is a factor ), AWD ( ? ), blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control along with maybe some more minor features.

Last edited by SaiSW : 17th March 2021 at 14:59.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks