Old 17th March 2021, 23:14   #511
BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2021 Mahindra XUV500 Interior Revealed In Clear Spyshot

Attachment 2133083

Link
Seamless screen housing infotainment and instrument cluster straight from Merc's design?
Old 18th March 2021, 04:19   #512
Senior - BHPian

There’s no doubt the floating screen, all tech features loaded into this product will eat into the share of Safari head-on. I believe the top variant might be a bit more expensive with all bells & whistles Vs the Safari. But, I don’t think the current population will not really bother spending extra if they’re getting more features which seems to-date as compared to the Safari or any other product in the segment which is now old fashioned
Old 18th March 2021, 09:35   #513
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The same FCA engine does duty on

Hector
Hector+
Jeep Compass
Harrier
Safari

Basically the entire segment has the same motor, so definitely not a USP. We can give points for sweet mating that 170 horses to the smooth Hyundai Autobo
The FCA is a proven mill no doubt, but the mHawk can hold its own.
Can we deduct some points for being the rumoured cause of Tata's lack of motivation to send the Harrier twins for a crash test? For allegedly shaving 2 points off an otherwise rumoured 4-star vehicle? I know I'm playing with a lot of assumptions here, but I did some digging, and I have some information that I think may be relevant to this topic.

None, and by that I mean absolutely none of the vehicles with a 2.0 MJD have ever been evaluated for a frontal offset test in the RHD configuration. And no, this doesn't just mean the Jeep Compass. It includes (Yes, I checked the crash results, if available, of each and every one of them):
FCAGeneral MotorsSAIC MotorSuzukiTata MotorsSource: Wikipedia

The LHD 2.0 MJD Compass was tested in EURO NCAP, and the RHD 2.4 L petrol Compass was tested in Australia. The ratings of the tested variants were then extended to other variants via the variant policy in place at these NCAPs, which one can find on their respective websites. Same is the case with cars mentioned above. They have either not been tested, or when tested, it was either the LHD configuration if 2.0 MJD or anything-but-2.0 MJD in the RHD configuration; always and without exception.

You can also see the placement of the oil filter on the 2.0 MJD Indian Compass here, at the 1 minute mark:

I don't claim to know better than the folks at NCAP; I do not possess the required know-how and tools to do so. I simply wanted to make a case for ram87pune, that whatever he was saying may not be entirely untrue. The RHD 2.0 MJD has never been crash tested in the flesh, and the oil filter does seem to be situated at the far end of the engine bay, which according to ram87pune was the cause of the problem.

This is by no means an objective analysis, just speculation. Feel free to disagree if you didn't find the speculative mumbo jumbo useful. Only a crash test may reveal the truth.

PS I: if anyone wants the variant policy for extension of a crash rating but couldn't find it on the website, feel free to ask.

PS II: Can any Harrier/Safari/Hector/Hector plus owners tell me the placement of oil filter on their vehicles?

Last edited by rpm : 18th March 2021 at 10:01.
rpm is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:30   #514
Senior - BHPian

This article says that XUV 500 is among 5 cars getting launched next month
https://gaadiwaadi.com/5-cars-launch...ew-gen-xuv500/

My initial impression was that they are not in touch with the latest developments (semiconductor shortage which is supposed to have pushed the launches) and still going by old reports but I saw that the article also mentions about the 'memory seats' which is a latest finding.

This is what they say: "The next-generation Mahindra XUV500 is expected to launch in India next month. The upcoming SUV has been spied countless times on road tests, and the new model will get a lot of premium features, like a panoramic sunroof, power-adjustable seats (likely with memory function), and a dual-screen dashboard. The powertrain options are expected to be the same as the Thar – a 2.0L turbo-petrol and a 2."
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:54   #515
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 with panoramic sunroof and Scorpio with regular sunroof spotted testing

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160448869759958.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160448914964429.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160448960218905.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160449010485007.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160449058401453.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160449141463224.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160449247678693.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-fb_img_16160449295267870.jpg

Source : Rushlane

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th March 2021 at 10:56.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:02   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV500 with panoramic sunroof and Scorpio with regular sunroof spotted testing
Notice how the sunroof extends beyond C pillar, towards the rear. Normally it stops right above the 2nd row seats or till the C pillar.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:41   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Notice how the sunroof extends beyond C pillar, towards the rear. Normally it stops right above the 2nd row seats or till the C pillar.
Yup, I too was thinking about the same Looks like Mahindra is going for multiple features that are a first in the segment, including the biggest panoramic sunroof on offer Do hope that the launch date is closer. I have no doubt in my mind that a AWD will be a part of the vehicle.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:54   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Yup, I too was thinking about the same Looks like Mahindra is going for multiple features that are a first in the segment, including the biggest panoramic sunroof on offer Do hope that the launch date is closer. I have no doubt in my mind that a AWD will be a part of the vehicle.
Either that or the rear doors being not that long, the C pillar is not placed rearwards ! If you look at the rear seats, they are behind the C pillars a little. Not sure how the current XUV and its C pillars are
Old 18th March 2021, 13:15   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2133917

Attachment 2133921

Source : Rushlane
XUV5OO is noticeably wider, longer and squat looking. Scorpio is taller, boxier, and short in length comparatively. The feeling that I get is, M&M is targeting a significant price gap between 2 SUVs. IMO, XUV is climbing the ladder in price range in new iteration.
Old 18th March 2021, 13:28   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Either that or the rear doors being not that long, the C pillar is not placed rearwards ! If you look at the rear seats, they are behind the C pillars a little. Not sure how the current XUV and its C pillars are
You are right that the head rests appears to be way behind the C pillar. I don't know whether it is because the seats are in fully reclined position. In any case, the sunroof appears larger than what we normally see. May be we need to wait and see if that is indeed the case.
Old 18th March 2021, 13:38   #521
BHPian

Looks like soon after resolving the semiconductor issues they will start production of both the products in high volumes.

If Mahindra provide petrol AT on all variants of XUV , then MG dealers would be forced to re-badge their showrooms, they rely on petrol Hectors.
Old 20th March 2021, 14:26   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
None, and by that I mean absolutely none of the vehicles with a 2.0 MJD have ever been evaluated for a frontal offset test in the RHD configuration.
Thanks for the research.

Such nuggets of fact are hard to come by while mainstream advertorials and compromised mass auto journalism(?) are just drowning us in a sea of useless information.

It takes a keen eye and motivation to dig deep and unearth these deeply buried inferences.

Kudos.

Im surprised there's not much chatter on the issue of GNCAP from those shopping in this segment. If we don't ask for it, car makers would be more than happy to not bring it up.

Is it the lack of choice or is it just our market's priorities? Looks and Features are all that sell?.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 16:25   #523
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Thanks for the research.

Such nuggets of fact are hard to come by while mainstream advertorials and compromised mass auto journalism(?) are just drowning us in a sea of useless information.

It takes a keen eye and motivation to dig deep and unearth these deeply buried inferences.

Kudos.
Thanks for the kind words. I believe team-bhp as a forum excels in providing such nuggets of information. From the extremely detailed reviews, long term ownership reports, insider scoops to DIYs, mods, travelogues, or just casual chatter; you'll find everything here. You probably already know this better than I, being a senior member yourself. Perhaps our quest to know more about cars led us to this forum because, as you said, mass auto journalism (?) perhaps isn't focused on the part in italics anymore. Maybe it still has its charm in the entertainment industry, but as a car buying guide, I'll prefer to be here, reading instead of watching.

I'll be honest, it did take some grind to find every car with a 2.0 MJD; sit through, download, open and read each and every crash result pdf, while also simultaneously trying to discern the policy for extension of a crash rating to other variants without a crash test, and also the oil filter placement across various models of the Compass. The enthusiast in me probably pulled me through the initial chores, but I was only partly successful in the latter endeavor— I couldn't find the oil filter placement of RHD 2.4 L compass sold in Australia; maybe I didn't look hard enough. In the end, I still only ended up with speculative evidence, not something concrete like RSR's chassis diagrams showing the structural differences between Indian and first-world Hyundais and Kias. (Totally loved that nugget, which you wouldn't find in your typical mass auto journalism (?))

I will say though, the credit for this still goes to ram87pune. It was his post that created a doubt in my mind in the first place, otherwise I was content in my own world, where the Harrier was undoubtedly a 4-star car at the very least; without exception, and without a crash test.
As I set out to investigate the extra tidbits in his post, like the placement of the oil filter, the configuration actually tested in EURO NCAP; I kept finding data to at least not dismiss his post completely; that the doubt it created in my mind wasn't misplaced.

Quote:
Im surprised there's not much chatter on the issue of GNCAP from those shopping in this segment. If we don't ask for it, car makers would be more than happy to not bring it up.
With the prevalent crash norms in India, I think that is likely to be the case, unless the majority votes with their wallet, which, on the other hand, is not very likely to be the case.

Quote:
Is it the lack of choice or is it just our market's priorities? Looks and Features are all that sell?.
The market is very hard to decipher. My take? Probably a bit of both, can't say for sure though. But I'd like to partly disagree with your last statement. Features sell, maybe yes. But looks? No. I assume the current Creta wouldn't win too many beauty contests. But hey, that's just what I think. My parents are pretty old school, but even they found the Creta decent looking, contrast this to the Vento being called not-pretty by my father the very same day.
Yeah, that happened, and yes, I'm still trying to figure out the why, what and how of it.

Last edited by rpm : 20th March 2021 at 16:38.
rpm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:17   #524
BANNED

From one of my sources in M&M design, Thar launch was a testing platform for the new petrol engine when they are known for successful diesel SUVs. The response received was lukewarm and encouraged the team to pursue their engine tweaks planned for Scorpio & XUV launch.

This is something everyone had in their mind, even my friend who worked in Hyundai and now in Ford advised me at least for 6 months from launch to let the initial juggles settle down. Seems we can go for it at launch.

Do any BHPian gets hands on factual launch timelines?
Old 21st March 2021, 20:10   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Can we deduct some points for being the rumoured cause of Tata's lack of motivation to send the Harrier twins for a crash test? For allegedly shaving 2 points off an otherwise rumoured 4-star vehicle? ....

None, and by that I mean absolutely none of the vehicles with a 2.0 MJD have ever been evaluated for a frontal offset test in the RHD configuration.
The point has already been shared on TBHP - not sure if it was RavenAvi or @amitmechengg.

Roughly: The 2.0 MJD in RHD config has an issue with intrusion below steering wheel in case of impact/crash. This is the reason why vehicles with this combination have not been certified yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

Last edited by condor : 21st March 2021 at 20:11.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks